1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

There's something depressing about Nick's late 2000s/early 10s era cartoons

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by TheMisterManGuy, Jul 29, 2017.

1. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Nickelodeon has had a tough time with animated series in recent years, an area where they used to be a veteran in. The Loud House, and Welcome to the Wayne have been critical darlings, but much of the channels other recent shows were met with less then impressive reception, both in ratings and reviews. This was a problem for many Cartoon outlets in the late 2000s, but it was especially bad with Nickelodeon since their rut lasted much longer.

What I'm mainly talking about is Nick's animated programming from about late-2006/2007 onwards. Ya know, the Dreamworks spin-offs, CG series, newer seasons of Spongebob and FOP, along with the "Loud characters do silly cartoon stuff and annoy others" sub-genre. I think the reason why these shows weren't very good is because they're just homogenized. Back at the Barnyard, Tak and the Power of JuJu, the Dreamworks shows, Fanboy and Chum Chum, etc. all just felt very uninspired and sterile. When you think about Nicktoons in the past, each had a very distinctive style and premise to them that made them unique, but also uniform with the Nickelodeon style. Rugrats was about life from a babies perspective, Hey Arnold was about a kid in the big city, Rocko's Modern Life was about a Wallabe adjusting to adulthood, FOP - a kid with Fairies, you get the point. They all felt distinct, and were able to stand on their own, even the Klasky Csupo cartoons had a sense of identity to them.

The problem with many of Nick's more recent cartoons is that they all fell into the same predictable formulas, and in some cases, completely go against the original point of Nickelodeon as a channel. In 2010 for example, your average Nicktoon line up would consist of

* Shows that's been running for almost ten years (SpongeBob, FOP)
    * Dreamworks spin-offs (Penguins, Kung Fu Panda)
    * Bland CGI series about an obnoxious idiot who annoys everyone with his antics (Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum)
    * Bland 2D series with the same premise (Mighty B!, T.U.F.F. Puppy)
    * Or a bland CG series in general (Back at the Barnyard)

That doesn't really sound like an enticing children's lineup. And in the case of shows like the DreamWorks spin-offs, it completely contradicts Nickelodeon's original mission statement with the Nicktoons brand. Nicktoons were meant to be creator-driven. Bold, edgy, completely out-of-the box ideas that came from creators, not executives. It wasn't about selling plastic crap to 8 year olds, it was about creating relate-able characters, crazy stories, and interesting ideas. So by the channel making spin-offs of previously made ideas from other companies, or shows with the same homogenized formulas and dynamics, Nickelodeon tossed out everything that made them unique, and became the very thing they mocked during their glory days. Just another generic, run-of-the-mill kids network. And Nickelodeon wonders why these shows don't do well because they bet their money on the wrong horse, or just rehashed something people have already seen.

This is why The Loud House and Welcome to the Wayne are such breaths of fresh air, because they're a clean break from what came before it and are a return to the original charm of Nickelodeon, real-world/adult scenarios, from a kid's perspective. It also helps that Nick finally gives them good time slots and promotion, which led to The Loud House's success.

Nickelodeon has notoriously high standards when it comes to ratings, sabotaging anything that isn't a success out of the gate. And yeah, that's annoying, but I think the reason for that is simply because many of their more recent cartoons just didn't have many legs to stand on in the first place, and were just bland, safe, and uninspired.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Even if it doesn't apply to every show especially now, I always think that Nick just takes the wrong assumption that if a show doesn't see a certain amount of viewers the audience doesn't like it. I think the late 2000s to early 10s was where this most likely happened. Thanks to the hatedom Nick has gotten over years they likely feel uncertain about most shows and give up easily because of their criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

There's been many of these discussions on Toonzone for years, but yes you hit a lot of the main points. Similar things can be said for the live-action, which was a "I wanna be a super star" or "bro-dude" for years - and many shows were one and done when they couldn't hit the iCarly, Victorious and BTR ratings just like cartoons being cancelled if they weren't SBSP or FOP level right off the bat.

The vast improvement of SBSP, TMNT, TLH, WttW and HB (when it was around) has definitely given many reason to believe Nick is back in the swing of things and committed to its original creator-driven and heartfelt shows with mature/satyrical humor.

We've seen Nick rally behind TLH which is rivaling SBSP in ratings and popularity. Absolutely huge. However, they canned HB in the worse possible way - banished to Nicktoons. This was a gem of a cartoon.

So here I am, watching what moves Nick will do with WttW, which has generally positive reviews right now, but poor ratings. Will Nick get behind it or let it die if its ratings don't come through? I won't be convinced Nick has truly learned unless they let WttW grow and get behind it. It's ABSOLUTELY WORTH having in Nick's lineup. SBSP-TLH-WttW is already a formidable trifecta.

