1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (February)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Chrono1995, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

It's that time of the month again.

2. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

The new Nine Inch Nails single, "Survivalism", is getting a video filmed for it on February 5th, so maybe the song will be released this month. If the album's coming out in April it would kind of have to be, I think...

3. sdp

sdp miscrave

I still can't beleive Trent stuck to his words with a new album that didn't take 5 years to make.

excited but i also kind of liked waiting 5 years for NIN.

4. Slipperman

Slipperman Progressive Rock Fan

Ashley Tisdale's new album, Headstrong, is due out on the 6th.

Being an Ashley fan, I wonder how it's going to sound...

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll probably also get Headstrong. I liked her cover of "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid. (I typically dislike a lot of current pop, but for some reason, I find the "Disney pop" really catchy. :) )

6. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

As one of the few people on this site who is seriously into punk rock and affiliated genres, this is gonna be a pretty rockin' month. Last Tuesday, the new Alkaline Trio rarities comp, Remains, came out, and it's better than their last two albums combined. Also been diggin' Only Crime's Virulence quite a bit, and recently got into Set Your Goals.

Stuff I'm looking forward to this month:
    Lifetime - Lifetime
    Bloc Party - A Weekend In the City (though I've heard nothing but bad things)
    Nothington - All In
    Smoke or Fire - This Sinking Ship

I got an advance copy of the new Big D & The Kids Table album today, and it's pretty good so far. Also, are any of the hip-hop-heads on the board familiar with Busdriver? I know he just put out an album and I need a hip-hop fix, so should I go with him or go elsewhere?

7. Chrono1995

Busdriver is excellent stuff, my man. The beats are extremely glitchy, but his flow is lightning-fast, and there a few dub and reggae influences sprinkled throughout. It's a bit hard to wrap your head around at first, but the payoff is more than worth it. Definitely check out his new record, Roadkillovercoat.

Also, if you dig that sort of sound, check out Subtle's For Hero: For Fool. It's one of the most creative records I've heard in the last six months, and the only record I've heard that is able to swap out punk, symphonic breakdowns, and hip-hop on the fly.

And finally, check out Spank Rock. Anything Spank Rock.

EDIT: Needless to say, this stuff's a bit...out there.

8. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

Also Chrome Children 2 is pretty good you can download it form adultswim.com

#8 Moto Pete, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I've fallen in love with the Afro Samurai soundtrack. RZA shows why he is the master. "Just a Lil Dude", "Cameo Afro", "Insomnia", and the "Outro theme" are just some of the amazing things about this album. I can't wait for the new Wu-Tang Clan album.

BTW, who listens to Gym Class Heroes? I just wanted to know your opinions on them.

10. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

Ozzy's new album is supposed to come out this month but I'll be surprised if it does considering how there's been no promotion yet.

EDIT: And then I noticed Wikipedia had changed. Nothing on the page changed except that they replaced "February" with "May" as when his album will come out.

Nice. Well that means nothing I care about comes out this month.

11. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Dir en grey's new album The Marrow of a Bone comes out this month. I've heard it already *cough*leak*cough* and I love it.

12. Moto Pete

Dammit, i forgot about that album and it as only been 3 days. Yes That is Great also

So try
    Afro Samurai Soundtrack
    Gym Class Heroes As Cruel as School Children
    Cee-lo Closet Freak: The Best Of Cee-Lo Green the Soul Machine
    Hi-Tek Hi-Teknology 2: The Chip

As for Gym Class Heroes i Love " As Cruel As School Children" , "Papercuts Chronicales" is alright.

13. SirLemming

Yet he's still doing his best to make the wait as intolerable as possible.

http://yearzero.nin.com/

Yes, that's right. A blank tracklist.
    EDIT: Orrrr maybe just nothing. They keep changing it. Before, it had 15 "tracks" listed but with blank squares in place of actual letters for the names.

OTHER EDIT: Not big enough news to make a new post, but P.O.D. is supposed to have a new album this summer. Looks like 2007 will be pretty packed for me... just not for a while.

#13 SirLemming, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  14. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I picked up Rza's AFRO SAMURAI and Atmosphere's OVERCAST! this week.

The only track that I can see possibly making me put that AFRO back in is "Who Is The Man". Of course, in six months I could think the album's a masterpiece. I go through phases with Rza.

