1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (February)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Chrono1995, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Well, it seems that way if you're not a NIN fan, of course. But for us, it's a treat. A whole flood of puzzle pieces just got dropped on us. What's especially interesting is that some of it seems to tie into previous albums. There are a lot of references to a lyric from a song on The Fragile, which came out in 1999. (The lyric in question is "The clouds will part and the sky cracks open and God himself will reach his ****ing arm through just to push you down" -- several images on the sites depict a giant arm reaching down from the clouds.) There also seem to be a lot of ways that this could tie into With Teeth (including a song title that seems very likely to correspond to a mysterious set of lyrics on the WT lyric sheet), almost as if this will actually turn out to be some sort of "unnanounced" double album.

Like I said, not too interesting to people who aren't fans, but I'm sure there are at least a few here. And every NIN fan will want to know about this, no doubt about it.

2. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

Picked up Lucinda Williams' new album, West. Kinda disappointing. "Are You Alright?" and "Words" are great, but the rest is just kind of okay. Maybe it'll be better the next time I spin it. =\

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not really a "fan," though I do like Pretty Hate Machine and the Purest Feeling demo ( :D ), and I've heard some other stuff at my friend's house since he's a huge (and I mean huge) NIN fan, but I find all of the creativity that Trent Reznor puts into his albums and promotion interesting. But I'd kind of hate to be a big fan because it seems like there's always so much stuff to try to keep up with. :)

4. SirLemming

Well there wasn't always. Until now, it's been 4, 5, and 6-year waits between albums. But now there's an explosion of activity.

For example: it's just been announced that there will be ANOTHER Nine Inch Nails album in 2008!

(P.S. - I actually became a fan some time between The Fragile and With Teeth by mooching off my brother, and I only own With Teeth, so I'm not the master of NIN either.)

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow! That will really make my friend's day when he gets back from his trip in a week. He's already going crazy about all the NIN stuff coming out this year.

Whenever he talks about having to wait such long gaps between albums, I tell him, "That's nothing. I had to wait ten years between Huey Lewis albums." (I'm a big Huey Lewis and the News fan. :) )

6. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Out of curiosity, how much did you listen to the album? I strongly disliked it at first, but it grew on me a lot over time, and it took me a while to really "get" it.

7. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

So what if it's an unnanounced double album, though? I mean, if it is or isn't connected to his other albums it's still new music. For Mr Reznor I can see where creating some big "web" with his albums makes sense, but I don't see what the consumer gets out of it.

8. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

They don't get anything out of it. They just enjoy the mysteries and meanings behind the music.

And personally, I like the whole thing and I'm not even an NIN fan. I only like "The Hand That Feeds".

9. SirLemming

The consumer gets... coolness. That's basically it. But isn't that enough?
    If you don't get it you don't get it, and I really don't see how I could convince someone who's not interested in the band that this is a really cool thing that demands interest.
    For me, this campaign is making the wait much more interesting. I was originally considering skimming through the leak whenever it happened, but now I feel like I need to do the project justice and wait for its proper release. I don't want to skip past any part of this process.

Meanwhile, since apparently this album is now the FIRST part of a double album, then I guess what I said is obsolete, although I still suspect a connection. If there is, it's significant because it could also make With Teeth a better album. But there's no point going into that here.

For the record, I've seen that Recycle Bin screenshot somewhere else before. "Tinymixtapes.com", eh?

10. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

I'm still a fan of Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile (though not nearly as much as I was in high school), but I just couldn't stand a single song on the record. I dunno, sans a few nostalgic spins of the aforementioned, NIN's music has just all of its appeal.

11. SirLemming

I'm not going to post about EVERY new aspect of this NIN thing, but this is significant -- another tour shirt had a bunch of numbers highlighted on it, and this time it's a phone number (US area/country code) that contains more cryptic stuff and the first clip of music from the new album. (1-310)-295-1040

EDIT: We also have our first leak, posted rather mysteriously by someone who claims it came from a flash drive in a bathroom at the first concert of the tour. No one's really sure if it's a prank or what. Some people think it's part of the campaign. It's the song "My Violent Heart". And apparently, if you put the static at the end of a song through a spectrograph (whatever that is), it reveals yet another image of "The Presence", a.k.a. God's arm reaching down from the sky.

#51 SirLemming, Feb 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  12. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

That makes sense. And, yeah, that's enough. That being said, liking the band or not has nothing to do with appreciating this gimmick, though. There will no doubt be fans who only care about the music on the album and don't mess with the gimmick and (as I alluded to earlier) I'm sure there will be non-fans who buy this (and every other NIN album) just because of all the stuff that's happening now.

13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Here is the music video for Talib Kweli's second single off Eardrum, "More Or Less.": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiToWl0oMbI I like how the visuals match up with the lyrics. As for Eardrum, it's suppose to come in late February( one date said February 27) but, I kinda doubt it.

14. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I bought JESUS PRICE SUPERSTAR today. I didn't think I'd say this, but I think I'll end up enjoying this more than MONKEY BARZ. The production on this crushes the last album, and Ruck is always dope on the mic.

I want a Rock solo and new Heltah Skeltah album soon.

15. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The clouds will part and the sky cracks open and God himself will reach his ****ing arm through just to push you down."

I'm really captivated by this whole thing.

#55 The Myst, Feb 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  16. NachoHat

NachoHat Counting down the hours

The new Ted Leo is excellent.

That's all I feel like saying right now.

17. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

What are we looking at in those pictures?

18. SirLemming

Yikes, giant images. Maybe you should use the regular imageshack link for that one.

Josh, the first image is a spectrograph of the static at the end of the leaked Nine Inch Nails MP3. I don't know what a spectrograph is exactly, something to do with frequencies I guess (it starts out as static, then the pitch slides down and you hear a few really low frequencies, then it slides back up). The second image is from one of the viral marketing sites for the album. They seem to depict a giant arm coming down from the sky.

(Well, you asked.)

In other news... this is a really great day for me. Tons of NIN stuff, no classes, lots of snow, AND... QOTSA.com finally broke the silence about the new Queens of the Stone Age album. Nothing really conclusive yet and they're still being pretty coy about it, but we're supposed to be hearing something soon. (It claims that the album will be titled "Era Vulgaris" and lists what "may or may not be" song titles.)

19. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

Today I picked up:
    Crime In Stereo - The Troubled Stateside
    Bullet Train to Vegas - We Put Scissors Where Our Mouths Are
    A Wilhelm Scream - Ruiner

All for a measley $18. They're all pretty good, especially A Wilhelm Scream, who thoroughly rip. I've seen them live before, but for some reason I enjoy their recorded stuff a lot more. Also got an advance copy of Big D and the Kids Table's Strictly Rude, and it's pretty good. A lot more reggae and dub in the mix, which I think is a good thing, but I would understand how ska kids could end up hating it.

20. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

I don't know. Considering how much ska kids dig reggae (well, mostly Bob Marley, since that's all most cats know) and The Slackers, I can see it going over really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.