1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The World of Miley Cyrus

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Space Cadet, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

So, in case you were living under a rock for the past couple days, Miley Cyrus performed at the MTV VMA's and her performance is generating controversy due to how sexually charged it was. We have many people saying it was offensive, dumb, racist(due to twerking) or seeing nothing wrong with. My question to fellow TZ'ers is where do you stand on her performance?

Also, I'm going to use this thread to encompass all things Miley, at least in terms of music. She has a new album coming out in a couple months called Bangerz.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Because of course it is. And what's it been....five months since her previous one came out? This oughta be high-quality craftsmanship.

I don't think there's going to be much argument here -- that was one of the single most embarrassing and degrading things a human being has ever tried in public, put simply.

And in terms of publicity, it worked, but in the way Honey Boo Boo worked -- it was a train wreck that got people talking. Where does her career go from there? She'll only be encouraged to act worse, and....what is worse? Worse would get her arrested.

3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

4. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Her performance at the MTV VMAs was purely abominable. I like her, but not like this. Clearly, she's playing down to her weaknesses, instead of up to her strengths, meaning she should've stuck to country music- that's where Miley thrived and without any controversy. In the pop music world, that's where she struggles, badly- she's pulling all of these crazy stunts, such as that stunt at the MTV VMAs. What was the point in it, anyway- she's trying to be something that she clearly isn't. Whatever she's doing isn't working for her, not at all. Quite frankly, I think at this juncture, Miley just needs to lay low, take a powder for a while and recollect herself, before she goes far off the deep end. The worst part is she embarrassed not only herself, but her friends who watched in the audience, namely Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez. Also in the audience was Will Smith, his wife Jada and their children, Jaden and Willow- I bet Selena had to go over to Will and Jada and apologize for what they saw, Jaden and Willow didn't need to see that. More ramifications would include the possibility of Selena confronting Miley about her abominable performance at the MTV VMAs and how she embarrassed herself, her friends and family on national television, if it hasn't already happened. BTW, Kelly Clarkson also stated that Miley's MTV VMA performance didn't do her any good and set a very bad example and quite frankly, I agree with Kelly. Sunday night, Miley hit rock bottom, and because of that, she needs to lay low for a while and recollect herself. I'm not putting down Miley, but she's got to understand the serious risks of her Sunday night performance. More fallout will follow, and it won't be good, especially for her. She's going to be extremely busy doing damage control, big time. Now, if she can pull herself out of the pit that she's fallen into, get rid of the people who don't have her best interests at heart and mend fences with the people she's rubbed the wrong way, then we'll be thinking differently of her. I still like her, but this pop music business just isn't for her. To tell you all the truth, back in 2009, after listening to "The Climb", my attitude toward country music changed, forever, because of Miley Cyrus- that's where she truly belongs.

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

People get upset because it's Miley, because they can picture her as Hannah Montana, but you know who was actually in the Blurred Lines video, boobs hanging out, used as a ramp for toy cars and a backdrop for a song about rape? The cute teenage girl who was Gibby's girlfriend on iCarly.

[​IMG]

OMG! Topless Blurred Lines model Emily Ratajkowski used to be a cute kids' TV star - now

It's no better or worse because it's Miley, every woman was a girl once. We can't really pick and choose by cases, either we treat women like meat or we don't.

Here's a good song about the ironies of the topic from Jon Lajoie.

[video=youtube;O2zbxM4EehE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zbxM4EehE[/video]

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Honestly? First I was indifferent, I had no special investment in her career from the Hannah Montana era and all that. Then she sold out to become this stupid generic "mature" supposedly sexy singer so now she gets my scorn. That BS marketing line that this direction was a gutsy post-Disney move was a joke. No it wasn't. Cyrus isn't liberated, whatever she might tell herself. It was the most conformist career move imaginable.

All the attention she gets for her dumb stunts just feeds the cynical marketing strategy her soulless handlers have going, so the only way I pay attention to anything she says and does is when media makes it literally impossible to not notice. Which will still be too often, but what can you do.

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Frankly, as there are far more important things happening in the world right now (plus I don't follow the "new music"), this wasn't even on my radar screen.

8. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

I could care less. I'm responding simply because my co-worker tried playing the VMA's Miley performance on his phone on break yesterday. Didn't even know VMA was this on week, heh. Basically dropped all that secular stuff anyways. Everythings basically for shock factor now(DID YOU SEE WHAT SHE WAS WEARING, OMGggggg....!) to stay relevant. Oh and Illuminati mind control yadda yadda, but hey. Its just conspiracies, right? Right. Government keeping people in the dark, shady business left and right. But its all good ;) Cuz America wants all its citizens to be in "the know". The more ignorant you are, the better. So bring on VMA's 2014, woohoo!