Nick just needs to rid itself of Hartman shows (i.e. cancel Bunsen) which just end up being clones of his previous shows. I'm also interested to see what new interpretation of TMNT will come about. TMNT tweaked to hit the K2-11 demo and if kept in the rerun loop could take off again. I'm hoping for 11-minute action stories, with only light serialization. NO WAY to a TTG format, still needs dynamic action, storylines, and bad-guy beating, but light-hearted and fun enough to work better with the K2-5 and K2-11 demo Nick wants. I think the 2K12 version has been great for what its worth, but way to violent, dark, and serialzed for kids to get into it. Plus, CGI seems to looked down upon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

WttW has weak ratings?! Come on - I really hope this show doesn't get shafted; I'm looking forward to seeing someone surpass Gravity Falls in this medium, dammit!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

TBH, I think they should end SpongeBob because I think it's time for the show to end and that Nickelodeon can go forward without the show plus I can't see it continue for a few more years due to creator Steven Hillenberg's battle with ALS and despite his return improving the show, it has run its course. The reason why Butch Hartman hasn't done anything great in over a decade is because of the creative differences between him and Steve Marmel over season three of Danny Phantom that resulted in Marmel's departure and the third season being the weakest in the series is what started his decline.

Don't get me wrong, I like SBSP but I feel that the show has fulfilled its purpose and another Nicktoon should take over its spot as the flagship show for the network.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

#5 AdrenalineRush1996, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  6. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Its long overdue for SBSP to "pass the torch" as it were.

7. TheMisterManGuy

I'd like SpongeBob to end someday, but I doubt the character will ever truly go away. Even if the show ends, SpongeBob SquarePants will always be the face of Nickelodeon. He's just too iconic and associated with the Nickelodeon brand at this point. It's no different to having Mickey Mouse as the face of Disney, or Bugs Bunny as the face of Warner Bros. Spongebob will always be Nick's mascot, and Nick will make sure to keep it that way in some form.

8. AdrenalineRush1996

He won't be the face of Nickelodeon forever and people are getting tired of his winning streak at the KCAs. Sorry but his time as Nickelodeon's number one will end eventually. I can't see him having the same success as Mickey and Bugs had because unlike them, Paramount doesn't have a mascot that originated in one of their popular animated shorts or a mascot at all. I really want Nick to move forward without him and focus on other stuff.

9. TheMisterManGuy

Being the mascot of Nick doesn't mean he has to keep winning the KCAs, or have his show go on forever. Spongebob is just too synonymous with Nickelodeon at this point for him to be anything but the face of the brand, regardless of whether the show ends or not. He's representing Nickelodeon, not Paramount. So by that regard, SpongeBob is basically Nick's Mickey Mouse.

10. AdrenalineRush1996

Many popular cartoons have been snubbed from the Favourite Cartoon award for the KCAs thanks to the show winning every year except 2008 and my point that Nickelodeon should end the show soon, dropping the character's role as the face of the channel and to move forward still stands.

11. TheMisterManGuy

But being the face of Nickelodeon doesn't mean the show has to win every KCA award. Nickelodeon can still have SpongeBob as the mascot, but also give other cartoons a chance to win a favorite cartoon award at the KCAs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I mostly agree with you, though I liked The Mighty B!.

13. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Before I start let me make it clear that I will always respect SpongeBob and FOP since they were part of my childhood

With that out of the way I really do think it's time to end both

Nick cannot rely on SBSP forever

I read that the voice actor for Sandy said she would completely fall apart if the show was to end (honestly so would I)

BUT there are many other TV shows that need to end before SpongeBob SquarePants including but not limited to:

Criminal Minds
    Days of our Lives
    Dateline NBC

These 3 shows are nothing more than filler for their respective networks!

In that sense I'm actually going to DEFEND Spongebob

Without SpongeBob or FOP what else would I have to watch?

The 3 shows I mentioned above?

Criminal Minds is a show that celebrates violence towards women

Days is a past-it's-prime soap opera that turned into a sex show

Dateline went from a human-interest show to a murder show

I will stop all the complaining about SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents

So many other shows need to be taken out back & given the Old Yeller treatment!

When SpongeBob eventually DOES end Nick/Viacom can still keep him as their mascot similar to Disney and Mickey Mouse

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. AdrenalineRush1996

That's not true.

15. Anonymoususer2004

Anonymoususer2004 Excelsior!

If SpongeBob does eventually end, I bet Nickelodeon will make a spin-off of it.

16. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

They need to move on from SpongeBob just like with Rugrats

Maybe one spin-off then that's it

Put it back in the vault!

• Funny Funny x 1