OVERCAST! isn't bad, but Slug and Ant have gotten ALOT better over time. Does this pre-date the LUCY FORD EPs? I'm asking because I thought the EPs were their first stuff, but Spawn isn't on LF and it sounds more inline with their current stuff than OVERCAST!. Assuming OVERCAST! is pre-LF (at least in release on Rhymesayers) I think I like Atmosphere more as their careers progress. I've heard SEVEN'S TRAVELS is a turd, though.

I just realized I also haven't heard GOD LOVES UGLY.

#14 Stuckey, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  15. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

[​IMG]

That's the final cover for Megadeth's upcoming album, UNITED ABOMINATIONS, their 11th studio album and the first with their latest line-up featuring Glen Drover (Lead Guitar; Eidolon, King Diamond), Shawn Drover (Drums; Eidolon), James LoMenzo (Bass; White Lion, Slash's Snakepit, Ozzy Osbourne, David Lee Roth, Lynyrd Skinhead, Pride & Glory, Black Label Society), and, of course, band founder and only consistent member, Dave Mustaine (Vocals, Rhythm Guitar; Metallica, MD.45).

Two songs have already been released. A live performance of "Washington Is Next" from Loud Park and a demo version of "Gears Of War", both of which can be found at Megadeth's Myspace.

The album will be released on May 8, 2007.

Here's a track listing:

"United Abominations" (The lyrics of which were released through a contest on the message board.)
    "Washington Is Next" (Played live several times over the course of Gigantour 2 and a performance at Loud Park was released on Myspace, as mentioned.)
    "Gears Of War" (Title inspired by the video game, it was played live several times including at the premiere of the game and the demo was released on Myspace, as mentioned.)
    "Out On The Tiles" (A cover of the Led Zeppelin song.)
    "Amerikhastan" (Revealed by Mustaine on the board.)
    "Blessed Are The Dead" (Revealed by Mustaine on the board.)
    "Never Walk Alone" (Revealed by Mustaine on the board.)
    "Sleepwalker" (Revealed by Mustaine on the board.)
    "Burnt Ice" (Revealed by Mustaine on the board. On a personal note, I said the title didn't make sense and according to a system lord, actually offended a member of the band.)

There will be 11 songs, so two have yet to be revealed. They also recorded two extra songs to be used as B-sides later on.

Now for my personal notes on the album.

First off, I hate that cover. They've redesigned their mascot entirely and he looks terrible now. Here's a picture of the original Vic Rattlehead:

[​IMG]

He looks so much better there than on the United Abominations cover. It's also far too busy. There's too much going on in it to focus on one thing. It's just terrible.

But it's about the music right? Which leads me to the music.

"Washington Is Next" - This song has some really great riffs but there are a ton of lyrics and they overwhelm the song. The vocal melodies are really strained because of Dave trying to sing so much at once. The solo is a good solo but it's totally out of place. It sounds like it's from a totally different song. Maybe Glen is just showing off live and it fits better on the album. But in the live performances, it doesn't seem like it fits the song's rhythm.

"Gears Of War" - Slow and heavy, this song bores me to death. It picks up towards the end but it's just a very boring song overall. I've heard it compared to their previous album Countdown To Extinction. While it was their most commercially successful album, I think it's one of their worst. So maybe that's why I don't like the song.

Still, I like what I'm hearing from "Washington Is Next" (Despite how wordy it is and despite the weird solo) and Megadeth is one of my favorite bands so I'm sticking by this album all the way and I'm buying it on release date. I just hope it doesn't disappoint me. Their last album was incredible, though that was with a different line-up. But Dave writes it all anyway so if this album is going in a different direction, it probably doesn't matter who's playing on it, it was probably Dave's decision. I just hope I agree with his decision.

16. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Overcast is Atmosphere's first album from 1997.

17. SirLemming

NIN.com has confirmed the release date of Year Zero as April 17th.

And as I was coming over here to post this, yearzero.nin.com finally posted an actual track title: "the beginning of the end."

18. Chrono1995

Dude, Mugen.

Black Milk. Check. Him. Out.

19. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I've heard good things about him, so I'll check him out.

Also, 9th Wonder and Little Brother have parted ways. The split was on good-terms, and there are no hard feelings. Also, it seems LB have left Atlantic Records, due to differences in opinion. Their third LP, Getback might come out on Asylum Records to fulfill their contract with Atlantic.

20. Moto Pete

wow bad news w/ little brother

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.