1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

They really need to add more Looney Tunes shorts to Cartoon Network/Boomerang's rotation

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Looney Turtles, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Time for a little rant.

Okay, so I still commonly check to see what Looney Tunes shorts are going to be airing, and it's still always the same 100 or so (out of 1000) shorts. Since 2011, it's always just been mostly the same shorts. And where's Speedy Gonzales? I thought they already took care of this issue back in 2002, but now Speedy has disappeared again since 2011 (apart from "Cannery Woe").

Has anyone ever tried contacting Cartoon Network about this issue with Looney Tunes? I've wanted to do so myself, but I haven't really gotten around to it.

Yes, you can always just buy the Looney Tunes DVDs, but to date, less than half of the shorts are still available on DVD, and not to mention, they are really taking their time in putting new-to-DVD shorts onto DVD.

At this point, I may just have get some cheap Looney Tunes VHS tapes (as they have quite a bit of shorts not on DVD or shown on TV) and record them to DVD.

2. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I haven't been able to contact anyone about this. It sucks because I'm one of the few individuals that isn't able to get Looney Tunes VHS tapes. I have to collect old Boomerang, CN and laserdisc recordings of Warner Bros. Cartoons and watch those. I watch Looney Tunes on Boomerang CEE and Boomerang Scandinavia for Pre-1948 shorts because I'm tired of seeing the same 100 or so (out of 1000) shorts that Boomerang USA loops over and over again. I mean I don't mind the shorts that they're airing in the USA, but I'd liked to see shorts such as, Curtain Razor, Dog Collared, Of Thee I Sting, Wacky Wildlife, Detouring America or even, The Heckling Hare. Yeah, we can always just buy the Looney Tunes DVDs, but not all of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies Filmography are on DVD.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nodog

Nodog Particle Man

I know, right? It's kind of hard to believe that stuff like "Porky at the Crocadero" (aired at late night, but still) once aired on CN. But yes, it actually DID air on CN.
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, I recommend you go with Boomerang Nordic or Boomerang CEE for some of the toons that aren't being played over and over again. You might have to ask LooneyDVD (aka MerrieMelodiesFan) for links.

4. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Why aren't you able to? I just wonder what would be a good VHS tape to get.

So you can just stream those channels online or what? But what about them being in English? All I know is English.

Yeah, in fact, didn't Cartoon Network originally only air the pre-1948 shorts or something? These days, there's only a select few pre-1948 shorts still being aired, which is weird, considering Turner owns all the pre-1948 shorts.

5. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Boomerang Scandinavia dubs the shows in the English language by default, but the commercials aren't in English. Boomerang CEE is dubbed in both in Russian and in English.

6. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

But Boomerang CEE airs only 50 shorts which were dubbed into Bulgarian (due to their airing on Cartoon Network Russia and South East Europe):

In my Dailymotion few months I decided to upload some pre-1948 cartoons (with Turner 1995 prints) which I found in Puls 2 (Polish Terrestral Channel). They aired some stuff like: "Of Thee I Sting", "Streamlined Greta Green", "I only have eyes for you" (the 1937-1938 ending card is presented on my DM channel), "Fox Pop". Some GC and PC shorts are running restored from July 2014.

7. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yeah, I don't rely on Boomerang CEE for LT shorts nor USA Boomerang. I didn't check Boomerang Scandinavia for LT shorts last night because I forgot, but All of the pre-1948 shorts from TV Puls 2 that you uploaded to your DM Channel, look great. Most of the cartoons look better than the old CN recordings of Pre-1948 shorts that used to air in the USA.

8. NewBogus :)

There are also plan to upload Country Boy and My Green Fedora, but @Cool_Cat has My Green Fedora (I posted him a short).

9. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Oh, Cool :)

10. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Both Country Boy and My Green Fedora aired on Rai 2 in 2005. I really miss it because they used to air anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know a lot of people working there, but I never bothered to ask if they still have rights to WB shorts, considering they air only Disney now.

11. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Wow. Now I wished I watched Rai 2 years ago to get my Looney Tunes fix. I surprised that Rai 2 aired Which is Witch.

12. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

They also aired Angel Puss once, no joke.

13. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

It was in around 1995-ish.

14. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

There aren't many channels outside of Boomerang that syndicate theatrical WB Cartoons now, unfortunately. Hopefully, I'm wrong about this.

15. copper20

copper20 Member

Yep, couldn't say it better myself. I gave up on 'em cause they just kept repeating the same shorts - they're doing the same with Tom and Jerry (Basically they pick all post-HB shorts and about 25-30 of the regular shorts)

I've decided to go on to picking some LT VHS as well - 1$ for each. I'd continue going with the Blu-Ray and DVD stuff but I just don't have the money to do so at the moment and I really need to conserve my spending.

16. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Anyway, as much as I enjoy some of the Post-1948 shorts on USA Boomerang. I gave up on 'em like copper20 did. Now, I'm DVR'ing Pre-1948 shorts of WB Cartoons from Boomerang Scandinavia, watching those & watching the Pre-1948 shorts that NewBogus uploads on his DM channel too. I might even consider picking up LT VHS tapes myself. To see B&W version of cartoons that I never seen in B&W, such as, "A Coy Decoy".

17. JackBee

JackBee New Member

The same reruns of Looney Tunes on CN/Boomerang US are always the same popular post-1948 ones. It's as if Time Warner is completely forgetting they own the right to the pre-1948 cartoons!

If you want the real stuff, a la pre-1948 shorts see bodek610's DM channel! He's got stuff like HQ Little Dutch Plate, Ain't That Ducky and The Merry Old Soul.

18. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Yeah pre 48 Looney tunes would be nice to see I would surely like to see again the Great piggy bank mystery or any of those again, that would be nice for the Looney tunes.

19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

That reminds me. Turner had PLENTY of opportunities to rerun "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" featuring Daffy on CN. They really should have considering that USA CN had an up next bumper of Daffy Duck from that WB short holding a comic book laughing, but for whatever reason, they never aired it. I don't understand that. Turner Broadcasting in the states is more than capable of rerunning more Pre-1948 shorts for Boomerang and CN.

OFF-Topic: There was a USA Boomerang Technical difficulty and I saw the opening of "The Wacky Wabbit" (1942) by accident before Boomerang fixed itself.

That's proof right there that USA Turner can rerun more Pre-1948 shorts. I mean, I'd rather they rerun edited versions of Pre-1948 WB shorts and edited versions of earlier Tom & Jerry cartoons on CN and Boomerang, too, like they Turner did a decade ago than not air them at all in the states like they're doing now.

#19 DVDLooney, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. NewBogus :)

You needn't to advertise my channel here. Everyone who wanted that shorts, know what they should find them.