1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (April)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

I decided to listen to YZ last night. The timing just seemed right... I consider it an early release. A treat.

I don't think I'll be able to formulate a real opinion of the album for a little while, but what I do know is that "The Good Soldier" is amazing. It's just so friggin' smooth. I really enjoy the return of the Fragile-esque high-pitched droning synths. And the vibraphone is a great touch too. This song is an early favorite to be sure.

Something's still not quite right about hearing this without one solid CD, to me (aside from the annoying little gaps between tracks that are probably supposed to flow together), so I'm still anticipating April 17th.

But overall, I can tell that this is a fine piece of work, and certainly more of a step forward than With Teeth was. WT seems like it was just for fun, sort of... I still think that's a great album, but this right here is the real deal for NIN. WT was sort of like NIN's take on a rock album.

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My NIN-obsessed friend was explaining With Teeth to me when it came out and said basically the same thing. Trent Reznor had apparently said in an interview something along the lines of, "You know, screw it, I like pop music," so that's what he wanted to make when he did With Teeth.

3. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

Oh yeah, The Dio Years was great, the three new tracks are fantastic, and I got the Rush tickets. I forgot to mention that in all my current Year Zero obsession.

4. The Myst

These new Sabbath songs really are killer. I hadn't taken the time to fully appreciate them because I was so obsessed with Year Zero but now that I've come to a point where I can stand to quit listening to Year Zero for a while, these songs are really awesome.

I know it's a longshot and probably won't happen but things have been going good with the tour and nothing's ever off the table. I think it would be incredible if these guys would record a full new album. Maybe even if they just wanted to record a few more songs, it could be an EP or they could toss these three onto the album too.

It just seems like a waste for them to disband forever with three great new tracks on the table and a successful tour under their belt. Why stop there? I know that it's ended badly in the past but maybe they've matured in the past 15 years and could deal with eachothers egos better.

Oh well. I'd love to have a whole new Sabbath album but beggars can't be choosers. If this is all I can get, I'll take it and just look forward to Magica II and III.

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I just got the new Brother Ali album and wow, it's a great album. Definately a five-star album and probably one of the top 10 rap albums for this year.

6. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I got to listen to the new Sonata Arctica album, Unia, which comes out in May. It was pretty good! Didn't pull me in the same way Reckoning Night did, but maybe a few more listens will help. It has some interesting symphonic stuff.

7. The Myst

I'm not too familiar with them, I've only heard their covers of Metallica's "Fade To Black" and Iron Maiden's "Die With Your Boots On", but if I hear enough good things, I might download this one.

8. The Myst

There was an interesting interview with Dave Mustaine in a French magazine about United Abominations.

Notable things:

- A song called "Church Of Shadows" was originally supposed to be on the album and was supposed to be the leading single of the album but he decided the rest of the album was stronger so it ended up as a B-side.

- All but two songs from United Abominations were written during the sessions for The System Has Failed. According to another interview, "Sleepwalker" and "Never Walk Alone (A Call To Arms)" were the last two songs written for the album, which means, one would assume, that those two are the only songs specifically for this album. Dave mentions that he had originally intended to release the two albums in quick succession. Not sure why that didn't work out as The System Has Failed was released in 2004 and United Abominations is being released this year, two and a half years later.

- "Sleepwalker", "Never Walk Alone (A Call To Arms)", "Washington Is Next!", "Burnt Ice", and "You're Dead" are the strongest tracks according to the review. "Gears Of War" and "Play For Blood" are supposedly the weakest.

9. Damien

Damien Watching

Meat Loaf was postponed due to illness, so I just showed my girlfriend around CityWalk. We still had a good time, and we're holding on to the tickets for the later date, TBA.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't know if anyone follows them (or has even heard of them), but I've recently been getting into Ash, an alternative rock band from Ireland. They're fifth album, Twilight of the Innocents, will be released in June and July in Ireland and the U.K., respectively. (Amazon will hopefully have imported copies.) The first single, "You Can't Have It All," was just released last Monday, and the video is on their official YouTube page. I dig it. (Their 2004 single "Orpheus" was used in the video game Burnout 3, and that's what caught my ear, and another song, "Clones," was used in the game Star Wars: Republic Commando.)

11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I have one of the early Ash albums ('1977' it's called) and it's pretty good. I had no idea they were coming out with a new album.

For any of you ska fans out there, the new Mad Caddies album "Keep It Going" has already leaked, and it's pretty damn good.

I'm also anticipating the new Dinosaur Jr. album out this month.

12. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Maybe it'll grow on me but right now it's not even close to SHADOWS or CHAMPION. "Uncle Sam" and "Letter To The Government" are great but other than that I'm pretty disappointed. Granted, I've only had it a day but his last two efforts both floored me right away. Something that I've noticed is alot of the songs almost feel like covers of other people's stuff. "Walking Away" is an Atmosphere song if ever I've heard one (I'm convinced Slug wrote it), "Letter" is a more eloquent version of a Geto Boys political track, and "Uncle Sam" is straight up Gil Scott-Heron. Also, the first track makes me think of Blueprint's 1988; luckily, it's just one song.

13. The Myst

Devin Townsend's new album Ziltoid The Omniscient leaked today. It seems way too early for it to leak since it's not coming out until June but I'm listening to it right now. It's awesome. I think it might be my favorite Devin album.

I don't think it will beat Year Zero as album of the year but it's pretty damn great.

14. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

I got an advance copy of it yesterday (no illegal downloading for me, thank you!) and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Then again, I'm not the biggest Mad Caddies fan. The slower songs just do nothing for me, and I'm usually all for ska punk bands slowing the hell down. Look at Big D & The Kids Table's new album Strictly Rude: it contains a much larger reggae and dub influence than their past stuff and it's lightyears ahead of How it Goes and Good Luck. The Mad Caddies slower stuff is just boring to me. But maybe I'll change my mind as time passes.

15. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Yeah, "Strictly Rude" was entertaining. It beats "Good Luck" by a mile, but the diversity of "How It Goes" will be hard to top. I'll have to let it grow on me.

Then again, Mad Caddies' "Just One More" grew on me like a weed. Now it's one of my favorite albums.

16. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

About a week ago, but recent enough.

[​IMG]

17. SirLemming

The title track of Queens of the Stone Age's Era Vulgaris, featuring Trent Reznor on background vocals, has been put online in a more or less legal capacity. And somehow, it's actually not going to be on the album, even though it's the title track. You can find it on the official QOTSA forum pretty easily. I won't post a direct link because it's technically still a "bootleg" and blah blah blah...

18. The Myst

Reznor is everywhere lately, huh?

19. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

Picked up Keeper of the 7 Keys: The Legacy by Helloween last night, and now my Helloween collection is looking pretty good.

Edit: And for Noukon, I happened to find the Ghost Opera single. I have to say, after several listens, that this new Kamelot album will be incredible.

20. SirLemming

Actually, I think it's safe to post a direct link to the QOTSA song because of the letter that came with it:

So here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.