1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Zeta Project: Season Two" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Rate and Comment on this DVD Release!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The long-awaited home video release of The Zeta Project's second season is here in a new two-disc collection!

[​IMG]
    The Zeta Project: Season Two
    Studio:
    Warner Archive
    Available to Order: March 14th, 2017

Synopsis: Renegade "synthoid" Zeta (voice of Diedrich Bader, Batman: The Brave and the Bold), marked for reprogramming after developing a conscience and defying his evil orders, flees from a ruthless government agent. Capable of transforming himself at will into any human shape and possessing amazing cybernetic resources, Zeta joins Ro (voice of Julie Nathanson, Beverly Hills 90210) a 15-year-old street kid in her own kind of trouble with the law. In this spin-off from the blockbuster animated series Batman Beyond, futuristic vehicles, weapons and technology meld with the touching and humorous story of two misfits who need each other to survive in a dangerous world.

Discuss This DVD!

This thread is only for actual discussion of the DVD release. Please check out the The DC Animation Forum Talkback Collection Thread to access talkbacks for every episode of The Zeta Project and Batman Beyond, and also check out the related links below.

Related Discussion:
    -The Zeta Project: Season One DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Beyond: The Complete Series DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Please keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Please keep discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Kirben

Kirben Member

Could anyone who ordered direct from Warner Archive confirm whether the discs are pressed or not?

Also are subtitles included or not?

3. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Member

The disc's are not pressed. They are DVD-R (Purple/Blue). The artwork is bland and kinda low-res and the case is VERY cheap. I actually switched the case out with one that has a flipper because of how hard the discs are to remove. I'm so glad they finally put this out, but the quality of the packaging is sub-par. I have not watched any of it yet though so I can't speak to the audio/video.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

Thanks for the information Dallas! I'm not surprised that the discs aren't pressed; Warner Archive seem to have cut back on pressing early release batches in late 2015. Still, I'm very grateful to them that the series was finally completed on DVD at all!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

How are the menu screens and the quality of the episodes themselves? My copy won't be arriving for a little while yet and I'm really curious to see how the whole package looks. There are a lot of second season episodes I haven't seen and I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first time here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A Brisk Autumn Day

A Brisk Autumn Day New Member

Haven't gotten my copy yet, but I noted somewhere else how bad the cover looks. If someone told me they just went to worldsfinestonline.com or something for a screenshot of an episode and blew it up so it was big enough, I would only be 50% sure they were joking. I might design my own thing for it eventually. But at this point, it's like, I don't even really care. I find it more humorous. xD

Wait, so are you saying they may be pressed eventually?

7. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

No, I'm saying that Warner Archive look to have stopped manufacturing pressed discs of early shipments of their titles - at least, in all of my experiences since late 2015.

I've heard mention that they were still pressing a few DVD titles after that, but certainly all the animation titles I've purchased on release date since late 2015 have exclusively been DVD-Rs rather than pressed DVDs. They've never made a formal announcement or anything, but it really looks like their practice of pressing early shipments of their DVD archive titles came to an end over a year ago, so Zeta didn't get a pressed disc version now, and will almost certainly not get pressed discs in the future through the archive program.

Static will be the same when it gets released at the end of the month; it will only available on DVD-Rs and there will be no pressed disc version.

8. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Member

Ok so I've watched about 4 episodes so far and the video quality is actually slightly lesser than the original Season 1 DVD set. Aliasing is pretty bad in some scenes and line art is VERY choppy and stair-steppy. All-in-all, it's still decent quality. Not Blu Ray quality by any means, but decent. It all depends on your home theater as well. If you have a blu ray player with up-conversion capability, it should help smooth some of those issues out. I've been reading about problems with DVD-R vs pressed discs and apparently DVD-R has a lower lifespan. On the Warner Archive site they address this:

Q: What is the durability of a DVD-R vs. a stamped or replicated DVD? I've heard that recordable DVDs are less durable than stamped DVDs. Is that true?

A: Recorded DVD-Rs and stamped (or replicated) DVDs are actually very similar. The difference is really just how the data is recorded on the media. DVD-Rs burn data patterns on an ink layer of the DVD. With stamped DVDs data patterns are molded within a texture layer of the DVD. While DVDs have only been prevalent for the past 10-12 years, independent laboratories have used stress testing to evaluate both types for playability over time, resistance to effects of aging, etc. These test show that DVD-Rs can be expected to last many years, just as stamped DVDs.

As a "real-world" testament to this – consider the CD-R. These have been in wide spread use for 15-20 years with no evidence of any systemic deterioration over that time. DVD-Rs use similar ink pattern technology to CD-R.

Note, though, as with any product, the key to longevity is proper care and maintenance. The surface of the DVD should be protected from scratches, finger prints, high heat sources and direct sunlight as noted earlier. The ink layer of a DVD-R is more sensitive to prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, so no leaving the DVD upside down on the dash board of your car.

• Informative Informative x 1