1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (February)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Chrono1995, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

Metallica's cover of The Extacy of Gold is amazing. I can't even remember the last time I liked a song this much on hearing it once.

2. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

I was gonna mention stuff about Metallica's new work but since nobody cared about the Megadeth stuff, I didn't.

Yeah, I really like this cover. I think their new album could really be awesome. A lot of people doubt it after St. Anger (Which I honestly didn't think was as horrible as a lot of people make it out to be) but based on the way they and Rick Rubin are talking about it, the new songs they've played live already, and the sound of this recording, I think Metallica could make a huge comeback. They're my favorite band so I'm certainly hoping for it.

I think this cover is basically the opposite of everything that was wrong with St. Anger. It has a great guitar tone, good production, Kirk rocks out the solos, James is on key when he doing the vocal harmonies, Lars' drumming sounds like he's playing actual drums again, and from the new songs they played live and the way he plays the classics, I actually like Rob better than Jason.

3. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Assuming that's intentional on Reznor's part the spectograph thing is kinda dope. The bottom pictures aren't.

4. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

Its easily their weakest album, but I didn't hate St. Anger either. Aside from Lars' goofy drum anyway. If half the reports about Bob Rock being the cause of most of the lame things Metallica has done in the last 15 years are true getting rid of him can only be a good thing.

5. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

Yeah, there are some kids who are actually into the more rootsy stuff and traditional Jamaican ska, but by and large most of 'em want loud horns and goofy lyrics. Then again, this album might turn their ears in the right direction and get them to appreciate Jamaican music a little.

6. NachoHat

NachoHat Counting down the hours

Man, Modest Mouse are a bunch of sell-outs.

That's why they opened their new album with Isaac Brock wailing like some cross between an angry sea captain and Bone Machine-era Tom Waits.

Sell-outs.

(Two tracks in, the new album is rad.)

(Oh and upon repeated listens, I can confidently say the new Ted Leo is up there with his best work. Which is to say it's up there with everything else he's ever done.)

7. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

You deserve a high five.

Also I had no idea Ted Leo was even done with his new album let alone that it even leaked. This year is going to be the best. =[

8. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

9. NachoHat

NachoHat Counting down the hours

I won't.

Now a listen and a half in, the new Modest Mouse is top notch.

10. SirLemming

NIN's "Survivalism" has been played on radio (a bit earlier than expected). There are some good recordings up on echoingthesound.org. On the surface this song is a lot like "The Hand That Feeds", but I think it's more ominous, more dynamic, and more unpredictable. To describe the sound, think of THTF but make it more synthesized, give it a more industrial Broken-style rhythm, take out the bridge, and add a really ominous guitar part at the end.

After a few listens I like it a lot. Very energetic.

11. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Wow. That's... saddening.

I remember that they were talking about adopting a more old-school recording style and doing an album every year.

12. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Would Mighty Bosstones and Less Than Jake (if they're even ska) be more inline with traditional or "loud horns and goofy lyrics"?

13. SirLemming

14. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

for all you fans of classical music, Starbucks Entertainment has just released a new title, currently only available in Western Washington state and online:

Echoes: Classic Works Transformed
    performed by the Seattle Symphony Orchestra
    featuring the works of Stravinsky, Brahms, Monk, Handel, and others.

you can read about it at the seattle times
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2003572313_sympdisc15.html

fast delivery: ordered Wed night, arrived Sat morn via standard USPS.

15. Slipperman

Slipperman Progressive Rock Fan

Someone sent me a PM asking about my thoughts on Ashley Tisdale's album Headstrong, so I'll go ahead and post them...
    IMHO it's a decent pop album with some catchy songs on it. Although you probably won't like it if you dislike girlish Hilary-Duff-esque vocals, or dance pop in general.
    Of course IMO it doesn't hold a candle up to the music of B*Witched or Andrew W.K. (let alone Jethro Tull, Yes or Genesis, my three all-time favorite acts), but Headstrong is a pretty good album, if you're into upbeat pop music.

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

16. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

The latter.

17. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

I would agree for the most part. Less Than Jake are no longer quite as goofy, and they have all but abandoned ska of any form on their last few records, but back in the day they recorded an entire album of Grease songs. Deifinitely goofy. The Bosstones had a much more punk and hardcore influenced ska sound before they got signed to a major label, but most people only know them for "The Impression That I Get." They weren't all that goofy, but they were more akin to harder edged bands like Voodoo Glowskulls and Against All Authority than Less Than Jake. In my opinion, the goofiest of the big ska bands (and therefore the ska band that I abhor the most) is Reel Big Fish. I don't wanna get into why I have such a hatred for this band, but if you've listened to any of their records you should get a pretty good idea of what I meant by loud horns and goofy lyrics.

If you want some quality ska recommendations, ask away! I'm something of a ska elitist, if you haven't gathered that yet...

18. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Gotcha. I'm not big into ska, but I did like the album with "The Impression That I Get" and I've enjoyed some earlier LTJ stuff as well as some VGS album I have. The only RBF stuff I heard was on BASKETBALL. I care a great deal for the horns, though. I never paid much attention to the lyrics.

19. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

I'm liking the new Bloc Party. It's not as good as their first one, but very listenable.

20. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

"My Violent Heart" has an interesting, almost old-school feel to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.