1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wii Virtual Console Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tanooki, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

That's probably the exact reason why. No reason to have two separate games on two separate systems when they can have them on the same one.

2. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I remember video game magazines giving Earthworm Jim for the Genesis higher ratings than the SNES version, all because of the extra level. Especially GamePro, who gave it all fives in all four aspects. They rated the sequel on the Genesis higher also. I don't know what the Genesis version had going for it compared to the SNES version though.

3. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

I had a bit of a Q & A with Vic Ireland on the Sunsoft boards about the handling of the Nihon Telenet catalog and this is what he's given me so far:

Audio Languages:
    ------------------

Q:
    A:
    Game Content:
    ----------------

Q:
    A:
    Anything else you guys want me to ask Vic? I'll be sure to let him know.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Haha. Besides the obvious, that's a PC-only game, isn't it? If so, that isn't coming to VC anytime soon anyway.

Anyway, I hope to see Valis: The Fantasm Soldier on VC at some point. It looks like fun.

5. Dark Fact

I really don't see the point in bringing that game over anyway considering that:

A: It has nothing to do with the main series' storyline
    B: Everyone is OOC for the sake of cheap sexual entertainment and
    C: It's not even an action-adventure game.

Even the fanbase for Valis admit that Valis X is a sacriligious piece of crap that goes against everything that made the games great in the first place. It's for the best if it doesn't get brought over here because it paints the original Valis games in a bad light.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Can you please ask him about the Sunsoft licenses and if there's any way we can get those games?

Also about Gimmick!, if he were to bring that to the VC, would there be a better chance of getting the Japanese version without the messed up music? (The UK version's music was really fudged up due to missing a chip or something) Since it's all in english anyway.

Can we get WayForward working on a Blaster Master sequel or an Earnest Evans remake yet? :p

I've been playing Blaster Master on the VC and damn, it's aged so well.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Sega forced censorship on third-party games just like Nintendo did? Suddenly, one aspect of the console wars just became a lot less black-and-white.

8. Dark Fact

What do you mean? Do you want me to ask what titles they have as part of the relaunch?
    I'll be sure to let him know.
    I'm 100% sure that we won't be seeing something like that, even if you are joking.
    Agreed, the game is just right in terms of graphics, controls, difficulty, and music. Plus, the added save state feature is a welcome relief for those who need to break from the game. :)

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

No, I mean licensed properties like Gremlins 2 or Batman. If there was a way to get the games out on VC without much of a hassle. (Probably not, though)

Yeah, just a pipe dream.

Thanks for the help! I'd sign up, but I simply don't have the e-mail required to register.

10. Dark Fact

Vic isn't commenting on the movie license games at this time. He's just telling us to "wait and see". After all, the Sunsoft brand just got relaunched. It's way too early to determine if the Hollywood license can be cleared up for any of the games.
    Use either a work e-mail address or an e-mail address provided to you by your ISP. Sunsoft is only preventing people with free e-mail accounts from registering for obvious reasons.

11. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

@Dark Fact:

Will you still buy the games even if what you propose doesn't happen and they end up being unchanged ports of the original released versions (just like all the other VC releases)? And even if they were closer to the original Japanese versions (i.e., with retranslated dialogue, etc), how much more would you potentially be willing to pay (i.e., beyond the usual 600 and 800 Nintendo Points for a TG-16 and TG-CD respectively)? Let's say one of the Cosmic Fantasy games came to the VC. In fact, let's say it was the very first one (which never came to the U.S.), and it had English dialogue (and even voices), and thus was sold as an "import" title. Would you be willing to pay, say, 1000 points for it? At the least?

I've said this before, but we shouldn't expect/assume anything. If these games do end up being truer to the Japanese versions, then that's what will happen; we'll know once they've been added to the service. However, we really need to assume that they will be unchanged ports, especially the ones that had "objectionable content" in the original Japanese versions. Yes, we have game ratings now (and we even have at least one M-rated VC game [Splatterhouse]), but that doesn't mean the VC versions won't be censored. In short, I think we should just wait for the games to actually be released if/when the time comes; like the song says, "whatever will be, will be".

