1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Fan Fiction The Wolf's Return

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Dragon, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Dragon

Dragon Member

Do not worry, I am not stealing any characters. Any of the same or similar name are of my own creation. Unlike my other work, which is open for editation, this one is of a very different genre. I sincerely hope that it is enjoyed by all. now, without further ado, The Wolf's return.

Prologue

The figure stood silhouetted against the moon, his black and yellow cloak rustling slightly in the breeze. He sighed, the mist of his breath stolen away by the western wind. The cold was bad, but not so bad that he couldn’t stand it. Sweat beaded slightly on his face, and he raised his green gloved hand to wipe it away. Today was the anniversary of their deaths, the day he had lost his parents and brother. Despite his mask, a tear found its way to his chin. From there, it dropped ten stories to the waves below. He stood watching as it became one with the sea. He tipped his head slightly, the face of one man standing out in his mind. The man who had engineered the plot that changed his life. The man who had taken his family based on the flip of a coin. The face, of Two Face Harvey Dent. He traced the symbol on his left breast. Some time after their deaths, he had taken up the role of a superhero, despite that he had no powers. A beeping brought him back to reality. His friends had stood by him, no matter how much they had been through. Turning his head he scanned the Jump city skyline. A skyscraper beckoned. Not the tallest in the city, but definitely noticeable. He thought back to the day he had heard the rumors. Not much, but they had led him well. He had been here for several years, and had ended up becoming the head of a superhero team. The leader of his friends, but only when in battle. Other times, they just hung out in the building below. He turned to the skyscraper ahead. If his target was to be found after all this time, that’s where it would be. He grinned slightly. Running forward, he leapt to the street below, leaving a single black feather drifting slowly downwards.

#1 Dragon, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2006
  2. SecretNinja

SecretNinja Robin's missing his pants.

You spelt prologue wrong..:) but other then that its an interesting...prologue:p Not to point out the obvious but...that was Robin *points out obvious*

3. Dragon

Dragon Member

(evil laugh)

That is obvious. May I draw attention to the fact that Slade knew all of the information he was giving the Titans in Apprentice part 1?

Wait and see. It isn't called The Wolf's Return for nothing. Or should I say, The Wulf's Return?

4. Dragon

Dragon Member

Well, I am thanking you all, first and foremost for taking the time to read my tale. Hello, I am sorry for such a large delay, however, one must not misspell a word, or accidentally place foreshadowment where it is unintended. Speaking of foreshadow, there is a key sentence in there that leads to some speculation. I ask that you read the tale closely, and attempt to divulge it. If you are correct, I will give you a clue about a secret, seeing as this tale will have plenty of twists and turns. Please relax, for the tale will be a story to keep you on the edge of you seats. Also, there is a hidden message in this post. and I will place a special secret if you can tell me the secret message. You must, however, post your answer in plain view of everyone on this thread, seeing as that is the only way to qualify. If enough people guess at the secrets, I will post the answers in plain view, and not send any private messages. Good luck!

5. SecretNinja

The sky scraper is titans tower! <- hmmm clever

And by clever...i mean im clever...

6. Dragon

Dragon Member

Very good. If you reread the prologue, you will notice that the figure is standing on a ten story building, observing a SKYSCRAPER that stands out. if anyone spotted this before, please notify me with a post. And, as promised, the information is as follows. the figure is not Robin, but it is not someone new to the titansverse. I am, unfortunatly, too caught up inthe act of suspense to tell you who it is. however, I will tell you this: the figure is closely related to Robin. very closely. if you have a guess, please post a reply to me on this site. I may, or may not tell you, but you will eventually discover the identity within the tale. And by the way, the figure is wearing a cloak, not a cape like Robin's.

