1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (August)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

Well it's good. I haven't really digested it yet but "Your Heart Is An Empty Room" is the winner in my head, if you exclude "Stable Song."

"Stable Song," is great and it does fit with the album, but it also fit much better when it was on the Photo Album. And yes, it was weighty and long but **** it was great to hear the echoes over the drums and melody for 6 minutes in the original

2. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Late Regirstration......wow. I think I can safely say this right here is a winner. The production on this thing is superb. Jon Brion most definitely helped. And quite honestly, if it doesn't go platnium within the next week, I'll be kind of surprised. Top five songs, to me, are:

Late
    Gone
    We Major
    Touch the Sky
    Hey Mama

But then, of course that'll no doubt change in a few days.

[​IMG]

1. Wake Up Mr. West: Intro. Pretty amusing. Bernie Mac setting us off.

2. Heard Em Say: And...right into the good stuff. Maroon 5's Adam Levine lends his voice and makes this song that much better. It's mellow and smooth. And oddly enough goes into the next song realy well.

3. Touch the Sky: This is the Just Blaze produced track. Featuring Lupe Fiasco(who is quite good, his little Lupin thing was nice), and it's the first upbeat song. Basically covering what the title implies with it's lyrics.

4. Gold Digger: What is this, the second single? It's not bad at all. But it pales in comparison to the rest. Jaime Foxx lends his best Ray Charles impersonation, and prevails in the end.

5. Skit 1: This introduces us to this whole broke clan-thing, letting us hear their complaints and such. Not really funny, but pretty amusing and catchy.

6. Drive Slow: This sounds very much like a mainstream song, as you could tell by Paul Wall's appearence, but it retains some kind of identity among the rest. Just wonder why Paul Wall is on it. He has a good delivery, and flow, and the song suits him extremely well, but his lyrics kind of conflct with Kanye's. Who seems to shift a little off his strong suit to please this track. Eh, it's not bad though. I can listen to it. I can listen to the entire album. A fantasy cameo that I would have liked, would be Rakim. Could kind of see him no doubt twice as strong if he was on it. But, whatever.

7. My Way Home: This is the token song, where an emcee will let one of their buddies shine. And this picks right back up where Drive Slow lagged a little bit. Here Common gave a short, but great presentation. Could have been on Be, but it does just as well here aiding in a big way.

8. Crack Music: Don't even know why Game's name is tagged to this. He doesn't even have a verse. Just sitting there on the chorus Kanye already has handled. Anyway, it's a good song. Just not in my favorites. But it does express his feelings well.

9. Roses: Great. You can tell it's personal, as it's told in...what person is that again? Oh well, when you hear you'll know. My brain can't remember that simple thing right now. Just, it's from his point of view. But yeah, great.

10. Bring Me Down: Not really a Brandy fan, but she holds her own here. To me, it's one of the weaker tracks. Which means, it's good, but not on...the rest of the album's level. The only one I see losing it's replay value in a couple months.

11. Addiction: Nice. Love the riffs. Blend perfectly with everything else.

12. Skit 2: Probally the best of the skits, but whatever.

13. Diamonds from Sierra Leone(Remix): Now see, it's still damn good. But I don't understand what Jay Z added. If anything, he succeeded in making the original the superior. Still good. Just don't undestand why this is ahead of the original.

14. We Major: Quite possibly one of the top three prodcudes tracks. The only thing holding this down a tad bit is the fact that it sounds--overproduced, a bit. Won't be hearing this from a rapper everyday, that's for sure. Oh, and Really Doe sounds similar to his cousin, so at first, I couldn't tell which was Kanye. Eventually got it. Nas....yes.

15. Skit 3: Yeah, they're still broke.

16. Hey Mama- Rich.

17. Celebration: It's as the title says. This WANTS you to feel good so bad, you have no choice but to. Very "feel-good".

18. Skit 4: Uh-oh, an imposture.

19. Gone: Really good. Love it. Consequence and Cam'rom do extremely well covering their parts. It's tight in all aspects, especially production. No spill. Really like how Cam'rom comes in.

20. Diamonds from Sierra Leone: Like I said before, superior version. I'm sure we've all heard this already. One of the best samples you could use for a song like this, too. And what really makes this better than the remix, now that I think about it, is Kanye sticks on topic more than Jay Z. Even Kanye diverts a little here and there, but in the end you get a sense of what he's talking about. Jay seems like he fell in a steamy passion with the beat, but his lust was so strong a craving he lost focus. So, yeah, this version is better, but both hold their own really well.

21. Late: Most musical, in a way. Probally my favorite. Great ending to the disk.

Now, is it better than College Dropout? I say yes. Doesn't leave it in the dust, per se, but you can tell it's a better album.

#122 Youko Recca, Aug 31, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
  3. Shnay

Shnay Ne'er-Do-Well

I picked up Aeroplane recently and it took a little while to grow on me, but I'm really into it now. There are still a few tracks that don't do much for me, but most of them are really great.

I once heard Kanye West assure an an interviewer that he is definitely not a furry. I guess people made the assumption because he chose that bear suit college mascot thing as a recurring image. I think we need to find out whether or not more well known artists are furries. It's a question that is always on my mind.

4. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

To show off my love for this album one more time:
    [​IMG]

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

You mean first-person view?

6. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Pretty sad for a writer...

Nah, it's more third-person, I think. Or maybe a combination. I just couldn't get what I wanted out when it came to that part.

EDIT: That's what I was getting at, thanks Chrono. On that song it's the most prevalent to any of his others, so I felt a need to state it.

#126 Youko Recca, Aug 31, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
  7. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

Kanye uses a lot of juxtaposition in his lyrics, and frequently switches in and out of first person view. If there's anything I like about Late Registration, it's his lyrics. And Jon Brion...who I'm convinced needs to stick around with Kanye. "Gone" is probably the best hip-hop song I've heard all year.

8. sdp

sdp miscrave

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I like "Gone." Even Cam'ron's lyrics, which usually don't make sense, are funny as hell. I'm really feeling, "Heard Em' Say." No wonder why Kanye chose it as his third single.

10. HumanoidTyphoon

HumanoidTyphoon Active Member

holy rattlesnakes!

I'd say The only improvement could be the addition of the unreleased Oh Sister to go with Communist Daughter and Oh Comely (which I was hoping for with this UK reissue but it doesn’t seem so) But yeah it’s an album that grows and gets better each listen, as you make your way through the carrot flowers and start to realize what he’s talking about. Well except for carrot flowers that is, no matter how many listens I just don’t get….oh my! something seriously just hit me. Though it seems so obvious now, it’s all in the Synthetic Flying Machine.=D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.