1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weekend Box-Office Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Clown Prince, Feb 3, 2013.

1. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I'm turned between lone ranger and despicable me 2 next weekend
    they both look like good movies

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

What exactly is Warner's expectations for Man Of Steel, and are they even realistic? Is Man Of Steel's percentage drops every week since it's release really a big deal? Man Of Steel made Superman Returns' entire gross and then some in one week. Any and all box office expectations should have been met and surpassed on that merit alone.

3. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

Or maybe moviegoers are getting sick of all the darkness and depressing gloom in most of these DC movies.

4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Noted. For. Victory! In terms of a lot of things, this nation of moviegoers is depressed and angry enough at things going on IRL, as it is - I don't they wanted to see that in their movie, without some optimistic balance.

5. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Again, depends. Entirely appropriate for Batman, not so much for Superman. Then again, the Green Lantern movie wasn't dark and depressing, quite the opposite, it was colorful. It was just badly written and wasn't any good.

6. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

It made its money sure but what WB is proally looking at is that nobody has really gotten excited about MoS. It has the box office returns of a movie that nobody told anybody else to go see. Its marketing and promotion were great and everybody went to go see it in the first two weeks but unlike the Avengers, people arent telling other casual movie goers "hey you need to watch this movie." Avengers made the money it did because people went to go watch it three or four times. Clearly thats not happening here and if your WB executive, those are all telling signs. I mean just for comparisons sake..Iron man 3 made nearly 100 million more by its third week than MoS. Yikes.

#106 Tohya, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Good points. If you spend enough on marketing, you can almost buy an opening weekend. But after that word of mouth will either lift you up or drag you down, and it doesn't look like Man of Steel is getting good word of mouth.

The sad thing is that it barely matters if it does well or not. By becoming a giant commercial and having the most marketing tie-ins of any movie in history, a lot of them ending up right there on screen in product placement, Man of Steel had already made $170 million before it even opened. So, yeah, we can look forward to more of that with these tentpole movies. Feature-length commercials.

Warner Bros.' 'Man of Steel' Nabs $170 Million in Promotional Dollars - The Hollywood Reporter

8. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

MOS's word of mouth has been fine. Internet message boards are not an indicator of real world world of mouth. The actual indicators, like CinemaScore, are actually quite good (A-). If it's underperformed (and my god, how most films would love to "underperform" to the tune of 500+ million worldwide in 3 weeks), I would hypothesize that it's more likely general Superhero fatigue. Iron Man made more, but it also had similar drops (58.4% in week 2, 50.7% in week 3). It also had the good fortune of coming off of the Avengers hype, whereas there hasn't been a good Superman movie in 30 years. Iron Man also had no competition in week 2 (Great Gatsby was #2 with 50mil), while MOS had to contend with both Monsters University (82mil) and WWZ (66mil). I bet that if MOS had come out last year instead of Avengers, it would have made similar money. Probably not as much because MOS doesn't have the overt fanservice Avengers had, but it would have been similarly huge.

9. Shawn Hopkins

I don't think there is any superhero fatigue. It would have kicked in long before now (instead of conveniently kicking in to explain Man of Steel's failure). Bad word of mouth is much more likely than that, at least. Competition is also a relevant factor, though, that is correct.

Also, as big as the Avengers? No way in hell. The Avengers built a fan base over five films and is also, by all objective standards, a much better movie.

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Yeah, the Marvel movies have gotten people excited about lesser-known characters and appear to have built a big juggernaut franchise. Quite apart from being terrible, Green Lantern clearly excited no one, and this is getting lukewarm reception as well. Apart from Nolan's Batman films, DC haven't had much luck with their big-screen superhero franchises at all.

11. Shawn Hopkins

The D.C. films show instead an antipathy toward franchise building. There's no way the films in the recent years are building toward anything like a Justice League movie. They can't fit together that way. Heck, Bruce Wayne is retired.

