1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The WiiWare Games Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Virtual Console is taking a break the upcoming week to support the release of the WiiWare games on May 12th.

From vc-reviews.com

This thread will also be used to talk about the released games. Discuss.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Interesting...I may try LostWinds and the Final Fantasy simulation.

3. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I love a good platformer. If anyone here picks up LostWinds, please let me know what you think.

4. Harlan_Phoenix

Harlan_Phoenix Active Member

LostWinds and the Final Fantasy game sound intensely awesome.

5. Draft

Draft Active Member

When does the Homestar Runner game come out?

Kind of suprised the Dr.Mario game is not listed

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

They're holding back some of the ones I'm really eager for. But Lost Winds and Final Fantasy look good.

#6 Desensitized, May 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  7. TKnHappyNess

TKnHappyNess Active Member

Where's Dr. Mario? I want it more than these ones.

8. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Aww, no Bomberman game...

9. Vidfreak

Vidfreak Member

I probably won't be able to enjoy most of these games until Nintendo comes up with a storage solution for the Wii. I only have 200 blocks left in memory.

10. Tanooki

Tanooki Supplexing disease since 1982.

count me in for lost winds. i would get final fantasy, but i want a lengthy game from them. this one just screams shortness

11. Draft

Draft Active Member

You can get a 2GB SD card for $20 somewhere

12. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Surprised at the lack of Dr. Mario. I was planning on making that my first WiiWare purchase.

13. Vidfreak

Vidfreak Member

You can't run the games off the SD card though and transferring a game like Sin and Punishment to an SD card takes forever. Also some Wii games don't allow you to back up saves like Brawl which takes around 150 blocks.

14. peacebyanymeans

peacebyanymeans HORRIBLE FOR EVERYONE

Edit: Oh wait, today is the 12th. I thought it was the 11th. Guess it was suppose to come out today...

Nevermind then...

#14 peacebyanymeans, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  15. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

No Dr. Mario?? This WiiWare launch blows.

16. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Some time in June.

I'll definitely be checking out the WiiWare channel tonight, but I too am wondering what they plan to do about space requirements. It's a pretty key issue in getting this to work as well as 360's Live Arcade, and we're all still waiting to hear their solution... Hopefully their solution isn't something stupid like "We have a different customer base in mind for WiiWare than Microsoft does with Live Arcade, and we estimate that the average casual gamer won't download more than 5 games at a time, blah blah blah Wiiiiiiiiii!"

17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

For the record, LostWinds is 259 blocks in size. Those who want to download it might want to clear up some space in their Wiis.

I downloaded LostWinds and played until the first save spot. The first part is the typical "How to Play" chapter with a stage designed for you to master Toku's moves. It uses the Wiimote + Nunchuk combo, and Toku's special moves require some clever use of the motion sensor controls.

The graphics are rather Gamecube-ish, but the art is beautiful (sort of like a less stylized Wind Waker). The music is mostly environmental, it's nowhere near a masterpiece but it doesn't bother you either. It fits.

Everything I've played so far is 2D platforming. Dunno if it'll change later on, but the general gameplay seems to go like that.

You get 3 Save Files. I don't think there are any WiFi elements in the game.

The game starts off a little slow and the beginning is mostly exposition, but it grows on you. Recommended.

18. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

So how many blocks is Final Fantasy anyways? Not one person has mentioned its size yet and I won't be able to check my Wii till much later.

19. EnigmaticWarrior

According to this blog post from GoNintendo, it's 287 blocks. 'Hope that helps. ^^

20. Demonic Raven

Demonic Raven Active Member

My Life As King- Unique....which is not something I ever thought I would be saying about any given FF game! Other than building, most of the game revolves around your adventurers...the ones you can't directly control or anything. It's definitely a dark horse among Final Fantasy games, but it's still fun albeit in a different way. If you get it, I hope you like managing stuff, because it's about all you do.

I still can't get completely behind the "Pay to Play" stuff. It costs a minimum of 800 Wii points to unlock the other three races: you start with Clavats and can get Lilties, Selkies, and Yukes. You also have to pay to unlock more dungeons, and certain types of buildings. Kind of sucks...

Lost Winds- Excellent. Think Okami and Wind Waker, but simpler and with a completely unique way of controlling your character. Toku doesn't do very much on his own, so you have to use the Wii pointer as the wind to help him along. What you can do is quite fun: throw Toku around, make use of fire and water, and of course solve puzzles.

I'm still in the beginning portions of the game, but I'm glad to say there appears to be plenty of adventure here to sink your teeth into. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a fresh and original platformer.

Side note: These things take a whole lot of blocks, at least as much as an N64 game. I've officially had to start [strike]cleaning out my fridge[/strike] deleting certain things off of my Wii. We still don't have an alternate means of doing things, and it's only going to get worse as more and more WiiWare games come out. *sigh*...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.