1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The ZhuZhus" (formerly "Polly and the Zhu Zhu Pets") Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by SweetShop209, Sep 4, 2016.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Well, this is the first I heard of this show. Polly And The Zhu Zhu Pets is (produced by Nelvana) is an upcoming Disney Channel show based on the Zhu Zhu Pets toy line with Pipsqueak, Num Nums, Chunk, and Mr. Squiggles living with the titular Polly and her family in a place called Anytown. The show premieres in the US on September 12. Here's the theme.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/nelvana...st-deal-polly-and-the-zhuzhu-pets-1201810234/

It seems like the show (at least based on the theme, which I like by the way) is taking cues from Littlest Pet Shop. It might be different when the show premieres though. What do you think?

2. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

A Canadian cartoon......on Disney Channel? That's not something you see every day.

The show does look cute though. It kinda reminds me of Squrriel Boy and Littiest Pet Shop combined. Really like the art style. I might check out an episode or two to see if I'm really interested, but from the looks of it, it looks like a decent cartoon to watch.

3. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

Eh? I thought the Zhu Zhu pets died out years ago. Whatever. At least the show looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it looks a lot like LPS, except the animation seems so much more limited.
    It's cute but feels very lackluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SmileyToonatic

Looks interesting, I'll definitely watch this. I thought Disney Channel stopped airing cartoons (besides the Mickey Mouse shorts) but since this looks like a girls cartoon, Disney XD probably didn't want to air it since Disney XD mostly targets young boys.

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

This is just a derivative of Littlest Pet Shop (which I do NOT like) so needless to say I am not watching this!

What happened to Disney Channel?!

They also desecrated Mickey Mouse!

See for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/disneychannel

(I know I'm complaining again but this time I have a perfectly valid reason: this show truly looks absolutely TERRIBLE!)

#6 Mikurotoro92, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. SmileyToonatic

I watched clips of the show, it was actually pretty good, even with its similarities to Littlest Pet Shop.

8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Sigh... Seriously, It's like I'm the only person in the whole galaxy who actually liked, if not outright loved Littlest Pet Shop (2012), despite my heavy and harsh criticisms with it...

Sigh. I don't watch reruns of it now (compared to other shows I've found my way into nowadays.), but (to tell the truth, all of it and nothing else...) I'd still proudly watch more reruns of THAT than that damn pony show, @Mikurotoro92.

As for this show, even if these clips look promising, this show is definitely not going to be anything spectacular / special, even if it turns out good. It just looks like another girls' show that should have been put on a preschoolers' channel, to be honest. Maybe (BIG MAYBE) the writing will prove me wrong on this being a preschoolers' show, at the most. THAT is all I can ask for...

#8 I.R. Shokew, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  9. Kalig

Kalig New Member

Oh yeah I remember watching the direct to DvD zuzu pets movie, The end really seemed like a set up for a series. Ill give this show a chance, the animation looks pretty neat although I hope the voices are not all super annoying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_and_the_Zhu_Zhu_Pets

According to Wikipedia, here is the voice cast for the series. As suspected, the show is recorded in Toronto, Canada.

Jenna Warren as Polly

Tajja Isen as Pipsqueak

Richard Binsley as Mr. Squiggles

Stephany Seki as Num Nums

Robert Tinkler as Chunk

Stacey DePass & Zachary Bennet as Mom & Dad

11. SmileyToonatic

I saw the premiere today! That was great! I'm actually compelled to watch more. Something about this show really grabs my attention. It doesn't rely on modern pop culture or art styles that most modern cartoons use. It's just a CARTOON. Fun, upbeat and good hearted. While not all the lines are extremely funny, they mean well and it's probably the only negative I could see in it. The sound effects gave it more vigor, and the art style is nice and sleek. It's very appealing to look at. The writing is ok, the characters are charming and the show in general is just fun to watch. This show and The Loud House are my two favorite cartoons right now!

8/10-Definitely worth a watch!

12. Kalig

Kalig New Member

I actually really enjoyed watching this show, not a fan of the constant sound effects but thats a small gripe I have with the show. It was fun and silly and cute its not comedic genus but it made me chuckle here and there. I also really like the animation and style it just looks so much like a cartoon. This show doesn't have much substance but its good for what it is and ill keep watching.

13. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

@ Mikurotoro92: It felt like its own thing to me (for now, anyway...). I mean, the human family in the show isn't running a pet shop at all. However, the two half hour shows I saw did feel kind of forced, but not Littlest Pet Shop forced (at least not right now...). I am glad that the parents know they can talk; it would have been predictable otherwise. I can only hope that they don't try to force any "moral lessons" down anyone's throat (or even worse; baiting everyone into them). The writing tends to suffer because of that. I also suspect that they may be showing the episodes out of order, but I would have to look into it a little bit more. In any case, I'm just glad it's not airing on the other two networks. I know what they would want to do. They would want to...I guess you could call it "nickel and diming" everyone, by just premiering the individual segments, instead of the full half-hour shows. It would've been even worse if they had premiered the show in a half-hour time slot only to start showing reruns of previous segments (like TOON did with Sonic Boom, and like NICK did with the new Alvin and the Chipmunks series).

So anyway, the show has started out alright. I can only hope it stays that way, and that the show doesn't eventually start to resort to crowd pleasing...

14. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

I like this show. It's funny, Combines the Zhu Zhu Pets and Polly Pocket and is one of my favorite Canadian Cartoons of 2016, Because I'm known for loving Female-Oriented Cartoons.

15. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Okay, according to my digital cable, it looks like--repeat: it looks like it's being pulled after just one week on the air. There will be weekend reruns, and the first episode will be shown on Monday at 2:30 EDT, but that's it. It might be hiatus, but I don't really know for sure...

16. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Nope. Production order all the way. Futon Critic has the production numbers.

To be fair, when a network does that, it actually does mean they care about the show. In fact, Nick was just going to burn through ALVIIIIIN! but decided against that at the last minute due to higher-than-expected ratings and now they're treating it like it's one of their own shows. Sonic Boom is a bit different in that its production numbers only have them as 15-minute episodes. Polly and the Zhu Zhu Pets and ALVIIIIN! are treated as full half-hour shows.

Anyway, I saw Monday's segments and the first of Tuesday's, and I am really enjoying it. I am glad the parents and Polly know the Zhu Zhus can talk. I was actually expecting more of a Hamtaro-type show, but that makes it less predictable. I also like how the family isn't fighting all the time, I'm a little sick of seeing shows like that. I liked how Polly wanting to do something for her folks just because they do so much for her, and since she's a kid with a bunch of hamsters, obviously things would screw up, albeit in an unrealistic way.

I also liked how they simply returned the skunk to the wild immediately instead of trying to keep it. I also liked how, in that episode, Polly seemed more excited and jumpy than any of the Zhu Zhus. Usually the hamsters (or skunk) would be the one potentially destroying the room. I got a kick out of Polly's dad and her playing the air guitar.

I'm a little nitpicky about Tuesday's first segment. Because if Polly knew the Zhus brought her the mitt and were in her locker, why did she lock them in? And when Mr. Kerdle was banging on the air duct, why didn't she do anything about it? She even acknowledged they were in the air duct. "Oh, I love my hamsters, they're about to be killed by the janitor! I won't try to stop him!" But it was why I was glad they didn't force any morals down your throat - all three shorts could have done a "knowing you care is enough", "wild animals belong in the wild", or even a "the magic was in you all along" moral but they did not go that route at all.

I am really liking this show. Definitely looking forward to more.

17. DonkeyKongSong

I will check my listings. Zap2it doesn't have that. However, Zap2it also has episodes 6 and 7 scheduled for October (the 7th and 21st, respectively) and Disney's site says "Fridays on Disney Channel" so I would assume it would continue to air there.

18. I.R. Shokew

Dangit - I need to see this show, NOW.

19. DonkeyKongSong

My cable provider (Verizon FiOS) still has Polly and the Zhu Zhu Pets to air in repeats this week.

Episode 1 will air Monday September 19 at 2:30pm
    Episode 3 will air Wednesday September 21 at 3:20pm (may be slightly off - schedule distorted from 2:30-4:15pm due to Adventures in Babysitting airing at 4:15pm)
    Episode 2 will air Friday September 23 at 4:10pm (schedule distorted from (3:45-5:30pm due to Bolt airing at 2pm)
    Episode 3 will air Monday September 26 at 1:30pm

Anyway, so I finally caught up.

I gotta say, I wasn't too crazy about the grocery store episode. It's a bit dated for them to be making fat/eating jokes about Chunk, though that was to be expected from the theme song. And he was going to eat the second bag too? That kinda made him unlikable for this episode. I did like how Mr. Squiggles used the cheese wedge to propel them, though. And again, kudos for a lack of "it wasn't the cookies! The magic was in you all along!" message.

Today's first short was a bit better though. At first I had thought that Polly had gotten Walter permanently, and I like that they didn't blame each other for losing him. Even Polly took some responsibility for leaving the gate open. What I didn't get was, were the hamsters not expecting Walter to chase them when they made the cat robot thing? I guess they may not have been planning for the extra dogs.

Unfortunately, the Mr. Kerdle short really didn't do it for me. I've been able to suspend my disbelief for a lot of stuff here, but now we're just getting too ridiculous. I mean, was the principal really that stupid that she couldn't tell those obviously faked announcements were fake? And the Zhu Zhus kinda pushed it a bit when trying to befriend Mr. Kerdle. But how it was messed up was way too contrived. I mean, there's been a lot of slapstick comedy so far, like someone falling over at a noise, but Polly opening the door knocking Mr. Kerdle all around the room? I'm willing to bet someone will call this one of the "most mean spirited episodes of a cartoon" (it does have shades of "Everybody Knows It's Bendy" from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends). I do like that it doesn't cram morals down your throat, but I would hate to see this show go to the other extreme (which Foster's did do at times).

On the plus side, though, I do like that despite wearing glasses, Num-Nums isn't really treated as the "smart one" of the group. Mr. Squiggles seems to be that one. I did notice that they started saying, "Let's Zhu this!" and just when they seemed to not have any catch phrases for the first few shorts (except maybe "it hasn't been tested yet" from Mr. Squiggles). I also do like that their hamster bus is powered by Chunk running (and as I hoped, they just had a tube leading right to the grocery store so they didn't need Chunk for it), but in the glove one, if the brakes weren't working, how did they turn?

I'm being a bit nitpicky though. Overall, I'm still enjoying the series and I will continue to watch it.

20. I.R. Shokew

I've only just watched the latest effort - gotta be honest; it's nothing special/spectacular. But, cliches aside:
    + It is nice to see parents know the kid can talk to the hamsters.
    + Other humans can understand them, too, which is nice.
    + It's got a nice presentation / animation for something clearly made with something simple like Toon Boom or whatnot.
    + For a little kids show, it doesn't come off as offensively girly - yet, anyway - gotta be vigilant on this kind of crap, after all...

Yeah - I could see myself watching newer eps. & re-runs of this, despite my criticisms. For now, of course. Again, gotta be vigilant about the quality of what I put myself through.