1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (February)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Chrono1995, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Yeah, especially some of the drums. Definitely harkens back to the Pretty Hate Machine era a little bit, although certainly not without the advancements of The Downward Spiral.

Meanwhile, "Me, I'm Not" has also leaked now, once again via a USB flash drive in a concert bathroom. Another great song. This one is more reminiscent of the slow and brooding songs from The Fragile (The Wretched, Even Deeper, etc.), but with fewer chords and more of an electronic sound.

2. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

I'm not normally an NIN fan but I've been sucked into this whole viral marketing thing. I've read all the sites and everything and I'm really into it. More importantly though, I actually really like all three songs. I've actually put the album on my list of album releases.

It's funny because in January even, I would never have considered buying a Nine Inch Nails album.

3. SirLemming

This is kind of a stretch for this thread, but Mute Math's "Typical" just got sung on American Idol and I'm freaking psyched. I just can't believe it. Those guys have been working long and hard for almost a decade now and they're finally finding success... Congratulations.

Speaking of "viral marketing", a lot of us NIN fans are starting to question the term. If songs continue to leak at this rate, it won't be marketing; it will be the album. Trent Reznor did mention that a lot of us would hate what he does with this album; maybe he meant that it will be released via MP3s before (or surely not... instead of?!) the CD. The most concrete statement he's given on the matter is that what we're witnessing now "is" Year Zero.

In any event, this stuff is more like "interactive album art" than "viral marketing". As incredibly pretentious as that sounds, it's somewhat accurate. Unlike something like "ilovebees.com", this actually is explicitly related to the album.

4. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

A little hip-hop news (possibly old) for NIN fans. Reznor's featured on the El-P single "Flyentology". I don't know what he does, but I'm assuming it's vocal as El usually does all his own production.

Edit: You can hear it at www.myspace.com/elproducto

I like it.

#84 Stuckey, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  5. The Myst

What's his stance on downloading music?

6. SirLemming

He's despised it in the past. But these leaks are 99% sure to be orchestrated by him. He hasn't spoken out against them yet, as he surely would have by now, and we're obviously supposed to be hearing them. This is further confirmed by the fact that "Me, I'm Not" also came with an MP3 of noise that, examined under a spectrograph, gave a phone number with another one of those weird audio clips. Also, I'm quite sure that EchoingTheSound.org would not be endorsing the distribution of these MP3s if they were illegal.

BTW, I'll listen to that Flyentology song tomorrow.

7. SirLemming

Later today, unplugged.mtv.com is going to premiere KoRn Unplugged. So far, they have "Blind" up and it sounds awesome -- as a Spanish flamenco song! They also have the previously released "Freak On A Leash", which is equally awesome.

EDIT: Correction: looks more like all of them are up already. Four songs in, it's amazing. "Falling Away From Me" is quite beautiful and very different from the AOL Sessions acoustic version. Right now I'm hearing the cover of "Creep" by Radiohead.

EDIT: Re-correction: maybe not all of them. But a lot of them.

EDIT NUMBER THREE: Now they have a thing called "full concert" up there. I don't think it actually is full, just less interrupted and edited more like it probably will be on TV.

In any event, I absolutely love this. They've really done some amazing things with these songs. It's not just acoustic; it's some sort of new, twisted brand of dark orchestral music. "Falling Away From Me" is still my favorite of the set; it's really haunting. Also, the cover of "Creep" has some of Jonathan Davis's best vocals ever. The collaboration with The Cure seems legendary, although I've never heard the original song, so I probably can't appreciate what they did fully. But whatever they did to combine the songs, it flows smoothly and couldn't feel more right.
    All of the songs that were done previously for the AOL Sessions are different here, either just with added orchestral instruments or with drastically different arrangements.

#87 SirLemming, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  8. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

The Mad Caddies are a great band for loud horns. My personal favorite album of theirs is their most recent "Just One More", however I'd highly recommend "Duck And Cover" as well.