7. Dragon

Dragon Member

Well, here is the first part of chapter one. I hope sicerely that you all enjoy it, as well as the humor. I would sincerely like more than one person to reply, however, or I will not be posting. Also, there will be an intermission in my writing, so if I do not post for a while, that is the reason. This chapter is going to contain a bit of humor, and I hope you enjoy it. Inchapter two, all of the Slade fans can be on the lookout, as he will be one of the main villians. As to the identity of the second, here is a riddle. And no, the villian is not The Riddler.

Faces Before, a double in one. The Magic is seven, and yet it is not. Subtract from it Five, and add what you have. A double visage, the truth is writ. The past doth return from the beginning of his tale. A legacy written, Forever's the key. Seeing without, two will it be. Bird and Bat, Bat and Bird. The truth shall come out, the past must be heard.

For those of you who can figure this out, I tip my hat. I only hope that it is discovered before it is revealed.

Well, enough chitchat. here's Chapter One.

Chapter one

‘Hai!’ ‘Hai!’

Robin spun about, his leg locked straight. In one fluid movement, he brought it about to the top section of the punching bag. Turning slightly to the right, he brought it straight down, severing the seam. Lowering his leg fully, he turned his back to it, and ended the session with two short jabs to the center of the bag with his elbows.

He bent over, slightly exhausted. It felt good to take out his anger on an inanimate object. The anniversary of their deaths was always such a burden. He couldn’t even reveal what happened to the other Titans. A tear coursed its way down his face, mingling with the sweat. Sighing, he straightened and headed to his room.

After a shower, he headed to the living room. As he walked down the hall, the faint sounds of discord, coupled with the bittersweet aroma of bacon and tapioca. A grin wormed its way onto his face, despite the grief he was feeling. Cyborg had finally convinced Beast boy to eat something other than tofu, only to have the little changeling turn to tapioca instead.

“Ya know? I think I liked the tofu better!” Shouted Cyborg as Robin entered the room. “At least it came from a plant I’ve heard of, at least. Not like this manioca, or manamook, or whatever.”

“Its manioc!” yelled BB. “M-A-N-I-O-K!”

“I believe that this delightful southern plant is spelt as the M-A-N-I-O-C” Starfire joyfully supplied.

Cyborg and Beast boy looked at her oddly and heatedly continued their ceaseless debate.

Robin shook his head. His friends would never cease to amaze him. He sighed. All the merrymaking was a welcome break from the pain he was feeling.

Raven turned to look at him. Gifted with telekinetic abilities, she could sense when a person was close, or what they were feeling. And Robin was no exception.

“You know, you can’t keep this pain bottled up.” she said. “It will only grow and grow until it overwhelms you. And that is the last thing you want in a battle.”

“I know. I just, can’t tell you right know.” Robin said. “All you need to know is that today is the anniversary that I lost all I held dear at the time.”

“In other words, your family, home, and all possessions.” Raven said.

Robin couldn’t help a little smile sneaking onto his face. Raven for all her mystery and secrecy, had a knack for getting to the root of a problem. It was most likely because she had to rely on discovering it so she would not lose control of her emotions. She would make a great guidance councilor if she chose. In the meantime though, he had to look to the present.

8. Dragon

Dragon Member

Well, Here is the second part of chapter 1. It is a bit longer, and introduces, or rather, reintroduces, several key players. I am sorry, Slade fans, but he does not come in until next chapter. please reply, for I wish critisim and thoughts. I dearly hope you find parts of it well written, and humorous. and, to tale a leaf from the book of another, I will not post chapter 2 until I have had ten replies that are not written by me. So, if you wish to read more, please post!

Ah, well, my mind is rambling let us cut directly to the chase, and yes, it is a small sort of chase.

“Rae? Sorry I can’t tell you. It’s just too painful right now. Maybe tomorrow though.”

Raven smiled. She had gotten through to him. He might not tell right now, but she could wait, and she would.

The two were bickering, as they always had.
    “Hit the bank, it’s unguarded. It’s always unguarded this time of night.”

“No way. They’re hot enough on our trail as it is.”