12. Fix-it Felix Jr.

This is not Sony's best year, so far. Two of the films (After Earth and White House Down) are doing poorly than expected. Lets hope that there upcoming sequels (Grown Ups 2 and The Smurfs 2) and a original film (Elysium) can improve their struggles.

13. sun

sun You stay, I go

Next week Man of Steel will lose another 50 percent. Why? The real word of mouth, people to people like talkis "It is boring." Words like "fun and enjoyable" not used. Great and good special effects are used. Today I asked someone about the Sandra Bullock film, and was told it was kinda fun and moved well. So..fun is good for me.. A lot of us fence sitters don't like to spend a lot..maybe at Red Box..for a buck and quarter..or at the library ...in some weeks for ...free...

14. Tohya

Hence why no one is using the internet message boards as indicators. IM3 made 400 mil despite incurring the wrath of nerds everywhere. So we know better than that. The actual indicators are, as I said, the box office returns. Superman is pretty much done making any significant money in the U.S. While 248 million is great for any movie in its third week; the fact that it only managed 20 million this past weekend after racking up 220 mil in its first two is probably the best example of a movie that nobody got excited about. While that in itself is the nature of the summer movie you have to ask yourself why this movie is making more money. Superhero fatigue? Unlikey since its managed 500 million pretty easily. Fatigue is proally what they will use to explain White House downs bombtastic performance. Competition? Word of mouth and rewatchability are good deterents. Iron man faced the two other biggest summer movies. It just is what it is.

#114 Tohya, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
  15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That's what they've got left? Hooboy, it doesn't look good!

I don't know enough about Elysium to judge it, but this is a very poor track record for greenlights from Sony. The first two films listed here did poorly simply because nobody wanted what they were selling (Will Smith shoving his kid down our throats, an exact duplicate of a film released months ago). Now their strategy relies on the wearing-thin Sandler and a movie where Gargamel creates an evil Smurf to lure Smurfette to the Dark Side (seriously, that's the plot, I suffered through that trailer last weekend).

No sympathy here. They've made their bed; they've gotta sleep in it.

16. DarkGojira

DarkGojira What are you staring at?

I just can't believe they're making another Smurfs movie. Boy, oh boy...

Anyway, I'm expecting Despicable Me 2 to come out on top this weekend, especially considering the fact that my local theater has already sold out two screenings of an early DM2 preview. Though, I'm still not certain how far Monsters University will fall...

17. Hanshotfirst1138

The first Smurfs and Grown Ups movies probably did good business, I'd imagine that's why the sequels got green-lit in the first place. Hopefully, Elysium will do well, it doesn't have the "Peter Jackson Presents" tag on it this time, but it has some star power and the credit established by District 9, hopefully that will be enough to get it to good business. Early reviews aren't good, but that's never stopped anyone, doubtlessly The Long Ranger will will be the box office champ next week. Bruckheimer+Disney+Depp+Pirates cache (This looks like Pirates 5 in all but name) will earn it massive cash. And by the Code of Primus, it appears to be 150 minutes long! I'm betting it'll be every bit as bloated asthe Pirates movies too. I think Pacific Rim is going to bomb and take a huge chunk of Guillermo del Toro's career with it, but I hope to Frith that I'm wrong.

18. Tohya

Going up against Despicable 2 i doubt Lone Ranger tops the box office. In fact im pretty sure it wont even top 100 million despite the early tues release. By all accounts its probably gonna flop...hard. 250 million budget..no way it makes that money here. Maybe with its overseas haul but i think its safe to assume Lone Ranger wont be taking home the crown this weekend.

19. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Taking everything that's been brought up regarding Man Of Steel into consideration, are we going to get the sequel (or shared DCU movies) soon, or is this going to be a "not so fast" type deal? Does the fact that Man Of Steel made more than Superman Returns matter to any of this?

20. Tohya

No it doesnt matter because WB isn't looking for any justification for Man of Steel. They just want the franchise to hit the ground running and never look back. Yeah there fast tracking the sequel, (reports say as early as next year) and it looks like they want a Justice League movie to happen very badly.