I.. Um.... Actually really like RBF, so if you want an album that will sample their style the best (to decide if you like it) would be "Turn The Radio Off"...

I'm a bit of a ska nut, myself.

9. The Myst

In 1979, Ozzy Osbourne was fired from Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi, guitarist of the band, talked to his friend Ronnie James Dio, who had just been fired from his band Rainbow, about forming a new band. They sat down together and wrote a song. Then they recruited Bill Ward (Black Sabbath's drummer) to play drums and Geoff Nicholls to play bass. Eventually, Geezer Butler, Sabbath's bassist, decided he wanted in. Geoff Nicholls switched to playing the keyboards. Together, they recorded an album titled Heaven And Hell. Despite their original intentions for this to be a new band, this became the first post-Ozzy album by Black Sabbath. The album was released in 1980.

Heaven And Hell is the best post-Ozzy album and one of the best albums the band ever recorded. It was damn near perfect in every way. Black Sabbath had made a huge comeback. During the tour for the album, Bill Ward dropped out and was replaced with Vinny Appice. They continued with no more problems.

In 1981, they released another great album. The Mob Rules. An instant classic, Dio Sabbath was riding high.

In 1982, however, the band decided to put out a live album. One drunk engineer later and the band was broken up. Why? A drunk engineer who was messing up the mix on Live Evil told Tony that Ronnie was sneaking into the studio to turn up his vocals in the mix. Ronnie and Vinny went off to form Dio while Tony and Geezer released Live Evil and then tried to pick up the pieces of the band.

From 1983-1991, Black Sabbath released several albums, only one of which featured Geezer. The rest just had Tony. Most of them were pretty good.

In 1992, Geezer Butler attended a Dio show and met up with Ronnie backstage. They got into a discussion, then Geezer talked to Tony, and they decided to get the band back together. Some problems occurred and Ronnie left the band again. They brought in former Black Sabbath singer Tony Martin, who had sung on three of the aforementioned albums released between 1983 and 1991. But Ronnie returned, they pulled it together, and released easily the heaviest Sabbath album since before Ozzy left. It was awesome. They did a tour. But by the end of 1992, things were going sour again. Ronnie and Vinny left again to reform Dio. Tony and Geezer reunited with Bill and Ozzy briefly.

In 2006, rumors of a reunion started. Ronnie admitted to talking to Tony about a greatest hits thing that was coming out. In late 2006, it was officially announced that Dio Sabbath had reunited with Ronnie, Tony, Geezer, and Bill, and they would be touring. Bill dropped out soon after and was replaced by Vinny Appice again. Then the band recorded three new songs for the greatest hits compilation.

Yesterday, the first of the new songs, "The Devil Cried", hit radio. Today, you can listen to it on MySpace here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=85606693

10. SirLemming

UK members of The Spiral (Nine Inch Nails' official fan club) were treated to a surprise listen of the entire new album at today's Manchester concert. Non-Spiral members, or Spiral members who live outside the UK, now hate UK Spiral members.

Someone also received a USB pen, and promises to upload whatever's on it once the show is over.

11. SirLemming

As predicted, the NIN song on the USB pen was "In This Twilight" (a graphic appeared next to that song on yearzero.nin.com this morning). It's very different than anyone expected; a slow, moody, romantic song. It still has the electronic and "noisy" sensibilities of the other leaked songs, but it's super-melodic with pretty vocals. It's fairly short, but it remains to be seen how it interacts with the songs before and after it, since it's the second-to-last track on the album.

The USB drive also had an image on it with a clue linking to a new site: http://www.hollywoodinmemoriam.org, which not-too-coincidentally has to do with the Oscars...

EDIT: Just gave "In This Twilight" a second listen and... I'm speechless. I'm confident that in a few months, I'll be calling this one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It really has that otherwordly quality to it.

#91 SirLemming, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  12. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

More buys, trying to find what I heard in that laundromat long ago....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. TheMecca

They Might Be Giants' drummer announced the title of their next adult album and the tentative date: the album's called "The Else" and it'll release no later than June 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.