1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wii Virtual Console Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tanooki, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanooki

Tanooki Supplexing disease since 1982.

part 4 of the epic virtual console thread. part 3 can be found here. for those of you just tuning in, super mario rpg was just released making millions of fans happy and giving nintendo some much unneeded profit. clu clu land was also released

2. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Yes! Definitely one of their most demanded games. I haven't played it in far too long, but maybe in honour of this news, I'll start it again soon.

edit: woo, first reply

3. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Yes! It's about time Super Mario RPG was released on VC! Now if only they could add Yoshi's Island...

4. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

4th VC thread already. This is getting insane. :p

Anyway, yay for Super Mario RPG...and stuff. :)

5. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

With Super Mario RPG finally available, I now have a reason to buy a Nintendo Wii. Thank you, Nintendo.

Any predictions for Virtual Console game #300?

6. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I'm going to make many people angry by saying this but.. I think Earthbound or Mother might be the 300th game.

7. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Mega Man 2? That's a very famous NES game, and it's supposed to be released on the VC before MM9.

8. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

I like the idea of Mega Man 2. I would buy it just to play it on Normal (AKA the version I always played).

In the end, Mario RPG was the only game I wanted on VC. They could release Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde and I would still be happy with the current lineup (I see 41 games I would like to download, not including titles I own/never heard of). But I wouldn't mind seeing titles like Final Fight 2, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Mario Kart, Illusion of Gaia, and Turtles in Time in the future. And I never played Earthbound so I'm not in a hurry to see it.

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I think (hope) they're saving Yoshi's Island or Majora's Mask for the 300th game. Earthbound isn't big enough to make the 300th game.

10. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

Nothing special probably. I don't recall a celebration for game #200, so I suspect we won't get another special prize until game #500. Let's hope they don't purposely hold something back that long just so they have something special, as we won't get game #500 for two and a half years at their current pace. Plus, with the dwindling number of first party NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis games, they are running out of games to publish.

Which is exactly why it wouldn't be #300, a number we won't reach until sometime early next year. I predict Mega Man 2 will be more like #254.

Be careful who you say that to. I think it's the best RPG ever made, and I'm no where near as into it as some crazed fans. NoA reportedly got 2,000 calls over the weekend from an organized group calling for it to be released on VC; that's how into it they are.

11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Well, I know about the whole community and whatnot, but I just don't think it would sell more than a Zelda or Mario/Yoshi title. Earthbound is one of my favorite games too, just check out my avatar.

Since it was rated within the last few months, it'll probably show up before the 300th game. Or maybe after.

I just wonder if they'll consider Mother, as it was completely translated but never released before.

12. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Well 300 isn't that long of a wait if they go back to releasing 3 games a week but even at 2 games a week that's not that much longer to wait for Earthbound.

At any rate... SMRPG is mine at last.

13. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Would Nintendo still have the code to the localization? I know the prototype cart was sold on eBay years ago, but if they could retrieve the code, then they could put it on the VC.

14. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

It's unlikely Nintendo would just trash all their localization work. Plus, there was surely more than one prototype cartridge. Even if all is lost, the fully translated version is easy to find (illegally) online for those looking for it. As the copyright holder, Nintendo could just download it legally. They'd probably have to strip out the text files and put them in a fresh copy from Japan (I've heard the rom dump is glitchy - one of the reasons I've never pursued it), but that's well worth the effort considering the possible sales and that's worst case scenario...

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wow, I'll have to download Super Mario RPG. Is Clu Clu land any good?

16. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Just got SMRPG. Tried to get that secret chest at the beginning and failed.

Then I died at the crocodile boss and was sent back to the start of the game. Is he supposed to be able to kill me in two turns? (I've fought every enemy on the way to him, so I haven't been ignoring leveling up.)

17. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Eh it has its moments and its puzzle nature is unique, but its for the majority part a shallow game to some extent that isn't worth the 500 points of purchase. If ye have Animal Crossing on the GC you're better off trying to find it there and play it as such.

18. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

:eek:

The battle's a bit difficult, but TWO turns? What level were you at? :confused:

19. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Thanks. I usually ignore the defense option in rpgs.:sweat:

Level... 2... 3? I dunno, lol. I might have exaggerated a little, but I still lost embarassingly quick.

20. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Darn it, right after I download Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles:My Life as King, SMRPG gets released a day later. >.<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.