1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weird/Interesting News Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by tucsoncoyote, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

Alright since we are at a new year (2009),and this year we have 365 (now 364) Chances to come up with Weird and interesting stories, and since the last thread went almost the full 25 pages it's time to do it all over again!

So without further ado, it's time to roll out:

The 2009 Weird/Interesting News Stories thread..

(And believe me there are a lot of weird and interesting stories out there).

This thread is for those interesting and Weird stories that come across the News wires, and sometimes are weird alright.. (I mean who can forget a dog shoplifting a bone? or for that matter, the guy who ate a 500 pound burger..)

But if it's on the news Wire, then it's news.. and let's start off this year with a few stories right off the top:

Man Charged with Driving under the Influence...On a Zamboni.
    Ah winter sports, you know that every time I see a hockey game you think of that great machine, known as a Zamboni.
    But what happens when a 22 year old guy tries to drive one of these things drunk? Well it gets you a DUI Charge that's what! After all is a Zamboni a moving vehicle?

and speaking of Moving vehicles, if you thought Drunk Driving a Zamboni was bad.. Here's a snowplow Operator who lost his job when he drove a $200,000 Snow plow into a Minnesota River! Well maybe he thought it was "A Yellow Submarine!"

And then there's this thief, who amazingly is still at large after stealing $625 worth of lobster and beef cuts. At least he has good taste in Seafood and Sirloin.. Surf and Turf anyone?

and while one guy steals $625 worth of Steak and Lobster, another guy with $70 bucks on him chooses jail for stealing a $1.57 soda!

But lets see what you got.. Throw up those Interesting and Weird Stories you have right here, for 2009. And if there's an Interesting or Weird News Story, it's time to put it here.. After all, It's 2009, the year of the Hybrid, and before it's over.. it's the news of the weird!

so have at it and put up those weird and interesting stories right here!

:coyote:

2. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

3. tucsoncoyote

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

5. tucsoncoyote

Good question.. Either they have a bunch of about 2 dozen kleptos running around stealing recliners or some big burly dude by the name of "Big Hoss" Snuck them in.:p

Then there's this one about a story about how thousands of pairs of used shoes ended up in all places.. a freeway in Miami.. Talk about a real walkathon. Clean up in the fast lane!

and here's a coincidence. How about having a twin brother born on a different date in a different year. Seems that Tarrance Griffin was born on December 31st, 2008, at 11:51 pm while his brother Tariq Griffin was born at 12:17 am.. January 1st, 2009.. Mom, Dad, you got double duty those two days. (I can see them trying to convince one or the other to switch to either New Year's Day or New Year's Eve. and just think.. next December 31, 2009, Tarrance will be 1 and just 26 minutes later his brother will be... Now my head is about to explode on that one!

6. Patchwork

Patchwork There is a spider in your bed!

6 year old crashes trying to drive to school
    I realy can;t help but wonder what made him want to go to school that badly. Was there dodgeball in PE? Did he not get breakfast at home, and needed to get to school to eat?

7. tucsoncoyote

What's a 6 year old doing with a rated M for Mature Game?

Nah, it was because he knew how to drive so well with Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam. But still why would the parents buy a rated M game for a 6 year old (Namely GTA)? Anyone want to see the logic behind that?

But then in this next story there's no logic either as a man may face up to 377 years in prison for sawing down a neighbor's door with a chainsaw in a way to threaten his neighbor. Seems this is what happens when you tick off the wrong kind of neighbor who's wielding power tools. And what was the guy's motive for doing that? Because a friend of the neighbor who he attacked parked his car in front of the attacker's house.

Shows that if you are going to tick off the wrong guy, it's best not to do it with someone who has a chain saw.

#7 tucsoncoyote, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  8. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

Kids with Nazi Names Taken Away From Their Home

http://news.aol.com/article/kids-with-nazi-names-taken-from-home/306100

What exactly were the parents thinking when they gave their kids Nazi names? :sweat: Naming you son Adolf Hitler is just asking for trouble. I remember reading a previous Baby Name internet article, that name is banned in Germany for obvious reasons.

Though I'm not sure if having a Nazi name is a good enough reason to take the kids away from the family unless they were living in an unsafe environment.

Some parents should think really hard on naming their kids since their names will stick with them until they are able to change their names legally.

9. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

This came about because the family was in the press for the birthday cake. Somebody probably threw a fit and pressured child services to investigate and look for something. I'm waiting for the charges to be released.

10. Rook

Rook On the high edge of freedom

Interesting things always happen when im asleep

super bump!

Luck of the draw anyone?

Though I cant imagine anyone not getting out of this without some form of head cold.

Also, good to know that nature still rules us.

11. tucsoncoyote

The Only deaths were birds No Planes were harmed in this accident

Well this is a rather interesting story as we had a number of things go right after the inital thing went wrong.

Namely the thing that went wrong was in fact what the pilot calls "A double bird strike" Where at least 1 if not 2 birds got sucked into at least 1 (if not both jet engines of the aircraft in question, namely an Airbus Industries A320.