“Come one, what’s the worst that could happen?”

“We could be caught, thrown in prison and stuck together for the rest of eternity.”

“Good point, but they don’t even know we’re here. We’ll be fine.”

The second one shook his head. “Why am I always the voice of reason around here? We have to clear out, find a new city. We’re gonna get caught otherwise.”

“Nuh-uh. Nothin’ doin’. I was born here, just like you. We’re staying put.” the first said.

There was a hum in the background. Faint at first, it steadily grew louder.

“See? I told ya they’d find us! Now, can we clear out?” the second asked.

“Hey, I am not going anywhere.”

The rustle of a fringed cloak caught their attention.

“Uh, flip ya for it?” The first asked. “You know the way it works, or did you forget? Heads, we leave, Tails we stay. Got it?”

“Yeah, but you forgot one thing. We leave either way. There is no…”

“Whatever. Ready?”

He flipped the coin. The head, a little scratched up, landed. The coin had obviously seen a lot of wear and tear, but was still readable.

“Looks like we’re going.”

A hiss rent through the air as their pursuer’s trademark missile hurtled towards them.

“Run! He’s here!” the first cried.

Dodging more missiles, the two ran to the back entrance, and jumped into their getaway car. Chance might have been on their side, as their pursuer had left it untouched. With a screech of rubber on pavement, the car sped away, a small sign falling to the ground, spinning in their wake. It read: Jump City or Bust.

Their pursuer slammed his fist into the ground. He had let him get away. Ten seconds later, a girl ran into the room.

“Sorry I’m late, couldn’t find a place to park my bike.”

“That could have waited.” Her mentor said. “He got away, and is headed to Jump City. We have to warn Richard.”

“Come on, lighten up. It isn’t as if he’ll take it personally.” She teased. Her mentor turned to look at her, his eyes barely visible beneath his cowl.

“Actually, he will take it very personally. I have a business meeting there next weekend. You can come with me, and we’ll tell him together.”

“Really? Thanks a ton! I never get to go with you! Let’s head back and I’ll get packed!” Batgirl ran off, leaving her masked mentor shaking his head.

“Kids.” He muttered, “I’ll never understand them. Oh well,” he sighed. “She sure has spunk, I’ll give her that.”

9. SecretNinja

Hmm so chapter one shows Robin's mentor the BAT<3...and Batgirl and some random theives. Excellent. But i have couple nit picks....

Isn't Robin's real name Dick Grayson? Like when Larry came he said his name was "Nosyarg Kcid" <- which is it backwards....meh...thats just what i thought.

AND...

No offense...dude or dudette...but your going to have to wait...a long long long long long long long long long long *takes deep breath* LONG time for 10 replies....The Teen Titans fanfiction board has kinda died down.... I dunno why but after they moved it ...people stopped reading..or...just got lazy? I dunno...but...Yeah. 10 replies shall be a sight to see.

-S-N-

10. Dragon

Dragon Member

Thank you for comments. Have no fear, that is Richard Grayson, I just prefer to use his full name, partially to annoy people, partially to confuse them. I wrote Robin as Rick, to use my own nickname, if you will pardon me, seeing as I have only seen the Batman movies,(live action, with a couple of animated) and the Teen Titans show. The whole idea of ageing a character like Robin is puzzling. That, and the idea of successors. Theoretically, they would choose a new hero name. Another reason that I chose Rick is because his past is incredible, and makes for an excellent comeback story.

Oh, and as for the long wait for replies, why don't they move it back in order to get more posts? That just doesn't make sense.

Those two random thieves are actually my main villian (singular on purpose.) This is a story, where the past returns to haunt Robin, not like in Haunted though. the theives? think smeagol-gollum, and search his past for a similar character. (think yin and yang) Look at my riddle, it is a clue in itself. if you need some help in deciphering it, just say so. but while I will always tell the whole story, you may not be able to see it at first.

