The Wonder Years: Complete Series DVD due in latter half of 2014

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Dan's Revenge, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

The Wonder Years DVD news: Press Release for The Wonder Years - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

One of thee releases of all releases! According to the article, StarVista/Time-Life have been 'painstakingly' securing the rights to the music heard on the series (which was the only reason it hasn't been out yet) and it looks like they've done it!

Whenever the release in the second-half is, this title will be one I seek, and I wont be surprised if it's a little on the pricy side considering what StarVista/Time-Life went through to do this.

(sign-up for first looks exclusive bonus content)
    Wonder Years Complete Series on DVD | Coming 2014

-----

EDIT: I think Vista/Time is playing it safe releasing it as a whole series, when you consider the music rights. They may be securing them long enough for that complete series, rather than wait extra lengths in time for individual releases, so that in theory is why it's only a complete release.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

OH THANK GOD.

I thought this day would never arrive. No more bootlegs and/or off-the-TV tapings at last! And yes, I want all the music....I'll pay any price!

3. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Niiiice. I haven't seen this show in years. I'd love to revisit it.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

This is certainly incredible news!! Music replacement typically doesn't bother me. But this is a show where the music is such a crucial part, almost another character in itself, so to know it will be intact is absolutely great news.

I liked The Wondery Years at the time when I was a kid, but when I saw it again in reruns as an adult, it was even better and resonated so much more than I ever thought it could. No doubt this is set is going to be pricey, but it will be worth it given the high quality of the show.

5. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

I feel the same way - as far as the show goes, it's natural you understand it better as you age and mature, then all of the situations feel real, and they really speak to you whether you were involved here, there or hadn't, but understand the 'drama' behind it. I think a lot of times growing up, and when I hear a certain song on radio, not necessarily a classic, just for me the way the music plays, I stop for a moment and reflect.

Whatever the price, and though I may hesitate a bit, I'll likely go for it and probably feel great about it later as if money wasn't an object. Don't want to run the risk of waiting for a price drop only for any of the music rights to expire that the set can't be continued in production.

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

First Batman, now Wonder Years, it looks like all the "holy grails" of tv shows are coming out on dvd. Wonder whats next.

7. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Too bad they probably won't get ALL the music, but I'm glad they're trying to get as much as possible, thus making this as official as possible.

That's the exact same thought I had, and I'm sure many others and their pet iguana did as well.

I'm not as inclined to get this on DVD at this point, but the show does still hold up, and I'm glad that it's finally happening and that people who have wanted this for a long time will be able to have this as part of their collection.

8. Storm Eagle

9. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

10. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

The DVD/Blu-Ray Thread is closing down due to lack of traffic, so discussing DVDs will go to the Entertainment Board, unless it's animated.

11. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

Update: StarVista/Time-Life are currently working on extras for this complete series, and want to know what your favorite episodes are, as it may have to do with those extras.

If you go to the link anyway, TimeLife made a post saying "Tell us your favorite Wonder Years episode and we’ll highlight the top choices in our DVD bonus features!"

The Wonder Years DVD news: Update about The Wonder Years - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

With a fall 2014 release, it's great that extras will be a part of it, and given the length of time it'll be before the release, they can come up with as much extras as possible to suffice disc space.

12. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Did they remember the first-run version of the pilot with a different narrator?

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Yeah, I wonder if they will include that version. (It was Arye Gross doing the original narration.) They could probably just do it as an alternate audio track. I remember seeing that version somewhere many, many years ago, and being baffled that it wasn't Daniel Stern's voice.

14. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

UPDATE: The original cast will be reunited for a shoot to answer questions on Time Life's Facebook page. They're letting fans ask questions that will eventually be answered by that cast. The footage used will be added to the bonus disc in the complete set.

If you're a FB user, you can go here. (wish they had alternative ways, but I guess that one's their best)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...44.172062.59290172844&type=1&relevant_count=1

15. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

16. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Got to admit, I wish it was a normal box. Paying extra for something that could potentially scratch up my shelf sounds annoying. Of course, it's not a van with wheels, or a giant book, or a talking fish on a plaque, but it still won't work. It won't fit sideways because the hinge on the door will jut out. Facing it frontward would take up too much room. But if I can't put it on the shelf, than where? Anyplace else for a DVD set is just dumb. Guess it can join my Zim House on the Island of Misfit DVDs.

Since they said "limited special edition" for that photo, does that mean there will be a normal box option? I sure hope so.

17. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

I'd assume so since they labeled is as collectible packaging - as cool as the locker thing is, and though I'd likely miss out on the yearbook thing, I'd likely go for just a regular packaging.

18. Storm Eagle

I'll probably end up getting this just because, even if I may not watch it a lot.

19. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I only hope the discs aren't put in scratch-causing sleeves, a la Simpsons seasons 11 & 12 and Star Wars The Complete Saga. Just give us traditional hubs and I'll be happy.

As for the size of the box, I feel your pain. Anime had the same problem until companies started to slim down box sizes in the late '00s.

20. Storm Eagle