1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (August)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

I don't really like the new 311 album either but I still think it's awesome that they did a first wave ska tune on it and I can't stop listening to it.

2. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

For some bizarre reason, the not-very-important Christian music web site JesusFreakHideout.com has the first samples of the new Kevin Max album, The Imposter. Check them out. They sound very different from either his debut album or his recent EP. http://jesusfreakhideout.com/cdreviews/TheImposter.asp

3. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

Thanks to moving out of my parents' place, I've only been able to buy one album this month, but luckily that album was The Suicide Machines' War Profiteering is Killing Us All. It's not quite as good as their last album, but it's much more intense and the political songs (which comprise the bulk of the album) are more informed than those featured on previous TSM albums. They've got the hardcore sound down, and they throw in some nice little ska and pop-punky songs for good measure, plus a reggae song that combusts into a metal song just as it hits the chorus. It's a solid album that fans of hardcore and leftist politics will enjoy, and if you ever can I totally recommend seeing this band live (I'm gonna see them on Saturday! Whooo!)

I guess The Stooges reissues will have to wait until things settle down. :sad:

4. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

Ciara and Missy Elliot in Music makes you Loose control!

jk, i know most of you hate that kind of music or dont have a clue who that is so i'll just leave before someone throws something at me

5. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

"Work It" is probably my biggest guilty pleasure of all time. Especially the first 12 seconds.

6. MajorTom

MajorTom DI-AH-PERS!!!

Fozzy- All That Remains
    Modest Mouse- The Moon & Antartica

7. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

I don't know anything about Queens, but I have to disagree with you on NIN. I think With Teeth is probably Trent's best album. It's my favorite right now, at least. And about the "change" in their sound? Well, that's been more or less a staple when you look at their albums. The only two that have a similar sound are the Broken EP and The Downward Spiral. If anything, I'd say With Teeth's sound is more like Pretty Hate Machine than anything, especially The Fragile.

Basically, Machine was very 80s, Broken/Spiral were the more metal sound, The Fragile was overall mellow, and Teeth is like a combination of everything. I'm very interested to see what the next album will sound like, because Trent has said that he wrote too many songs, and a bunch of them just didn't fit in with the type of sound he was going for.

As for 311. Well, it's a 311 album. I've only listened to it a few times, but I was quite disappointed. I don't own Evolver, so I haven't listened to it much, but I really enjoyed From Chaos. This just didn't live up to either of them. It was them just going through the motions, not really trying anything new. I can't think of one track that caught my attention. I'm a little upset that I purchased it, because I don't feel it was worth it. I was a little bored with it.

I have been listening to Motion City Soundtrack's Commit This to Memory album quite a bit lately. I don't know what it is, but they've completely hooked me. Now if only I wasn't sick when Warped Tour rolled through.

8. Drachentöter

Drachentöter Good night. And good luck.

I saw them at the DC Warped Tour. They were very good. Right now I'm listening to L.G. FUAD from Commit This to Memory and The Future Freaks Me Out from their first album.

9. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Hey, I really wasn't badmouthing With Teeth at all... In actuality it's the only NIN album I personally own, so for all I know maybe it is the best one. There's nothing wrong with being a "grower". Sometimes those albums are the best ones.

The NIN and QOTSA albums were just barely "growers". Other albums, like Blindside's and SOAD's, fit the bill more. I was mainly just making a point about 311's album, that it doesn't seem poised to "grow" into much more than what it is right now.

10. HumanoidTyphoon

HumanoidTyphoon Active Member

He can write the most miserable songs...

^I say With Teeth was NIN's best album just because Trent doesn't sound like he's ready to kill himself as he often does. there are sad parts but there seems to be a hope underneath that I didn't find present on his other records.

The Hold Steady's Separation Sunday is umm interesting. The guy reminds me of someone I'm not sure who maybe just any random crazy party guy. That seems to be the theme, that and this girl Charlemagne that's what I got from it anyway. I want to say it could be improved if the guy sung, as he sounds like a drunk just yelling about stuff, but I think that's part of what makes it work.

Maximo Park's A Certain Trigger is ok. I'm not a big fan of Brit pop but this sounded better than most.

11. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

After getting my physical this morning, I headed over to Reinassance and picked up Operation: Doomsday. Trying to get a better view on Doom's style, seeing if he had more to offer than what I've heard(which had/has been underwhelming). And while he does slip a few times, he overall keeps it up for an entertaining listen. That multiple personality thing he's toting is prevelant, especially on "Tick,Tick...". And I think he sampled some Fantastic Four, right? In the end it all works out. "Doomsday" is my favorite track off it. So, yeah, my outlook is better.

12. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Picked up:

-Pixies: Doolittle
    -
    The Smiths: Singles

13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Just listened to Talib Kweli's The Beautiful Struggle and boy... was it underwhelming. It seems that he was trying to please the underground fans while trying to go mainstream and it doesn't work. "I Try" while I do like, mimics too much from "Get By" and the tracks where he puffs up his street cred fall short. The one track "We Got the Beat" is so tailor made for the radio that I'm surprised they didn't make it the second single. The tracks I do like are "Black Girl Pain", "Ghetto Snow", "Beautiful Struggle", and "I Try." The others are either average or underwhelming.

14. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Yep, that's exactly why it pales in comparison to his past works. The focus and all was just off, like he wasn't completely sure. I didn't even realize that until I went on a listening spree a little while back. But yeah, it's not horrible, but could have been better.

15. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

From what I heard, the album was leaked early and Kweli was forced to re-record some songs. I heard that Kweli and Hi-Tek are working on another Reflection Eternal album, so I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of leaked, Kanye West's album was(unfortunately) leaked yesterday. I didn't download it, but from those who have, they said it's good.

16. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Huh, not surprised by that. But I'm saving that first listen for when I'm holding the case and all in hand after placing that yellow Best Buy bag to the side of my car seat. It's crucial. Seems like a winner though. We'll see.

Definitely looking foward to Kweli's next project.

17. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Kanye's new album will probably go platinum. Also, look out for Mos Def's new album, which is suppose to come out later this year.

18. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Yeah, I just started listening to I Am The Movie, and I think it's pretty great, too. I think I like Commit better, but as a whole it's good stuff.

I might actually get another chance to see them in a few months. They're going to be touring with Fall Out Boy, Boys Night Out (who have a very freaky new album, by the way) and some other bands. Hopefully, I won't get sick for this show.

19. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

:evil: i love that song :evil:

20. Damien

Damien Watching

Picked up Anywhere but Home, the live Evanescence album. It's the same lineup of songs as to the concert I went to (and I imagine all the concerts on the tour), and it also comes with a DVD featuring the concert, music videos, and behind-the-scenes stuff.
    "Breathe No More" is undoubtedly one of the best songs on there, but other songs like "Bring Me to Life" are better on the album, apart from the live intro. Fortunately, I have the music video of the studio version, so I may just trade in Fallen now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.