Clear in hindsight, Rarely in foresight.
    The most clear clue is the phrase " A double visage." What is a visage, and what does double mean?
    Find those answers, and reread this part of the tale.

'He had let him get away' Not them, him. Singular. I have given an awful lot of foreshadow in this tale, but it is mostly up to you to figure it out....

11. SecretNinja

No...i said. Isnt Robin's name Dick Grayson.... i mean isnt that what he is said as in the show?

12. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Dick is short for Richard. One could assume he kept using it simply because everyone he'd known up until then used it, but if he were trying to reinvent himself, as Dragon is attempting to do (if I'm guessing correctly), it's possible he'd switch to using a different nickname, or his full name. He's not little Dicky anymore.

Never the less, Dragon, I will tell you this once, and only once. Read the rules of this forum, thoroughly. Statements such as this:

Are soundly unacceptable. Ransoming for replies is egotistical and just plain not fair. In the FAQ it states I should close this thread immediately and issue you a warning, however, given that you've not been around much, I'll let it slide. Also, the SilentNinja's point was that you'll need to wait a long time before posting a new chapter because, 1) this a low-traffic forum, and 2) your story isn't so phoenominal that it should ever require ten posts per reply. One could call that, "Overestimating the value." I call it, "Being a reply-mongering punk," so don't let it happen again.

Oh, and the last paragraph 'explaining' what was blatantly apparent in your previous 'chapter' was totally superfluous. Not that it really matters to me, but hey, arrogance will get you nowhere, my friend.

13. SecretNinja

Nice... The moderators are great. I like how they...respond :p

14. Dragon

Dragon Member

Ahh, Please forgive my horrific abscence. Well, let me adress some of the issues.

I am not attempting to reinvent Robin, and I only mentioned his name a bit, so as to clarify which Robin he is. There is a great deal of offensive language now assosciated with the other nickname, so I simply came up with the new one to stay out of that fan fiction nightmare.

As to the ten replies thing, I am deeply sorry, and regret my insufficient knowledge in that that was unacceptable. As of now, that idea is null and void.

As for the beginning of the second half of chapter 1, it was written seperatly from the first half, and I could not remember whether or not I had stated that point.

I hope that this answers some of your questions.

i am currently going to work on the second chapter, which further delves into "Shadow Robin", the term meaning that his name is never metioned, nor does he speak.

Also introduced is Slade, and he teams up with the small - time twosome. During this chapter, Batgirl, for lack of something better to do, will become an honorary titan, and manage to drive both Starfire and Raven up the wall.
    To clear this up now, the Batgirl I am using is the one that I know the best, the Batman and Robin batgirl, who is Alfred's niece. It will not be all dark, as I am going to attempt some humor with a running gag, in which Alfred will nearly reveal Robin's identity. See how many times you can spot the occurence!

Ta Ta for Now!

15. Dragon

Dragon Member

Here's chapter two of The Wolf's return. Slade finally appears, but not where you thought he'd be. There is a fight scene, et cetera. Enjoy!

Chapter 2

Slade was running. And it wasn’t from the Titans. It was from a punk thief.

“Go away. I don’t have time for you.” he snarled.

“Oh yeah? Well, dude, I got news for ya. Yer not top doggie anymore.” The thief said, rather enjoying himself.

Slade grimaced. Ever since he had fought with the Titans at the end of the world, he had been seen as a coward, and all his funds had been destroyed. He was so humiliated, that he could not bring himself to fight with the Brotherhood of Evil. He had tried, though. Only to be made a laughingstock and rejected.

It had had an upside, though. Aside from a few minor villains, he was the only one remaining.

THOCK! Preoccupied with his thoughts, he had neglected to watch where he was going, and run right into a lamppost.

“Argh. Things just are not going my way these days.” he said, rubbing his nose. Giving it a tweak, he ensured that it was not broken, and turned to continue.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Slade froze. He knew that voice like the back of his hand. He groaned.

