1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (April)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Honestly, I think that's hilariously appropriate, given some of the societal messages Year Zero has.

I was looking at the new release display at Target this weekend... it was really funny seeing something like Year Zero in amongst the popular, society-dumbing garbage that it pretty much rails against.

2. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Weird... that riff from "Prophets of War" is right out of an old Evanescence song. :shrug:

James LaBrie really wears his influences on his sleeve.

3. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

It is pretty appropriate when you look at it that way. Sad, but appropriate.

Yeah, I've also seen more Muse comparisons.

Personally, I can deal with the influences being all over the place as long as it sounds good. I loved Octavarium even if half the album was originally done by other bands. I hope this one will use the influences less but even if it follows the same pattern as Octavarium, as long as it's good, I don't mind.

However, that riff didn't do a whole lot for me, the vocals the crowd recorded seem like it's gonna sound kind of cheesy on the album, and this album keeps drawing Train Of Thought comparisons which doesn't sound good to me.

But I'll still be buying it when it comes out. I'll probably even get the special edition of if it's not too expensive.

4. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I'm really looking forward to the DVD that's included with the special edition. Usually the video supplements are very enjoyable, even if the music isn't up to their usual standards.

5. The Myst

Megadeth's "Washington Is Next" finally came out. It was played on the radio earlier tonight. It's been being played live since October.

The studio version annihilates the live version. The live version was all right but not that great. This studio version has way better solos (Glen's solo on the live version was one of my biggest problems with the song), better vocals (The vocal melodies sounded horrible on the live version because the lyrics for this song are really long and Dave couldn't seem to sing them at a good pace and make them fit the music), and just really rocks.

Best song that's leaked so far.

6. The Myst

7. The Myst

8. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Year Zero sold 179,000 copies in it's first week. I think that's pretty good for an album that was available to stream on the official website two weeks before the release date. Of course Avril Lavigne's new album, The Best Damn Thing sold 289,000 copies. Sorry The Myst.:(

9. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

NIN.com just put up the multi-track files for Capital G, My Violent Heart, and Me I'm Not.

One NIN fan went on record as saying, "Holy crap."

10. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

This makes me really wish I had access to Garage Band.

Granted, I have no idea what I would do with them...

11. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

[​IMG]

And also picked Keeper of the Seven Keys: The World Tour dvd by Helloween. And it is awesome.

12. SirLemming

There are two versions: GarageBand and PC. I don't know yet what the PC ones are like because the torrents haven't picked up speed yet, but it sounds like they might be one long file for each channel, so you can put them all on top of each other to hear the full song or only put certain ones on top of each other to hear something else.

BTW, there's nothing so special about GarageBand files. You can use them in virtually any audio mixing program or just listen to them for fun; you just won't get to use the convenient "project" file.

EDIT: People have discovered that some of the sound files are spectrographs of EchoingTheSound forum members' avatars.

Dude.

#72 SirLemming, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  13. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Heh, yeah, I was considering this pretty much right after I made that post. I might just download the sound files and tinker with them.

That's fantastic.

14. The Myst

Well, a new site in the ARG came out. All the ETS members who have been participating in the ARG discussions are now listed on there.

I only joined the site last night so I missed out. Needless to say, I'm angry. Makes me feel like following the ARG for so long was pointless cause I never posted on the NIN fan sites and now don't get to be an actual part of the ARG.

15. The Myst

16. .bg

.bg Active Member

Travis' first single off the new album is out! Better get ready for some serious spins of...

[​IMG]

17. SirLemming

New KoRn song on their Myspace. It's "the first song they've mixed", not necessarily a single. The download link has higher quality, but I still suspect it's not the final master.

I really like the song. It's got a good breakdown in the middle and it's 5 minutes. You'd never mistake this for an old KoRn song, but I think it has what many fans of the old KoRn have been missing.

[​IMG]

That's right sucka!

Another interesting thing about this site is that it finally explains what the "24.x.x" numbers are for -- they're the Bureau of Morality's indexes for keeping track of these "subversive" sites.

18. The Myst

Well, the new Megadeth album leaked and... it's the biggest disappointment of this year.

The songs are boring and cliche for Megadeth. There's nothing new here. Totally boring stock metal riffs. Half of it is recycled from old albums or other bands (I still maintain that "Play For Blood" is a "Cowboys From Hell" rip-off). It almost comes off as self-parody at times. Almost every song on the album is 3-4 minutes long and drenched in soloing. Which brings me to my next point...

Glen doesn't fit with the band at all and his soloing only really fits at certain points. I mean, with Marty it was like he was the guitar player for Megadeth. His solos perfectly fit Dave's riffs. It was perfect. Glen's solos would be better suited for a totally different band. Hell, they almost remind me of Petrucci solos at times except they aren't backed by keyboards. They're extremely technical and difficult solos but they don't fit the music at all really. Might as well have mixed Yngwie Malmsteen with Megadeth. It would probably be better too.

Some of the lyrics are just laughably bad. For instance, from "You're Dead" (Great song title, huh?), "I'll dance on your grave, even if you're buried at sea". When I heard that as part of the chorus, I just laughed out loud. These kinds of bad lyrics are all over the album. "Amerikhastan" almost seems silly despite the serious subject matter it's supposed to be taking on.

Only three songs on the album are particularly good, in my opinion. "Washington Is Next!" is excellent and one of the few times Glen managed to fit into the band right. "Sleepwalker" is decent. A bit boring, a bit recycled, but all right. "A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free)" is good just because you can't screw up a song as great as that one. Though the original is way, way better.

In conclusion, I've been waiting for this album for two years. Now that I've heard it, I'm pretty sure I'm not even gonna buy it when it comes out. This is one of the worst Megadeth albums ever. Dave should've just started a solo career after The System Has Failed and let Megadeth die like he intended to. The System Has Failed would've been a glorious conclusion to the band's career. It was a great album and was the perfect way to end things. But Dave dragged it on against the odds with a totally new line-up and he failed. For Christ's sake, they even ruined Vic for this album. He has skin and hair now and it's just ugly as hell. It's like if they radically changed the design of Eddie The Head or something. You just don't do it.

Oh well. I'm gonna go listen to Rust In Peace.

19. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Closing out the month. First, something I had my eyes set on for a while:

[​IMG]

And two more impulse buys:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Time to bring the funk.

20. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Proof that good new wave exists.