1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

The Wonderful World of YouTube Part VI

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

So there was a scene in the Ferris Bueller TV show where Ferris and his sister kiss. Passionately and on purpose. It turns out to be Sloane under a mask, but still. This is the kind of thing Ferris is apparently into.

I imagine the cancellation came shortly afterward.
    Also, my "recommend" bar is now full of incest scenes from movies and TV. Thanks a lot, YouTube.

2. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Another favorite video from the Interdimensional Cable subreddit. The best way to view the stuff from there is through this site

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The first Netflix ad. Bet you didn't know the company went this far back.

In 2000 they were in financial trouble and offered to let Blockbuster buy them out for $50 million. Blockbuster turned them down.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The Gremlins 2 soundtrack. You're welcome.

5. twilicorn

Gremlins aside, let's talk Scientology

6. twilicorn

If you're gonna open a laundromat that only washes white clothes, you better be careful with what you name it.

7. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

The oldest trailer I've found yet for Song of the South:

It feels older than the date listed in the title, especially since the announcer and text don't say anything about the movie coming back. Unfortunately, the video cuts off before I could see whether it says "Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures" underneath the title (which would confirm this as the original trailer, listed under the wrong year).

8. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

A look at Monday, October 5, 2000:

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

How am I finding out about this just now? People are uploading those old tape-and-book sets as YouTube videos.

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The very first Beavis and Butthead ad. MTV knew exactly how to promote this.

11. twilicorn

Before I get to this video, I'll share a quote from this very site's article on "proto-stars":
    Anyway, here's Aubrey Plaza and some other people happily sucking on Ringpops, but with a side of crumbling marriage.

12. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

13. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

This film demonstrating the Magnavox Odyssey has got to be from 1972, yet it was still in tact enough to digitize it. Amazing!

14. Dsneybuf

For people here who remember BANG! Magazine's Batman vs. Batman, Lego made their own take on the concept, which I feel kind of surprised not to have shared here earlier:

15. Dsneybuf

I'd find it surprising if you haven't seen either of these already by now, but if so:

The humor doesn't rely entirely on Melissa McCarthy's weight (she doesn't even trip or barf, which seems to me like an even bigger rarity for her), but she does still act like a rude loudmouth, so I don't know if Mulberry would consider these an improvement.

16. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I posted some K-Mart music awhile back -- turns out there's a LOT more where that came from. Former employees have been adding to the stockpile at archive.org for a while...

https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

The first thing I did was play the November 1990 tape, hoping it would contain all the "soft rock" I was inundated with around that time. It did not disappoint in that regard. All my mother's favorites are there. Mandolin Rain within five minutes!

And I really have to thank this recording for putting a name to a melancholy song I remember hearing all the time in my childhood. Every so often a supermarket PA system will bring that old chestnut out and I have to stop shopping just to listen to it and think back. I never knew the name. "I'll Be Over You" by Toto. You get that one within twelve minutes.

17. twilicorn

Not as amusing as Baman Piderman IMO. If you never saw it yet here's a marathon to get you started:

18. Dsneybuf

The cutscenes of the Lego Dimensions levels inspired by Back to the Future and Ghostbusters, vs. actual movie clips:

Regarding the voice acting, the BTTF level had new dialogue recorded by Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, while the GB level used a mix of audio ripped from the movie (e.g., the Ghostbusters and Dana) and audio recorded by impersonators (e.g., Janine and Louis).

19. twilicorn

In honor of the vintage Kasem-era American Top 40 episodes finally being broadcast in my area, here's a NSFW remix of him swearing

...I'm sorry.

20. twilicorn

this person did a figure skating routine to a Steven Universe song

Speaking of which...