1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The ZhuZhus" (formerly "Polly and the Zhu Zhu Pets") Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by SweetShop209, Sep 4, 2016.

1. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I never heard about them going in an "adult" direction. Unless you mean the themes of shows like Tangled: The Series and Andi Mack, but I doubt that determines their entire direction. Disney Channel's always had a few standout shows.

Even during their "dark ages" they still had Phineas and Ferb and Good Luck Charlie. (Say what you want about the latter, but you gotta admit, it went in a different direction than the other sitcoms.) That doesn't mean they have to get rid of everything else.

2. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

The creator of Andi Mack said the reason she made the show was because Disney Channel wants to go in a more "adult" direction

(source: http://w2.parentstv.org/blog/index.php/2017/03/15/teen-pregnancy-coming-to-disney-channel/)

Here's what she said:

*bolded & underlined for emphasis*

3. DonkeyKongSong

I never heard of that. In fact, I heard that the Andi Mack creator was actually worried Disney wasn't going to air the show at all because of that twist (and yes, I did watch the first two episodes. While I'm not sure anyone here is interested in that show, I still won't spoil).

But I suppose that could be a part of it. It might explain why Best Friends Whenever and a few other shows just started dropping like flies, not even going the full four seasons Disney's shows usually go.

I would say The ZhuZhus may not fit in with that, but if that were the case, maybe they'd move Elena of Avalor permanently to Disney Junior. I mean, they specifically tossed it (The ZhuZhus) that animation block for a reason, it seems.

4. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Off topic, but I recently saw the first two Andi Mack episodes. and I thought it was great. I think it has potential to be better than Girl Meets World (I really like that show, but honestly it was quite flawed).

Anyway, I don't think Disney Channel is quite done with The ZhuZhus yet. There's still a handful of episodes left, and the show is still listed on the website and the watch app. It's probably on hiatus right now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

And let's not forget that Girl Meets World was the show that literally made the network watchable as of 2014 but sadly got canned earlier this year. Looks like The ZhuZhus are clearly on hiatus until either Summer or Fall.

6. Palettepony895

Palettepony895 Always plays it cool.

Nope, Disney Channel is not done with the show yet. (confirmed from a comment on ZhuZhu Pets' Facebook page.)

BTW new clip and I assume that they may have gotten the other 11 episodes done as well.

7. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

I knew the show would come back. Hopefully, it'll return this summer.

8. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

This series piratically runs on miracles and I'm happy for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

When the series first came out, I was afraid that this would be another one of my guilty pleasures. Glad to see other people besides me like it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. DonkeyKongSong

I am glad to see it's not gone for good. I sort of figured it wasn't going away forever. I do wonder if they're hoarding it until Milo Murphy or Star vs. finishes airing network premieres, or maybe even trading it off with Tangled later (which already has been pre-empted the past three weeks for LEGO: Friends of Heartlake City and only has four episodes so far if you count the movie as two episodes).

I also noticed an error on their Facebook page, saying it would be on "this weekend" on February 17. Uh.... that was when the Every. Liv and Maddie. Ever. marathon pre-empted it, and even if it being replaced by Tangled wasn't decided yet, I'm sure the Liv and Maddie marathon was - Disney Channel's made a habit of giving every episode ever marathons of ending shows for awhile now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Palettepony895

Well I hope they won't hoard it for too long, because other international Disney's seem to have more faith in the show, airing it throughout more than just weekends, and premiering new episodes (all dubs are only getting up to 15 like in the US though).

Still, I guess Disney Channel might've been a better broadcaster when you think about the other channels it could've aired on. (As a bonus, the movie that came before this show, Quest for Zhu, actually aired on Nickelodeon.)

12. superkeegan9100

*COUGH* Nickelodeon *COUGH*

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. DonkeyKongSong

Actually, Nick Jr. might have actually treated this show well if it ended up there. The "worst" treatment they ever give a show is just air two new episodes a month (which is what they're doing for Little Charmers and Mia and Me), but they make up for it with heavy promotion and I know Little Charmers is getting repeated well (Mia and Me isn't, but its continuity is much stronger).

Still, the way Disney Channel is treating it is far better than what Nick/Nicktoons or Cartoon Network/Boomerang would do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Palettepony895

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. DonkeyKongSong

Good news! Not only will The ZhuZhus return June 17, but it looks like the Get Animated block will be extended by a half hour!

9:00 - Puppy Dog Pals
    9:30 - Elena of Avalor
    10:00 - Tangled
    10:30 - Pat the Dog
    11:00 - The ZhuZhus

Unfortunately, it looks like The ZhuZhus will only be airing on Saturday (the block ends after Pat the Dog on Sunday; Stuck in the Middle will continue airing on Sunday)

... or so I thought. Starting July 1, The ZhuZhus moves to a new time to make room for Hotel Transylvania: The Series, extending the block from 9am-noon:

9:00 - Puppy Dog Pals
    9:30 - Elena of Avalor
    10:00 - Tangled
    10:30 - Hotel Transylvania
    11:00 - Pat the Dog
    11:30 - The ZhuZhus

The backdoor schedule for July 2 isn't out yet, so I can't tell if it's for both days or just Saturday..

Regardless, that's a nice block.

9am hour - Disney Junior transition shows
    10am hour - Movie-based shows
    11am hour - Foreign acquisitions with cute animals

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DonkeyKongSong

The extension of the block on Sundays is permanent too starting July 2; however The ZhuZhus will be repeats on Sundays.

I do wonder if they'll just be rotating shows out when Star vs. and Milo Murphy premiere episodes on XD so they can premiere on the main network, or when LEGO Friends of Heartlake City actually has episodes to premiere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Palettepony895

18. Palettepony895

Another update; it seems that Polish and Czech/Hungarian Disney Channel will air some of those eps before American Disney Channel.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ryan

Ryan Well known for talking about Canada.

So YTV will be finally airing this show on July 4th.

Source:

• Like Like x 1
  20. superkeegan9100

Finally, it's about time it aired on YTV!