1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

They really need to add more Looney Tunes shorts to Cartoon Network/Boomerang's rotation

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Looney Turtles, Mar 21, 2016.

1. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Another thing about Turner Broadcasting (at least in the United States), I don't know how it is with Turner Europe. However, Turner U.S owns the entire Pre-1948 WB short library meaning the colorized cartoons and Harmen/Ising WB Shorts, too, except 1931's "Lady Play Your Mandolin". The Post-1948 shorts are owned by Warner Bros. themselves and those are the only ones that Turner airs on USA Boomerang nowadays, along with only a handful of Pre-1948 shorts, f.e, Super Rabbit and Yankee Doodle Daffy. Both Turner and Warners claim to own 1948's "Odor of the Day".

2. Looney Turtles

How are you able to access those Boomerang feeds?

Where are you getting them for $1 each at? The places I've checked charges at least $5 or more per VHS tape.

3. copper20

copper20 Member

Thrift stores and bookstores mainly.

4. Looney Turtles

How about online though? Do you know any good places to get them online?

5. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

In my opinion, Turner in the United States should just rerun all of the Pre-1948 shorts that they used to air in the 90's and early 2000's from CN and Boomerang from the past on the current Boomerang again f.e, Detouring America and Yankee Doodle Bugs. I'd rather they air them edited for the kids of this generation and the generations that come after than not air them at all. I mean, if they're going to always air Show Biz Bugs unedited all the time, then they're more than capable of playing Curtain Razor too.

6. Looney Turtles

Yeah, I mean, they can even air the pre-1948 shorts for free, so it makes you wonder why they don't air more of them.

7. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yeah, it's a problem considering the fact that most of WB cartoons are on Laserdisc and Warner Home DVDs, but you never know if they're still in stock or not. One day, a LT aficionado would want to collect all LT filmography, but then they would be devastated to find out that none of Laserdisc sets are available in stock to collect anymore. I don't know if that would ever happen, but in case it does, WB needs to release every one of their WB shorts that has been on the Laserdisc and Warner Home DVDs restored like they did with the other shorts they've released already.

#27 DVDLooney, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

At this point, I'm collecting WB cartoons to watch through various sources. If Turner isn't rerunning the WB cartoons and Warner Bros. isn't re-releasing all of their cartoons from Laserdisc and Warner Home Videos, then what other choice do I as well as others have?

9. Looney Turtles

I still need to check out some Looney Tunes VHS tapes.

I have some good news though. On Boomerang, the short "To Itch His Own" is going to air during the 11:45 AM EST feed. "Patient Porky" will be airing the next day during that same feed. Could they finally be adding a little more variety?

10. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I really hope so. I hope they air shorts, like Curtain Razor and Hare Force, too, but we'll see.

11. Looney Turtles

And some Speedy shorts again too. I wonder why they removed those from airings again in 2011.

12. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

They should rerun the Speedy Gonzales shorts, honestly. Regardless, of the shorts not being 'PC', they should air them because Speedy was a part of the modern LT spinoff "The Looney Tunes Show". So I can only hope they air not only Cannery Woe, but other Speedy shorts too. Particularly, the McKimson and Freleng ones.

13. Looney Turtles

Well, it looks like we got our wish. "Fiesta Fiasco" is going to air on May 11th at the 11:45 AM PST feed, and so is "Hippydrome Tiger". Wow, I never thought I would see a Cool Cat short airing again anytime soon.

That's three days in a row that they are bringing back shorts to the rotation. I hope they keep it up.

14. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Me too. I never thought I'd see the day :D

15. Looney Turtles

Well, I think it's safe to say that they are finally adding new shorts to the rotation. According to the listing on my Charter TV Guide, "Rebel Without Claws","Red-Headed Baby", (wow, not only a 1930's short, but a 1931 short) "A Gander at Mother Goose", "A Scent of the Matterhorn" and "Bartholomew Versus the Wheel" are going to air later this month.

For the first time in a while, I'm going to actually watch some Looney Tunes on Boomerang again.

16. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Did they bring back rare shorts in the US?

I've never seen To Itch His Own on Italian TVs in my life.

17. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Seems that way for the month of May, I'm hoping it's not temporary, though. I'm not expecting "The Rebel Without Claws" and "A Gander at Mother Goose" to be aired on USA Boomerang unedited, though. They're not as PC as I thought they were in the USA because they're airing a Speedy Gonzales short, but a Rudy Larriva one. It's the first time since last year besides Cannery Woe that we get another Speedy short to air in America.

18. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

You mean TV-PG?

19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

No. I meant, "PC" as in 'political correctness' something that's prevalent in the United States these days when it comes to cartoons, including Looney Tunes, of course.

20. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

I bet that most of the LT shorts which will be airing on Boomerang USA from this year, will be censored.