“You are a persistent one, I’ll give you that. Now run along and leave me be.”

The figure smiled. “I don’t think so. You’re a criminal, and have to be brought to justice.”

With those words, he leapt into the air, and extended his Bo staff. After one full midair revolution, he touched down, bringing it up and slightly to the right.

Slade jumped, mimicking the movement to avoid contact. Realizing that his foe would not just get up and walk away, he sprang into action. ‘Maybe, I can regain some of my lost glory in this battle.’ he thought to himself.

With that thought to inspire him, he leaped into the air, performing a somersault, with a vertical kick thrown into the mix. Upon landing, he struck out with his right hand.

Not to be outdone, the figure slid along the ground, hurling an ice disk upwards. His shot was successful, and he caught Slade on the knees. Running up, he lashed to the left with his staff, giving a simultaneous roundhouse punch a split second after.

Slade moved to avoid the staff blow, and caught the full brunt of the punch. Realizing that he had to bail, he got up and hopped on two legs, as the ice disc had frozen his legs together, and locked his hands to his body.

The figure saw Slade hopping away, when a car pulled up next to Slade. From within, Slade could hear two people bickering.

“I say we leave him” the first voice said. “I say we bring him, he knows the location.” The second replied logically. “Oh, yeah? Well, why don’t we ask him?” the first said. “Excuse me, would you like to accompany us on a reign of terror?” a new and unfamiliar voice asked.

“Hmm, very well; although, we will most likely end up attempting to destroy each other.” Slade said.

“Um, I think you misread our intentions. We don’t wish to take over the city, only finish a job we started.” The ominous voice answered.

Slade’s eye widened. “Well then, it would appear that to join the three of you, as I assume there are, in an effort of conquest.”

The figure in the car sighed. “Very well, get in. the sooner, the better.”

Slade wasted no time in hesitation of forethought. His pursuer was fast gaining on him. Springing up, he dove into the car. Catch his breath, spent from contact with the seat, he looked up. His eye widened in startled disbelief. “I thought that you were dead!” he blurted out. The man smiled.

“As you can see, we are very much alive.”

Robin was fast asleep, when his watch beeped. At first, he didn’t hear it, seeing as it was locked in a secret compartment in his briefcase. He snorted lightly, his doze casually interrupted by the incessant bleeping. However, like any good alarm clock, the sound wove its way into his brain, until he sprang out of bed, hitting his head on the ceiling as he did so.

“I’m awake! I’m awake!” he said, not too loudly. As he woke up fully, reality started to kick in. there was no figure standing at his bedside, waiting for him to get in the combat simulator. Just a memento yammering its circuits off.

“Why is he calling? He never calls.” Robin muttered. Slouching to his feet, he made his way over to the case and popped the secret compartment open. Taking out the communication watch, he pressed the activation button.

“Why are you calling? You never call.” he asked, feeling very bemused.

“We’re at the airport, and need a lift to wherever it is that you’re staying.” Bruce replied.

“The airport!?” Robin practically yelled. “And you didn’t tell me sooner?!”

“Yes. Now could you pick us up? Please try to look inconspicuous.” His mentor said.

“‘Us’? Who else is with you?” Robin couldn’t help but asking. He hoped it wasn’t Barbara; she would drive Star and Rae up the wall with her love of motorbikes, and stories of heroic missions. Missions that only himself, herself, and Bruce were in.

“Oh just Alfred.” His mentor said nonchalantly. Robin heaved a silent sigh of relief.

“And Barbara.” Bruce added as an afterthought. This time, Robin couldn’t help the groan that escaped as he thought of all the trouble this would cause. Saying goodbye, he left his room to alert the other titans to their unexpected roommates.

Star was the first to greet him as he rounded the corner to the living room.

“Robin! There you are! It is glorious to see that you are awake and well.” she said, hovering a few inches off the floor.

“Hey Robin!” Beast boy shouted, charging across the room to meet him.

