1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (January)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

Each area has its own style and slang. I Don't Hate teh West Coast its just that it has been weak for a while.

2. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I've heard three tracks("Just a Lil Dude", "Insomnia" and "Cameo Afro") off the upcoming RZA Presents: The Afro Samurai Soundtrack, and they are all fire. It comes out January 30th on Koch Records.

3. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I might grab that RZA when it comes out, but I'm not too keen on all the guest spots I heard were on there.

I picked up Blueprint's 1988 today. I listened to it once before work and I'm not sure what to make of it. It's like the album is less than the sum of its parts.

4. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Like who?

5. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Actually, I just checked it out and I have no idea what I was talking about. I'm obviously confusing it with another album, but I don't know what.

6. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

I Just P/U Gym Class Hereos " as Mean as School Children"

7. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Are they on Rhymesayers? I think I saw a video from them on MySpace. Kinda reminded me of Yall So Stupid. If they'd come out 10 years ago I'd have been all over it, but now I'm not sure I could stomach more than a song or two.

8. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

No, they are another indie label.

9. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

I was on the fence with that record for a long time, and then I ultimated decided it wasn't that great: it seems too caught up in trying to rock an old-school vibe (which is more than cool in my book), but it never does anything to distinguish itself.

On that note, I picked up Handsome Boy Modeling School's So...How's Your Girl? on a whim, and I forgot how awesome it is.

10. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

That's probably where I'll end up on it, as well. He kinda reminds me of Akrobatik.

Is that the first one with the "B-Boy Megaton" or whatever? If so, I remember playing that constantly when it came out, but for the life of me I can't recall anything on it that I really liked. It's one of those CDs I loved to play when I really didn't want to listen to music.

11. Chrono1995

Yeah, this is the one. This record's pretty solid, but I didn't like White People.

12. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I picked up Atmosphere's YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING and listened to it before work. It's fairly bodacious.

#52 Stuckey, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah. Definately one of the top 10 records of 2005. Much improved over Seven's Travels. It's like Ant decided, "you know, for this record, I should make more soul-based beats."

14. Chrono1995

Soul-based beats are usually the best way to go, anyway. We should rename this thread to "This Month in Hip-Hop" at the rate we're going.

15. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

It's only the second Atomsphere album I've purchased/listened to. The other is LUCY FORD. The vibe on the two are quite different, but I like them both. I'll probably listen to YOU CAN'T IMAGINE alot more for awhile, but I imagine LUCY FORD will get played a lot more in the long run.

I don't think I can remember ten albums from 2005 that I really enjoyed. In fact, other than Geto Boys' FOUNDATION I can't think of any. Was SHADOWS ON THE SUN released in 2005? That album is terrific.

#55 Stuckey, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  16. Chrono1995

I think it was. I also know that Edan's Beauty & The Beat came out in 2005, and that's a CLASSIC. You should definitely check that one out. It's got some of the best beats and rhymes I've heard in the past three years.

17. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

If I see B&B while I'm downtown this weekend I may grab it. I kinda hate music shopping right now because I'm so looking forward to the new Brother Ali. Every time I go in a store I check for it even though I know it's still months away.

18. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, Shadows of the Sun was released in 2003.

Here are my Top 10 Hip-Hop albums of 2005:

1. Common - BE
    2. Kanye West - Late Registration
    3. Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
    4. Jin - Presents the Emcee's Proper'ganda
    5. Slug and Murs - Felt Vol 2: A Tribute to Christina Ricci
    6. Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
    7. The Game - The Documentary(I know Game's lyrical shortfalls, but damn if he can't pick great beats)
    8. Talib Kweli - Right About Now(I know it's not a album, but it was better than The Beautiful Struggle)
    9. Aesop Rock - Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives(EP)
    10. Dangerdoom - The Mouse and the Mask

Also, the Lucy Ford EP is great. I love the song he dedicated towards his mom.

19. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Based on that list and the fact that I can't remember anything else other than the Geto Boys album and Chamillionaire's mixtape, I gotta say 2005 was awful. I've heard seven of those albums and there are only three that I can fathom putting on a Top 10 list*. Based on your list and my crap memory here's my Top Six:

1. Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun (Because I can't bring myself to put anything else on this list at #1 and I was happier when I thought this was an '05 release.)
    2. Geto Boys - The Foundation
    3. Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine...
    4. Chamillionaire - Mixtape Messiah
    5. Talib Kweli - Right About Now
    6. Common - Be

The four I refuse to put on my list are THE MINSTREL SHOW, THE DOCUMENTARY, THE MOUSE & THE MASK, and LATE REGISTRATION. Little Brother bores me to tears, Game's and Kanye's albums got beats but they feel wasted, and that Doom album felt like an internet novelty that got a real release. If I had to put one of those on my list I'd probably put the Little Brother just because it's not bad just dull.

Edit: I just realized that first sentence could be seen as me attacking your taste, and I want to be clear that I'm not.

20. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I picked up Eyedea & Abilities' E&A today, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

Also, that Phil guy from Pantera doesn't seem like a very likable character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.