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I was with your post until you started ranting about conspiracies. I really fail to see how that has anything to do with the topic.

10. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Agreed- it's like I stated, as much as I like her, Miley Cyrus is clearly playing down to her weaknesses instead of up to her strengths and like Kelly Clarkson said, "That's not really a good move to make". She needs to take a powder for a while, get out of the spotlight and recollect herself- she's not doing herself any favors by selling her soul like this.

11. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

I guess lots of folks think then it was a diversion to not think what happen elsewhere in some parts of the world. Some even decided to jump on the occasion for joking with an fake CNN article made by the staff of the Onion. Why CNN gave Miley Cyrus top spot over Syria - Boing Boing

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I must be living under a rock, since I hadn't heard about the MTV VMA debacle.

13. firefoxprime

True. Something about using famous artists to control the minds of the masses. The job is done. People are talking about her. The shock value etc. She's for now relevant. I can say that there are people out there that study the human mind, and research ways to control it. Most of the time its indirect. I mean c'mon. Its what we have marketing for. To put ideas in ppls minds. Miley performed in a provacotive way, knowing very well people would talk. Its pretty simple stuff dude.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Attributing desperate self-marketing stunt by a crazy, likely drug addled starlet to Illuminati mind control is tin foil hat territory. I guess the Lizard People are involved, too?

15. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, crab people ;)

16. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Miley Cyrus: it's the end of an era. Many months of teen girl fanbase/fandom have just fallen down the well.

17. firefoxprime

Hey, skepticism is a GOOD thing. All I know...is if you want to keep people in the dark, pretend you don't exist. Its that simple. Heh, I didn't even put the christian aspect in, since the mind control stuff is pretty self explanatory.

I used to love the VMA's, but with the quality of music(not all, just mainstream stuff, gotta grab that least common denominator) goin down the drain, I've left it alone. More info in spoiler, cuz I don't wanna derail the thread.

18. Shawn Hopkins

Skepticism is fine. Conspiracy-mongering is not, especially not religious conspiracy-mongering.

To believe the government can pull off a conspiracy like this, you need to believe in a strange combination of ultimate government hypercompetence, mixed with just enough chinks in the armor that you yourself, in an ego-satisfying way, and a few others on the internet were able to figure it out because you're smarter than everyone else.

But the government is not hypercompetent. The government could never keep a conspiracy like the Op Miley that you propose from getting to people who would gleefully disseminate it. The government couldn't keep Bradley Manning or Edward Snowden from spilling its most damaging secrets, you think they'd keep the hundreds of opportunistic Hollywood types it would take to pull off Op Miley quiet?

Did you ever hear of Occam's Razor? It's a really simple concept. It just says that when considering competing hypotheses, the one that requires the fewest number of assumptions should be preferred. Apply this to Op Miley. Op Miley requires that we assume a vast network of government skullduggery, the corruption of Hollywood, some kind of Mark of the Beast stuff, and the motivation to do this complex and long-game thing to distract people from something that's already in the news and is inevitable.

The other alternative requires no assumptions, only a little bit of deduction. Miley has been saddled with the Hannah Montana image for a long time, and she appears to be trying to shake it. She's shaking it hard, and in directions you kind of want to look away from.

I'm not going to ask you which one makes more sense. I'm telling you. It's the second one. And any other time you come up with a wild conspiracy theory to explain a simple thing, it's actually the simple thing.

19. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry, but if I was an evil government cigarette-smoking man and I needed a distraction, I would think "bomb." I wouldn't call up ol' pal Miley. She's kinda unreliable.

20. firefoxprime

Bro, not gonna lie. I only got through the first paragraph. *wince* There's really nothing egotistically based. Its either your eyes are open or they're not. I'd be more willing to spread the word, than sit on a high horse X armchair and sneer gleefully across the web over my captivating "hypothetical findings". Its kinda hard talking about something while not talking about it. Kinda like discussing how to build a car, without refering to the actual parts. Its rough.

There's no real way I can lay out why this Cyrus show is just another cog in a circle of secular mush, without giving the christian foundations I stand upon. Which is fine, but that's warranting a mutual openess that's normally traded for "don't you dare bring religion into this" although its a common misconception, cuz its more of a relationship with Jesus, than a book o' rules. I really didn't discover this stuff through my own understanding. It was the holy spirit that really opened my eyes to the things unseen. Sounds absurd, but its fascinating stuff.

So until I can explain my findings without bash, I'll have to respectfully fade out of this pretty cool discussion.