The WWE Network Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by JabarR, Sep 17, 2011.

1. JabarR

JabarR Member

WWE recently took out a $200 million line of credit with JP Morgan Chase Bank to finance the planned WWE Network and help the company expand its digital library. - At this time, WWE has not yet finalized exactly what will air on the network. Of course, the backbone of the network will be WWE’s massive library of television footage spanning multiple decades from almost every major national wrestling promotion in history. There’s also the WWE Studios films that WWE can air at very little additional cost. Beyond that, several ideas have been discussed, including reality shows and scripted sitcoms starring current and past WWE superstars.
    - WWE will be pushing hard to have the network launched by the end of 2012.

(Partial Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter)

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

My guess is Kabletown/Comcast will be one of the launch providers. They've had quite a good relationship with WWE, so it seems like a natural extension of that process.

It will be interesting to see who else they could possibly get to sign on with most providers already running out of bandwidth as it is. Sure most of them will be dumping the simultaneous analog feeds running alongside their digital feeds in the coming year or two, but they still have to get the back-end in place to support it.

I honestly wonder if WWE will just buy out a preexisting poorly performing channel will a large subscriber base. It seems like it'd be easier to convert over a network than have to start completely from scratch.

3. Beat

Beat Retired

G4 is constantly rumored to be ripe for a buyer. The UFC was apparently interested in it till they scored the Fox deal, perhaps with them out of the way the WWE will buy it instead.

4. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

I had their WWE 24/7 subscription service for about a year, and dropped it because they barely updated the thing, and what they did put up was often heavily edited. Not just the obvious things like with Benoit on old Nitros and WWF logos, but doing stuff like using black-and-white with blood.

They'd really have to step up their game with a network in order for me to get behind it.

5. Spike Mcdougal

Spike Mcdougal The Legendary Outlaw

Really?

I was ready to say I hope I get this because I'm never going to see 24/7 or Classics or whatever it's called but if they're going to do that crap I don't know if I wanna mess with that

6. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

Yeah, they often do a vote on their website called "Pick Your Big One" where you get to pick the old PPV that they'll show that month, and I noticed a few times they would pull that. I'm not sure if they've since stopped (it's been probably almost a year since I've dropped it), but it was one of the deciding factors in me doing so.

I did always find it funny that they would do that but at the same time air entire ECW episodes as well (albeit the shows were more toned down than the PPVs, but still).

7. Dilla

Dilla Mad Decent Swag

Like this.

8. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah New Member

They've been doing that for quite a while now haven't they? I remember back in 2004, they aired a PPV match in full from Armageddon, and when John Cena bladed his opponent, the screen immediately went black/white and remained like that for the rest of the match.

I don't understand why they do that in the first place. Its been going on since way before the PG rating came into effect.

9. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

If they devote timeslots to old, unedited from their original broadcast, wrestling programs, most notably Raw, Nitro, and ECW TV, I will be thrilled about this. Otherwise it sounds like a giant waste of time.

10. RedNinja84

RedNinja84 Hotness 2.0

There is also the problem of music rights so you'll never get the full effect of the old ECW like the old pulp fiction promos. Its not the same without "Miserlou" playing in the background.

11. JabarR

JabarR Member

[/TD] [TD="width: 180valign=middle"] [/TD] [TD="width: 145"] [/TD] [/TR]
    [​IMG]

WWE Considering Airing WrestleMania On Planned Cable Network

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm
    Tagged with Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Survivor Series, WrestleMania, WWE Network

WWE issued a survey yesterday regarding their planned WWE Network launch next year to select mailing list subscribers. The survey suggests that WWE’s “classic big 4″ pay-per-view events would be included in the channel at no additional cost.
    Imagine a 24-hour cable network that was run by The WWE. It featured a mix of WWE-made programs, including new shows, repeats of Raw and SmackDown from USA and Syfy and “classic” or “historical” programs featuring shows from different promotions like classic WWE footage, WCW, ECW, NWA, AWA, etc. from years past.
    It would have two new weekly WWE live in-ring shows (wrestling), but not SmackDown or Raw.
    It would have a daily live in-studio viewer interactive show similar to SportsCenter.
    Additionally, this network would include WWE’s “classic big 4″ pay-per-view events including WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series and Royal Rumble to the lineup at no additional cost. Rather than having to pay for them, they would now be specials with the same match quality you’re used to seeing on pay-per-view for no additional cost. These 4 events would only be available on The WWE Network.
    In addition to The WWE Network, you would receive approximately 30 additional channels including NFL Network, NBA TV, Biography Channel, Fox Business Network and Fuel TV.
    How interested would you be in upgrading your service for an additional $7-$12 per month to a tier which would include the WWE Network described above?

