1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wii Virtual Console Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tanooki, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

The Nihon Telenet catalog is a freaking GOLD MINE for 16-bit CD gaming! The Cosmic Fantasy series, the Valis series, Exile, Cotton, Necromancer! They're all here!!!

2. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

This is probably the best news for gamers in a while. Sunsoft's classic games, GaijinWorks getting a hold of classic Nihon Telenet games (Working Designs territory!) and the partnership between them.

This will lead to a lot of quality, of this I am sure.

3. Dark Fact

I only hope that when the games do get uploaded, that they remain in their original uncensored form. Hopefully Vic will convince Nintendo to release these games on the VC with an "M" ESRB rating as some of them do contain some fan service.

That, and the games get new English dubbing considering that the old dubs were absolutely deplorable.

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I hope this leads to more imported games for the VC. That was always one of the things I love about the VC, and that's giving us a chance to try games we haven't before.

Especially more Japanese TG-16 CD games. SOOOOO many games I want to play from there. (... Yes, including Double Dragon 2. I will not give up on my dream to play that!)

I hope this is simply the start of a nice trend. (A really great start, but a start nonetheless)

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Oh, just found this!

Apparently, Blaster Master on the 14th. Vic hinted at some kind of bonus for beating the game... Hmmm.

Well, anyway. Point card purchase confirmed.

6. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Sweet, if SSB comes out that day as well, I'll have to go out and buy a point card on that day as well.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Regarding the game "Cotton", that one wouldn't be included since that was a third-party creation to begin with; Nihon Telenet merely published the early console ports (it was originally an arcade game). It was developed by a company called Success, so that would requie a deal with them. This is also why Time Gal (laserdisc arcade game by Taito released for Sega CD in the U.S.) isn't part of the deal (since that would requie a deal with Taito).

8. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Vic is taking suggestions for games to release on the VC on the new Sunsoft forums, though it seems a lot of good stuff has already been mentioned.

9. Dark Fact

I registered on those forums. I'm gonna be asking Vic plenty of stuff about this deal. Any news, I'll copy and paste here unless Vic doesn't want me to.
    Vic seems to be assuring us that he's going at this deal with all 8 cylinders. I wouldn't put it past him to strike up a deal with the other developers in getting Cotton and other third-party games up. The fact that Vic is even doing this for us at all really shows that he believes in this catalog and the cult gamers who enjoyed seeing quality games mixed in with anime that was still regarded as "japanimation" back in the heyday. I'm absolutely grateful for this!

10. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

Should be a good day for some fans out there...

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yay! Earthworm Jim 2! I'll be picking that up for sure. Though I wish it had been the SNES version, which had the better music. That's nitpicking, though.

12. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Great week for the VC. I just got my last point card for the year and with it I'll get (when they're all out):

Blaster Master (500)
    Alex Kidd In Shinobi World (500)
    Smash Bros. (1000)

Seems like a solid bunch.

13. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I figured Blaster Master might come out today. I might just get that.

14. BigLouMan20

BigLouMan20 Dancin' away my worries

After being disappointed with the Genesis version of Earthworm Jim, I will pass on the sequal. I've heard good things about Blaster Master.

15. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I'm up to Area 6 in Blaster Master. This is the first time I've really stuck with it past Area 2, and it manages to get even better.

I fought the legendary tough crab boss for the first time ever and took him down. As long as you have an upgraded gun with range and move like mad, you can take him soon enough.

Man, this game is fantastic.

16. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Make sure you do that with the two bosses in area 8 also.

Also, I bet you couldn't wait to try that grenade trick again on the bosses of areas 2, 4, 6, and 7. :)

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

lol. I used it on the frog boss, but I probably shouldn't have. It cost me hits, and I probably could have easily taken him out without it.

As for 6 and 7... Well, let's see how tough they are, first. ;)

18. Dark Fact

Blaster Master is definitely a great game to play if you're fond of the old Metroidvania type games with a little bit of Guardian Legend thrown in for good measure. ;)

It's definitely worth the purchase. BTW, the music is a blast to listen to, especially area 7's theme! :)

19. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Why the Genesis version? I mean, not to nitpick, but seriously. Why? With EWJ1 it made sense, since the Genesis version had an extra level, but I don't think the Genesis version of EWJ2 has anything extra. Or does it?

Anyway, it's a good week, but I'll pass. I have Blaster Master for the NES already and that stupid bomb stage in EWJ2 ruined the game for me as a kid.

20. SuperPhillip

SuperPhillip Resident Superhero

If it was the first game on Genesis, why not do the second game on Genesis, too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.