12. Dark Fact

Due to the incredible rarity of the entire Turbo CD catalog, I will be blatantly honest and pay whatever price for the games because I'm just that big of a fan. The more casual crowd, however, would have a problem if the games end up being over 1000 and not provide an experience that makes it worth the big price amount. Let's also not forget that the majority of these games were made from the early to mid-90's so today's gamer may scoff at the dated pixelated anime videos and gameplay.

But then again, it's not like Victor Ireland to release these games for the casual crowd anyway. I'm sure he's aware that the Nihon Telenet catalog is aimed at the hardcore cult audience just like all his other titles were aimed at when his company was still known as Working Designs.

I'll be sure to ask Vic about the point pricing for the games. So far, Blaster Master at 500 is a sweet start and I only hope to see these get sweeter.
    Which is why I've decided to ask Vic about the games content wise and what we could expect to see when they do officially become available on the Virtual Console. He gave me his response. Now, all we can do is wait and see until developments arise. If the games wind up censored, I'll be heavily disappointed but until something is finalized, I will continue to keep my fingers crossed.

13. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

So stealing a page from Nintendo Life's forums, what are the top 10 games you to see on each console (or the ones you care about) barring obvious things like Earthbound or licensed games?

NES

1. Contra

The best shooter ever made, and is for some reason not on the VC. Why? This doesn't make any sense, maybe Konami is resentful of themselves when they were a good company? Get with the program, guys. This NEEDS to be on the VC.

2. Gimmick! (The Japanese version with the fantastic music intact)

There's no text, so there's no reason this version couldn't be used. The Japanese version uses a special chip and has some of the best music ever in an NES game. It's also a damn fun platformer.

3. The Guardian Legend

Self explanatory, isn't it? Part shooter, part Zelda, all original, and all awesome. This is one of the best games ever, and one of the few overhead shooters that doesn't drive me crazy.

4. Journey To Silius

You think Contra is hard? You have a health bar in this and it's still more challenging than Contra. A fantastic platforming shooter with probably the best music on the NES? Yes please!

5. Little Samson

Speaking of underrated games, this is probably the best NES platformer next to SMB3. Swap between 4 different character Mega Man style, cling to walls and ceilings, fly as a dragon, and bomb things Metroid style as a mouse. Impossible to find on cartridge, this is the best chance for this game to shine.

6. Double Dragon II: The Revenge

Come ON, guys. You just put out DD1 so we KNOW you have this too. What's regularly considered one of the best beat em ups ever, it makes no sense as to why this isn't available yet.

7. Gun NAC

Speaking of overhead shooters I can stomach, this is probably the best one I've ever played. So much to do, see, and shoot, it rarely gets better than this.

8. Ufouria

The guys who made Blaster Master made this Metroid style game. Do I even need to say anything else?

9. Rockin' Kats

A platformer that out-Bionic Commando's the original with it's swing mechanics. This is just a tight and top tier platformer. Atlus owns this, so there's no excuse for this not showing up yet.

10. Crystalis

Again, self-explanatory.

SNES

1. Terranigma

Probably the best action RPG on the SNES. It was released in PAL land, but never here. Since it's already available in English, there's no excuse for this not to be here. We have ActRaiser, so let's get the other games from the developer already. I wish Square-Enix would stop dragging their feet here.

2. Mega Man X

It's only the best Mega Man and action platformer ever. Let's go, Capcom.

3. Yoshi's Island

Self-explanatory.

4. Mega Man X2

The sequel to X is almost as good but still a bit more rare. If you get the first game, there's little excuse to not get the second.

5. Demon's Crest

Holy crap, this game is great! Totally unknown except by hardcore Capcom fans, it almost rivals Super Metroid in atmosphere, graphics, and control.

6. Illusion of Gaia

Another Quintet (ActRaiser, Terranigma) game. These guys were the kings of action RPGs in the SNES era. We need their catalog ASAP.

7. Soul Blazer

See Illusion of Gaia.

8. Mega Man X3

The finale of the X SNES trilogy is probably the rarest of the three and the most underrated. Not quite to the level of the first two, but has a bit more variety and depth than you'd expect from a Mega Man game. We need the trilogy available on the VC, already.