Source: SEScoops.com

12. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

That would be a huge gamble by the WWE that wouldn't be very smart. Why would you put your four most successful PPV's in terms of sales on a cable network for no cost? I could understand every other PPV event, but those four raise huge questions in my mind.

As far as the other two in-ring shows, I suppose NXT and Superstars would get those spots since they are currently web exclusive. WWE would probably much rather have them on WWE Network than online.

13. Arrow

Arrow New Member

I'm not a businessman or a member of WWE management so I'm probably missing something here, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Of all pay-per-views, why would they even consider giving away the "Big Four" for free? Aren't those the events that make them the most money? Especially WrestleMania. Why not the less important ones - Capitol Punishment or Vengeance? Or past showings of those events, such as WrestleMania XX, instead of whichever one is currently coming up? But, again, I'm probably missing something.

Not that I'd be complaining, of course. Those shows are the only ones that I make any real effort to actually pay for, so WWE would be saving me a lot of money by putting those up on their channel instead of me having to buy them. And I'd be pretty excited to see some of that classic footage from WCW and ECW.

14. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

That logic seems so backwards for me. Wrestlemania is the only PPV that does decent business anymore (and still gets wrecked by big UFC and boxing cards) and that is the one they want to give away? The big four are the only ones I would keep on PPV, maybe even bumping up the price, and putting the other ones on WWE Network, and maybe a price reduction on PPV for those people who don't want or don't have access to WWE Network.

15. JabarR

JabarR Member

Here's how I feel they should put this network together:

Sunday

PPVs all day and night, especially Live and classic PPVs

Monday

The All-Day Monday Night Wars showing all episodes of Monday Night RAW and WCW Monday Nitro

Tuesday - Friday

They should show other classic show from WWF/WWE, WCW. ECW, AWA, Smoky Mountain Wrestling, and FCW Wrestling. Have a few original comedy, dramatic and reality shows

Saturday

Repeats of this week's RAW and SmackDown!

How about that?

16. langden alger

langden alger New Member

Take away the reality shows and you've got a deal....I'd like to see at least one channel that isn't clogged up with them....I'd also be worried about a comedy show....we've all seen what Vince Mcmahon thinks of as funny.:shrug:

17. Arrow

Arrow New Member

wwe.com has a poll up asking people to vote on their new Divas Reality show...

What would you name WWE’s first reality show, featuring our Divas?

WWE Network promises to deliver the most interactive TV experience ever. We’re asking you to help us name our Divas Reality Show. A reality show that welcomes you aboard the private Divas tour bus as it travels from venue to venue. Cameras will roll 24/7, capturing the unscripted bonds, battles, and behind-the-scenes drama that only our WWE Divas can deliver when their public and private lives merge on the open road.

What would you name WWE’s first reality show, featuring our Divas?

1. WWE Divas Hot Wheels
    2. WWE Divas Road Trip
    3. WWE Divas Heels on Wheels
    4. WWE Divas Joy Ride
    5. WWE Diva Detour

18. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Where's the option for "WWE Divas Pit of Garbage" or "Kelly Kelly Says the Dumbest Things?" :p

19. JabarR

JabarR Member

- WWE issued yet another survey on Tuesday regarding the upcoming network – this time, asking fans if they would change cable providers in order to get the new WWE Network.

The survey noted that WWE’s eight ‘secondary’ pay-per-views would be featured on the network while the “big four” (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam and Survivor Series) would remain on pay-per-view.

This is a change in direction from what was originally planned – when WWE was discussing moving WrestleMania and the “big four” to the WWE Network as a way to push fans to get the WWE network.

COMMENTS: What do you think about WWE changing up their PPV strategy for the WWE Network? Are WWE’s secondary PPVs on the WWE Network enough to get you to subscribe?

(Source: pwinsider.com)

20. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I can understand moving the smaller PPV's to the Channel. You would still have people that don't have WWE Network that would order the PPV. The big four though is where WWE makes most of its money, and the talk was of making the Big 4 a WWE Channel exclusive, as in no PPV money off of them. It made absolutely 0 sense. Why would you replace your top 4 moneymakers with a TV station that you will only get sponsorship funds from?