1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weekend Box-Office Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Clown Prince, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but Finding Dory is your new highest grossing animated film of all time domestically snapping the record held by Shrek 2 for 12 years.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I get a feeling that somehow Incredibles 2 is still going to be below Finding Dory, unless of course if they go all out on this one.

3. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

The Legend of Tarzan is still doing well in the box office, where it looks like it can make back it's budget.

4. SparkleMan

"Star Trek Beyond" is projected for a $55 million opening, while "Ice Age: Collision Course" doesn't look so good.
    "Light's Out" is a whole different story.
    "The Secret Life of Pets" looks set for 3rd, "Ghostbusters" looks like 4th, and "Light's Out" looks set for 5th.

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Ice Age 5 opened to a minuscule $21 mil and was beaten by Pets in its third weekend. Yikes. This reminds me of what happened to Turbo when it opened against DM2. At least Turbo had the excuse of opening on a Wednesday.

6. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fox will probably just use the "global box office total" for this movie. Deadline says it has made $178.9 million outside North America. Still, considering the lower cuts studios get internationally, I feel they just can't shrug off the very weak domestic performance for Ice Age 5. That $21 million opening is about just over 4 times the opening of Ratchet & Clank for a CGI movie that is from a much more well-known animated movie series.

7. SparkleMan

I find it funny how a new and original horror movie can beat an entry in a very successful and long-running franchise on both Friday & Monday.

8. SparkleMan

The real questions this weekend are: Will Jason Bourne have a big opening? Will Bad Moms bomb?

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I heard that Bourne is aiming for a $60 million opening, which is good for that series.

10. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

Considering I've never heard of that, I'm guessing....perhaps.

11. SparkleMan

Now it's tracking for $55 million.

12. SparkleMan

Bad Moms did pretty well.

13. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The actual for Jason Bourne was $59.2 million, from Deadline, and Star Trek Beyond made it to $106.4 million total in its second weekend in North America.

Now, the talk all day has been about Suicide Squad, and its now "rotten" status at 36% after 58 reviews. For this weekend, some think there could be people who will actually watch it just to see if they are going to disagree with the critical opinion of the film. However, it is the second weekend drop that sounds like it could be a problem for Suicide Squad, if it is not a good movie.

#1613 Tommy Lawson, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  14. SparkleMan

Nine Lives has a 5.7/10 rating on IMDb, so that could help.

15. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I'd wait for Saturday's numbers. This one looks even less critic proof than BvS turned out to be in the end.

EDIT: Saturday drop was even bigger than BvS's. Now looking at 130-135.

#1616 Lord Dalek, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  17. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

$65 million opening for Thursday and Friday.

If it has the same drop like Batman v Superman had on Saturday and Sunday, it would get $132 million, but I think the drops will be bigger so I think it'll end around $110 million.

18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is right in that $132 million range . Currently, the latest Hollywood Reporter article has it estimated at $135.1 million, however, remember WB is trying to save face here, because some sites had a $145 to $150 million weekend estimate, and they don't want to give the impression right now the Sunday numbers will continue to lower the box office weekend number for Suicide Squad. The actual box office totals tomorrow will be very interesting to see what the drops and their percentages were for each day of the weekend.

19. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Yeah you have to remember that Deadpool initally at the end of it's Weekend was projected to get 135 million but wound up with 132... of course even before that the highest projections for Deadpool's opening weekend were in the 75 million range and it's budget was a third of the Suicide Squad with much better reviews. Since yeah if Suicide Squad is anything like BvS it may not even make 300 million despite this strong opener as though IMHO it is better then BvS and has more replay value, disfavorable review from critics and mixed word of mouth isn't helping it's case. And you can't even be like "well it will still dominate since there's no other major competition for awhile" when Batman v Superman didn't really have any until the Jungle Book and yet it still not only massively dropped but lost in only it's third weekend to The Boss. So despite the heaviest competition this month only being stuff like Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party, Kubo And The Two Srings... maybe Ben-Hur (which has "FLOP" written all over it honestly but it may pull slightly surprisingly a bit higher then expected numbers) I'm not expecting a Guardians of the Galaxy esque August Domination. And heck Guardians actually had solid competition two years back with TMNT and yet it still went on to make 330 million which at this point unless somehow this film has far more traction then BvS I can't see happening here.

20. sun

sun You stay, I go

Finding Dory is a wonderful movie..deserves what money it makes..but..Zootopia is a great movie. works so well in every way that it deserves to be called.."great"