“Hey guys.” Robin replied, somewhat downcast.

“Dude, what’s wrong?” Cyborg asked, walking over to the bunch. “You look like you just ate Star’s pudding.”

Robin sighed now was as good a time as any to announce his news.

“Cy? Can you go to the airport? Bruce Wayne has asked to stay at the tower.”

The titan’s jaws dropped. They were stunned.

“Dude! The richest guy in the world is stayin’ here, and you tell us just now?” B.B said, his eyes going wide. “We have to clean, and wash, and get rooms ready and, and, and…” the little changeling fainted in shock from the enormity of the situation.

“Well, whether we like it or not, we’re playing host to a very powerful man. So let’s get to work, and hope that no-one shows up to cause trouble.” Raven, the voice reason, interjected.

Cyborg sighed. Just his luck he had to build the T- Car and end up picking up a famous dude and likely embarrassing himself. Grumbling, he headed out to the garage, with the feeling that Beast boy would probably take top score while he was away.

16. Dragon

Dragon Member

Well, Chapter 3 is on the way, it has to be written perfectly, or the whole story will fall apart. right now, it's at the pen and paper stage, so it may take some time. And by the way, I would appreciate it if you would provide criticism on my chapters, telling me which bits you did and did not like, and offering me ways to improve it. I wish this to be well written, and need all the help I can get. I may have read a lot of books, but a fresh set of eyes is always good!

Chapter 3 synopsis- the gang finally get to the tower, the alarm goes off, and Bruce and the others are left in the dust as the titans rush off. Barbara sneaks off, puts on her outfit, and races to help. the titans are losing, when batgirl shows up. much surprise!

Slade, meanwhile, is busy preparing for an assult on the titans hq, while being frustrated by yin and yan. the assult is going to be big, and action packed, but won't happen till about ch 5. Robin and the Shadow Robin meet, and totally come over faint. Batgirl looks on in amazement,

Chapter 4 is basically just Robin telling the titans about hispast, identity, and connection to batman. The sixth chapter is Shadow Robin telling his story, in the aftermath of the battle. and in the end of ch 3, we learn the identity of the 3rd figure.

I hope that this is enough info to keep you interested, but just wait til you read chapter three. my goal is to have most of you staring at the last word, dumbfounded and wondering, with all the clues, if I was successful. After the chapter is out, I would really like to hear your reactions.

Ta Ta for now

17. Dragon

Dragon Member

Chapter 3 is, unfortunatly, coming along very slowly. however, I am glad that I have had over 200 reads. I would greatly appreciate it if someone wold comment, both posotive and negative is encouraged. I hate to do this, but, I would like to see th feedback on this, as it plays a key part in the story. Not all of the Flying Graysons are dead. And I am not referring to Robin. I dearly did not wish to tell, you, in order to try and surprise you. however, in order to keep some surprise in my tale, I will not tell you whom it is. And by the way, in case you have any thoughts, when the gender of a figure is unknown, it is best to use "he" instead of "it", seeing as that is so much less degrading. Well? how do you fell about that twist? please respond. meanwhile, i will try s hard as I can to finish chapter 3. and, if Funkatron does not mind the publicity, I would highly recommend his fiction, Haunted Destiny to you. even if you do not know all the characters, it is a very well written story, worthy of being read. it is as well written as the greatest novels of our time, and, I believe, due to long experience, worthy of publication. So I would highly advise that fiction. Whenever I read a good story, I will most likely recommend it, unless a clause is added to the rules, forbidding such action.

Ta Ta for now!

18. TorchLighter

TorchLighter two sides, same coin

Interesting theory. Not all the Flying Grayson's died(apart from Robin). Waaaiit a minute. Slade a low- rate crook??!! this is definately going somewhere. Keep it up

19. Dragon

Dragon Member

Well, chapter three is finally complete. unfortunatly, I had to juggle a few things, so Batgirl will not make a Jump City appearance until the next chapter. But, as all authors know, things do not move exactly as preferred. Shadow Robin and Robin will not meet for a while yet, but I can assure you that they will. The back stories will be told, but until then, enjoy chapter 3 and tell me what you think. My prereaders thought some parts of this funny, and I hope you do too.