Now here's the interesting thing. The Captain of the flight was an expert aviator, and had racked up countless hours in the cockpit, plus he was an Air Force aviator initally who flew F4 Phantoms during the Vietnam war.

That plus he had one extra bit of experience. Namely he was a glider pilot when he wasn't flying for US Airways.

Then you gotta also look at the A320 itself. This plane is perhaps one of US Air's best aircraft and has good flight characteristics. In fact in 2005 an Airbus 320 owned by Jet Blue suffered a landing gear malfunction and after burning off the fuel the plane was brought in and the worst damage was to the nose gear which had become locked in an awkward position.

So already you have a totally airworthy plane and an experience pilot.

But it's then where this guy put the plane down that really kicks the story up a notch. He put it in river right where river ferries usually cross.

So what was the worst injury in this accident? Nothing more than a broken foot and a number of cases of mild hypothermia.

But it shows what happens when everything goes right even on a bad day.

The only things that died were the two birds that did the damage.

But other than that? no lives lost, 1 minor injury, and no deaths..

Makes up for a Pretty good day after all

(And I'm still trying to figure out HOW "Sully" did it.)

So this is where expertise came in and literally took a tragedy and turned it into a so called miracle.

12. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

14. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

#14 defunctzombie, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  15. tucsoncoyote

Yes, he definitely has a face a mother could love. especially when the mother's face is full of taco meat.

But moving on to other things: Here's a story about a guy who was fixing up a home to live in Detroit when the city decided to come along and raze it to the ground!:eek:

I mean 30,000 bucks to fix up a property and the city comes along back in 2006 and demolishes his work. How cruel and unusual is that?

And then there is this favorite flavor of the month. Goose-icles! Apparently in Michigan it's been so cold that a goose had to be rescued by a bunch of Detroit Police Divers as it sat out on a frozen river.. Good thing it wasn't goose season or else that goose would have been cooked!

And Tampa Bay residents should be on the lookout for a poo-slinging monkey that is on the loose and on the lam from the local zoo there.
    At least the monkey isn't slinging hash or talking like Mojo Jojo.

16. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

MONKEY ON THE LAM! I wonder if this will make the show... :D

17. tucsoncoyote

From Hello Kitty for Moms to getting shot in a play to bad mail carriers!

File it under 'stupid yet interesting pet tricks'. A poo pitching monkey.

Moving on to other news.. Here's one.. Hello Kitty is in a maternity hospital in Taiwan. Not having babies but rather easing the anxiety of expectant moms.

Now if you ever do the play 'Of Mice and Men', don't play the character Lenny (who in the final scene gets killed by a bullet to the head). But in this Florida Senior citizen play 81 year old Fred Kellerman actually got shot during a dress rehersal of the play. Apparently the gun wasn't supposed to be loaded with real bullets either. But for Kellerman he's one lucky dude.

and for all those good postal workers who deliver the mail, there are a few bad apples in the group. It appears that a few mail carriers from North Dakota to North Carolina are in fact hoarding the mail (and hiding it too!) in places like Basements, storage units and even in their garages..

Shows just how far the post office has fallen.

18. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

19. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Kitten found inside bong

Associated Press

March 2, 2009

LINCOLN, NE -- A kitten is recovering after allegedly being stuffed in a bong while its owner smoked marijuana at the same time.

Lincoln investigators said that 20-year-old Acea Schomaker is accused of animal cruelty for the act.

The kitten -- 6-month-old Shadow -- is being treated at a Lincoln animal shelter.

Deputies said they witnessed the animal being trapped inside the homemade bong as it was being smoked.

"I have never seen anything like this before," Lancaster County Chief Deputy Bill Jarrett said.

The bong is made of Plexiglas and is about the size of shoebox.

"It was taped shut so the cat was exposed to large amounts of marijuana smoke," Jarrett said.

Schomaker was wanted on a warrant for possession of marijuana. Deputies found him in his home south of Lincoln.

They said he was smoking the bong when they arrived.

Shoemaker allegedly told deputies the kitten was high strung and needed to be put in the bong to keep it calm.

"The cat appeared to be very lethargic, somewhat in a sleeping state," Jarrett said.

Capital Humane Society officials said they have taken X-rays and done other tests to see if the kitten has any long-term affects from the alleged abuse.

"The individual stated he had done this several times," agent Bob Downey said.

The shelter workers said they are working with the sheriff's office and the county attorney to get custody of the animal so it can be put up for adoption.

"We'll find a home where it will not be subjected to this type of treatment anymore," Downey said.

Schomaker was cited for misdemeanor animal cruelty.

That charge could be upgraded to a felony if the kitten dies or has long-term effects from the alleged abuse.

A misdemeanor conviction could mean up to a year in jail time, a felony conviction would put Schomaker away for up to five years.
    http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstori...22&feedID=1198

20. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

This is just a reminder to everyone to make use of this thread with, well, weird and interesting news stories instead of making new threads for every single one. It helps keep the board from being cluttered. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.