9. Super Double Dragon

Again, like DD2, we need more Double Dragon on here!

10. Sunset Riders

Since we'll probably never get the arcade game, this is probably as close as we'll get.

Genesis

1. Rocket Knight Adventures

One of the best games Konami ever made, I think we'll see this during 2010 since the new game is coming to WiiWare. And it's about freaking time.

2. Ranger X

Apparently made by the remnants of Wolf Team (Nihon Telenet), this highly original game needs a second shot at life. Come on, Sega. Stop milking Sonic and give this one a shot on the VC.

3. Crusader Of Centy

A Zelda style game, this is quite great, even if not highly original.

4. Contra: Hard Corps

Sigh, another Konami game, another game that should be on the VC. Probably one of the best Contra games (I like it better than 3, anyway), there is no excuse for Konami being so lazy with this series on the VC.

5. Castlevania Bloodlines

Pretty much take what I said about Hard Corps and repeat it here, more or less.

6. El Viento

Which is now very possible!

7. Mutant League Football

I don't really like sports games, but this series always held my attention. I miss this franchise.

8. Mutant League Hockey

Ditto.

9. Exile

Again, now it's very possible! It's a bit hard for my tastes, but quite a great game.

10. Blaster Master 2

More for completions' sake. It's nowhere near as good as BM1, but it's something I think should eventually appear on here.

I honestly can't think of ten N64 games left that I'd want, but I know there are a few. The Sunsoft deal leaves me very hopeful for the future of TG16 games, too.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

^ So top ten most wanted, and they don't have to be from Sunsoft? Well not like Nintendo's going to read this list, but here's what I want:

1) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: Really shocking that it isn't on VC yet. Probably my most anticipated game.

2) Final Fight 3: This one's a given, since Japan got it, but I'm still listing it anyway.

3) Double Dragon 2: The Revenge (NES version): Way better than the first game, and still fun to play through. Needs a VC release in the worst way.

4) Super Mario All-Stars: C'mon, Nintendo, it's been two years since the last classic SMB platformer release. Throw us a bone! Even if it were a bit more than 800 points, I'd buy it.

5) Plok: An underrated platforming gem.

6) Adventure Island 2 and 3: I decided to count these as one entry, even though they're two games. It only seems natural that this series would eventually continue, seeing as how we already got the first game on VC.

7) Stunt Race FX: I would love to play this Super FX racer on a TV again.

8) Spanky's Quest: There are a couple Natsume titles on VC. What's the hold up?

9) TMNT 3: Manhattan Project: II: The Arcade Game would be nice, too, but this one especially, being the best of the NES trilogy and all. I would pay an extra 100 points for it, too.

10) Uniracers: Unique racing game with a rockin' soundtrack. Unless DMA Design (aka Rockstar Games) doesn't want to play ball, I don't see why this couldn't (and shouldn't) get a VC release.

Anyway, speaking of recent purchases, I've already played through Earthworm Jim 2. The game is still pretty fun with plenty of variety to keep things fresh, though I had forgotten how much I hate those Puppy Love stages. They just take FOREVER, and it would be one thing if they were bonus games designed to give you extra lives, but no, it's a required, recurring level that you can die on.

And Rolling Thunder 2 is great, but man is it hard. Then again, the original arcade game was pretty hard, too. It's one of those games where you have to have fast reflexes and know which enemies will appear, requiring playing the level quite a few times.

15. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Sure, it's not like Sunsoft is the only company that matters here. :p

You know, I'm really surprised these haven't come out yet. AI1 is still apparently a top seller on the VC, so it would make sense to bring out the even better sequels.

A release of 4 would be a nice touch too.

The SNES had some great Monkey based platformers. Congo's Caper is another really good one, too.

I thought there was some kind of lawsuit involved with Pixar on this one? Correct me if I'm wrong. That might be the reason for the delay.

I still need to get into the Rolling Thunder games. I don't know which is the best though, I always see people praising all 3 rather highly.

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Wow, it just occurred to me that this thread is waaaaaaaaay longer than the last three. Hope the VG mods don't mind, but I should probably close this down. Discussion resumes in Part 5...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.