Chapter 3 “Slade’s Return”

Bruce had been waiting for ten minutes, with no sign of Robin. There were, however, signs of press. Lots of press.

“Uh, Mr. Wayne?”

Bruce turned around. There in front of him stood a large metallic teen.

“Finally! I’ve been trying to get your attention for the last five minutes! Your old butler guy and the girl are already in the T car! And the girl’s tryin’ to soup it up!

“And you are?” Bruce asked.

“Sorry,” the teen replied. “The name’s Cyborg. Cy for short. Robin asked me to pick you up while he and the others get things ready.”

Bruce was surprised. As far as he was concerned, Robin wasn’t the leader type. He was far too hotheaded and stubborn, making every battle a personal one. He sighed, maybe he was just overprotective. After all, he hadn’t gotten himself killed yet. Maybe he wouldn’t even need the spare Batsuit in his suitcase.

Shaking his head, he followed Cyborg to the T-Car. Getting in, he was immediately set upon by Barbara, who was asking if he knew their destination.

“I wonder if it’s the giant T?” she asked dreamily. Being Batgirl meant a secret lair. An out and about hero might mean a high tech HQ out in the open. And besides, she could not see Cyborg in some warehouse or cave. No, this was a serious video gamer.

Bruce’s voice cut into her thoughts. “It had better not be the giant T.” To Alfred and Barbara, he whispered: “Far too exposed. Villains would be crawling all over the place.”

BEEP BEEP BEEP! Cyborg raised his arm in front of him. He appeared to listen to it, and then lowered it, turning to face his passengers. “Sorry, Y’all, but trouble’s brewin’. And as a Titan, I gotta help. Still, you got a front row seat for the butt whoopin’. Just get my baby outta the way if it gets shot at.” Grinning, he headed for the crime scene. When they arrived, Cyborg jumped out of the car and ran to join his teammates. Barbara eagerly looked out the window at the assembled bunch.

There was Robin, of course. On his left, was a very pretty girl with orange skin and red dots for eyebrows. She definitely didn’t look like a human, what with her glowing green eyes and palms to match at the ready.

To Robin’s right was a second girl, this one with gray skin and a dark look about her. Just seeing this girl reminded her of her mentor. The girl was sporting a blue cape and black unitard. Her palms glowed with black energy. She would most definitely scare even the most resolute Gotham criminal, in a dark alley.

Taking the left end, beside the orange girl was Cyborg. His sonic cannon fully extended, he looked ready to pack quite a punch. On the opposite side, was a boy. A bit shorter than Robin, he wore a Doom Patrol uniform. She instantly called his name to mind. It was Beast Boy, the changeling who could assume any animal form, living or extinct. She had heard he had left the Doom Patrol, but didn’t know where he had gone.

Robin extended his Bo staff, raising it slightly. “Come out of there, or we come in!

A chilling voice filled the air. “Why, Robin. Why don’t you come in, you don’t know how much I have missed fighting you. You are much weaker than some of the fools I have been fighting of late. Besides, it is so humiliating to be chased by a petty thief.”

A figure stepped out of the smoke. For a moment, Barbara thought she was seeing the ghost of Two Face. Then, she realized that the figure actually had a physique far more similar to her mentor than that of Two Face.

Robin’s eyes narrowed. “Slade.” he said.

“Come now, Robin, are you just going to stand there gaping? Or are you going to attack?” Slade said. “It will be much easier to fight you.”

Robin’s eyes narrowed even more. With a yell, he sprang into the air, spinning his Bo staff as if it were a top. Barbara couldn’t help but grin. It had been so long since she saw him in action, she had almost forgotten how good he was.

