1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Theoretical TTA Reboot

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by PluckyDuck3, Jan 4, 2015.

1. PluckyDuck3

PluckyDuck3 New Member

Hey everyone,

Do you think WB will ever bring back Tiny Toons as a theatrical movie or rebooted series? Do you think they should even try?

If they did, how well would you tolerate possible new voice actors, writers, or other members of the production crew (if the originals were unable/unwilling to return)?

Just curious about different opinions.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I say pass. I enjoyed Tiny Toon Adventures when it was first-run, but I can't see an attempt at a relaunch 20 years after the fact being anything other than disastrous. I say leave it alone and savor the memories of this great show.

It's like The Incredibles; I'm one of the few people on the planet who wasn't hotly anticipating a sequel to that movie and was OK with it being a one-and-done. The Incredibles was one of my all-time favorite animated movies and I hate the thought of it coming down with Sequelitis. I feel the same way about Tiny Toons.

I would, however, like to see a new Looney Tunes series done with a similar commitment to quality. In fact, I recently had an idea for a new show similar to MuppeTelevision/Muppets Tonight starring the Looney Tunes. Maybe we could get a show like that somewhere down the line. So in short, I'd be OK with a new series done in the tradition of Tiny Toons, but as far as reviving the series itself, no.

#2 Silverstar, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

As much as Tiny Toon Adventures rocked my socks back in the 1990s, I personally wouldn't want for Warner Brothers to attempt a revival of the series for the simple fact that lightning rarely strikes twice. A new TTA would have different writers, different directors and different animators, and fans would constantly be complaining about how new series pales in comparison to the original.

Fans wanted more Teen Titans: TAS and they got Teen Titans GO!. Fans wanted more Xiaolin Showdown and they got Xiaolin Chronicles. Would anyone really want to see something like happen with TTA? Some things are best left in the era in which they thrived in.

Also (and I know that TTA is a cartoon and therefore isn't meant to be in any way realistic), it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Buster, Babs and company to still be students at Acme Looniversity 20 years later, and there'd be no point in turning them into adults because then they'd just be clones of the Looney Tunes.

#3 Goldstar Neo, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  4. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Even though Sam Register's Warner Bros. Animation is all about mining the back catalog, I don't think they've ever shown interest in the 90s stuff. Could it be that most of the shows are too associated with Spielberg, or are they just not "evergreen" enough?
    Maybe if Wabbit flops, but right now I'm sick of WB attempting to make the LT characters into a Muppet-like ensemble. I get that they can't just slavishly follow the original shorts' formula, but making them all friends who live together strikes me as a tad hacky.

5. Silverstar

That's definitely how I feel about the Muppets' projects; when they do stuff like Muppets from Space and the like, where they're all living together, hanging out together as a group all the time and stuff even outside of the show, that just seems really forced and fake to me. But at least with the 'variety show/running a network' format, the characters can appear in various skits and sketches by themselves and interact with one another mainly during the wraparounds.

6. PluckyDuck3

PluckyDuck3 New Member

I tend to agree; I don't think a full revival would work out very well. Still, I think it would be fun to see them pop up for a quick cameo now and then.

7. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

The Muppets having this "eternal bond" usually doesn't bother me, because it goes with the vibe Henson and co. were going for. The Muppet Show was about a troupe of performers, so it makes sense they would star in movies based around their personas, much like the Marx Brothers. Regardless of explanation though, the characters just feel like they always belong together. I personally see the Looney Tunes characters like the Animaniacs cast: mostly self-contained from each other, but occasionally meeting up.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The Muppet Show characters having an eternal bond and essentially being a "group character" would be OK if there only a small number of them, like say, 3, 4 or 5 of them, but with The Muppets, you have a cast of between 10 and 20 characters. When you have what's basically a small community of characters doing everything together as a group and even sharing a residence on some occasions, it can quickly and easily become a writing problem.

9. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Why not a Pinky and the Brain CGI movie?

10. Silverstar

Because a) Pinky & the Brain isn't a current franchise, it seems unlikely that WB would want to take a chance on a project like that, b) P&B are co-owned by Steven Spielberg and this doesn't sound like something he'd want to invest in right now either and c) those characters don't have deep enough personalities to carry a feature-length film.

11. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Whoa, really? I know his name power got those shows made, and I doubt WB would want to reboot them without him, but the copyright lines always say "Warner Bros.", not "Warner Bros. and Amblin".