1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (April)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I would definitely recommend Reckoning Night over Unia, if it's your first experience with Sonata Arctica. The latter is definitely a solid power metal endeavor, but the former is one of my all-time favorites. It's great music to blast at night while driving really fast.

Glad to hear it! :D I had the opportunity to hear the single, but decided to wait until I can hear the whole album at once.

2. NachoHat

NachoHat Counting down the hours

The Twilight Sad's debut Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters is ridiculously, ridiculously good. Probably in my top 5 this year? Probably? Anyway, it's quality.

The Rapture are coming to my small-ish Mississippi town Saturday. Rather surprising, but more than welcome. I'm going and I'm excited.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene uBlackHat.com

Everything recent kind of sucks.

4. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

On Jin's MySpace:http://www.myspace.com/therealjin, there is a new song called "Rain, Rain, Go Away(Tribute to Virginia Tech" that is a tribute to the fallen at VA Tech. It's a pretty good song from Jin.

5. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Brand new Queens of the Stone Age song again, this time one that actually is on the new album. It's rumored to only be up for 24 hours, so go listen now at www.qotsa.com. It's "3s & 7s", the song from the first teaser video. It starts out sounding a lot like something from the first album, but then it twists around in ways that are completely unexpected. I think that's a good thing. There are also about 20 guitar solos in it.

6. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

While we're on the subject of QotSA, Josh Homme recently publicly condemned Ozzfest and their "free concert" thing. This lead Sharon Osbourne to make some really vulgar comments about him that I can't post on a family board.

Meanwhile, Rush's new album leaked. It's amazingly excellent. Not as good as Year Zero but the only one to give it a run for its money for album of the year thus far. Still plenty of albums coming out this year but my expectations aren't high for many of them. Ozzy, Megadeth, and Dream Theater's new albums, in particular, are ones I'm thinking will be disappointments. I pretty much know Megadeth's will based on the fact that I've heard about half of the album at this point.

The main ones I have really high hopes for right now are Down, Metallica, Symphony X, and Nightingale. The only one with a confirmed release date out of those is Sympony X though and Metallica has even warned it might not be until 2008 that this album is released.

7. SirLemming

More Queens of the Stone Age: "Sick Sick Sick" has leaked via a radio promo single. I of course will not tell you where to get it. But I've heard it and it really, really rocks. Songs for the Deaf fans should really dig it. It's another one of those QOTSA songs that's great to drive to. Oh, and it has Julian Casablancas in it.

Also, on Wednesday I got Year Zero, KoRn Unplugged, and The Information in the mail. Good stuff.

#47 SirLemming, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  8. The Myst

Year Zero came in at #2 on the charts. The #1 album in America is Avril Lavigne's The Best Damn Thing.

This is a sad day in music history. I wish that the government really was drugging the water to make people stupid. That might explain why "Girlfriend" is a bigger hit than "Survivalism".

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

This isn't the first time something like this has happened before.

10. The Myst

I know. I'm just... in a rage right now and exaggerating it as the worst thing to happen in the history of mankind makes me feel better. >_>

11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

There's a review of the new Nine Inch Nails on Allmusic, and they really gush about it. Which is strange, cause they haven't gushed about much recently.

The latest Fishbone album is on iTunes and it's fantastic. For those who don't know, Fishbone is an awesome band that plays Ska/Funk/Punk/Metal and twists it into their own sound.

12. The Myst

Particularly surprising considering the last album to get a 4 1/2 star rating from them is Broken.

13. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

Seems like Tim Armstrong of Rancid is taking a hint from NIN:

Over the next six weeks, leading up to the street date, we'll be posting the final eight tracks and videos off of Tim's solo project, A Poet's Life for free! But to make things a little interesting, we're not going to tell you where. Sneaky...I know, you're going to have to use your brain and work together as a team to find these killer tracks. Happy hunting.

Apparently, the songs (and videos) are gonna be posted around various blogs and social networking sites. Or you could just wait till May 22 and buy the real thing. A couple songs are already online here, and three videos can be found here. Already sounding better than the last few Rancid-related projects.

In other news, I'm gonna go see Ted Leo & The Pharmacists tonight. Woooo.

14. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

finally got around to picking up Hiero's "Overtime" f. B-sides, remixes, and prev. unreleased material...which is really more like a primer for del's LONG anticipated album, The 11th Hr. the funky one is featured on 8 of the 14 tracks, a must-have for any fan of the d-e-l.

15. The Myst

Mike Portnoy put a video on his website for download. It's of a bunch of fans that were invited in to sing backing vocals on a new Dream Theater song. You can hear some of the new song and hear them recording them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_rVpJNarE4

16. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Let's hear it for impulse purchasing!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

[​IMG]

Once again I'm completely out of the loop musically. Static-X released a new album on the third and I didn't even know about it till yesterday. Only listened all the way through once, but it was pretty good. Very similar to their first album, and they even have 3/4 of the original lineup back. They've released five albums and have yet to keep the same lineup from one to the next.

18. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

19. SirLemming

Apparently this is the new QOTSA album artwork, since it's on QOTSA.com.

[​IMG]

Uh... Yeah. Graphically it works, I'm just not sure what it's supposed to be.

20. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, Jin premiered a new song from his upcoming album From This Day On. It's called "Open Letter 2 Obama" and it's basically him supporting Barack Obama for President. It's...different, although I hope it's not the first single(cause it's not first single material).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.