“He’s still as hotheaded as when Freeze cooled him down.” Bruce stated blatantly. Barbara gave a snort, and turned back to the battle.

Slade leapt up. Raising his hands, he caught Robin’s Bo in both hands, and swung it, sending Robin catapulting into the side of a building. The orange girl leapt into the air. She hurled the light from her hands, and it caused a miniature explosion wherever it hit an object. Slade, however, dodged it easily, hitting the orange girl in the stomach. An elephant’s trumpet caused him to turn, and he leapt out of the way in time to both avoid getting hit, and plant a foot in the gray girl’s gullet. Cyborg was ready, and threw a sonic pulse at Slade. Ducking, Slade laughed.

“It truly has been a pleasure, Titans, but I really must get going. I am rather busy, and have things to do. Besides, our little battle will give you something to think about. And give my regards to your guests. At these words, he turned, and made eye contact with Barbara. His look plainly said “I will be watching you. And you cannot hide.” Breaking eye contact, he walked into the smoke the fight had made, and vanished from view.

Robin grunted. Turning, he got onto his motorbike, and headed off into the distance. Cyborg got into the car. “Sorry about that, y’all. When there’s trouble, y’know. He shrugged. “Now come on, we gotta get where we’re going before BB does, or he’ll have you on a tofu and tapioca diet.”

Starting the engine, the teen drove off. Barbara turned to look at Bruce. He had fallen asleep in the car. Sighing, she looked around. They were on the island with the T.

Alfred looked around. “Master Bruce won’t be too pleased.” he stated.

Raven was mad. And that wasn’t a good thing when you’re an empathetic telekinetic. But she couldn’t help it. Barbara was as mysterious as Robin, as funloving as BB, and as techno as Cyborg. It didn’t help matters that she and Robin spent most of the day training. She sighed. It was a good thing that she was only here for the weekend. Barbara was staying in Rae’s room, which meant…

“Come friend, let us go to the mall of shopping, and decorate each other’s hair with bizarre ornaments, once you have finished your meditation.” Star’s voice drifted to her as if from a great distance, when in reality, Star was yelling in her ear.

“Not now Starfire, I have to concentrate.” Raven replied, opening her eyes. “Now please, leave me alone.” She closed them again. A deep black void, lit with stars opened itself in front of her. A small stone formed beneath her feet. “Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos,” she chanted, over and over again. She did her best to concentrate on her words, and not on Barbara, but merely thinking about her in trying to remind herself not to think about her caused Raven to lose her temper. A distant yell told her that the outburst had caused Beast Boy’s Tofu eggs to become plastered on Cyborg’s face, and bacon to fly from the frying pan down her green friend’s throat. A door slamming a few seconds later informed the half meditating titan that the changeling had run for the bathroom rapidly.

Slade was rapidly getting annoyed with Yin and Yan. The two may have meant well, but if their plan was to work, he could have no interruptions. And the concept of signage was not something that the two got easily. It was very hard to build a droid from scratch, especially when it couldn’t be mass produced. Building a leg was hard enough, especially when it was built from spare parts. The titans were likely not going to take this robot seriously. But there was an advantage to building a robot from scratch. He was able to include all sorts of special features, even if it could be destroyed in a single movement. But still, he had the advantage, as long as…

Crash! Yin and Yan’s blundering knocked over his hard work. “You fool! That mistake will set me back at least three weeks, and if we want to destroy the Teen Titans, we needed that robot!”

“Sorry.” he replied. Slade shook his head. At least now he didn’t have to be on the lookout for petty thieves or that masked menace. Still, he had regained some of his lost glory in that battle. He might not have been on top, but he was higher than the thief who had chased him earlier. He sighed, and finished reconstructing the ankle of his droid. He reviewed the plan of attack, and continued building the bot.

20. TorchLighter

TorchLighter two sides, same coin

how batmannish of Bruce...
    oh wait...dang!

very in character for Bruce