1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weekend Box-Office Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Clown Prince, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure these are the only films opening up this week? What about Much Ado About Nothing?

2. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

It already opened up in limited theaters June 7th. It placed 23rd this weekend and expanded by another 18 locations this weekend for a total so far of 23 locations. It's currently made $390,000. It'll probably expand into more theaters this weekend.

3. sun

sun You stay, I go

Do not be surprised if Man of Steel does poorly next week. The strongest kind of advertising is "word of mouth" and a lot of mouths are saying it is boring and has no sense of joy or happiness at all. And some said it goes on too long. That first week is outstanding, and those people were going to see it anyway. Will they see it again, and what about those fence sitters like me? I can be bored at home on the computer without standing in line and paying ten bucks...15 for 3D/Imax..

4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

This is the End is looking pretty appetizing/enjoyable right about now (especially compared to clearly overrated trash like Man of Steel is - and i don't need to see it to know that!), when I get some time off from work - I could use a legitimately good laugh right about now... Though, if it is that good, I'll just take my chances and add it to my DVD collection, even though that will be a long wait, but whatever.

5. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Man, it's a good think I can know This is the end is overrated trash without seeing it. Thanks! -_-;;

6. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Actually, that's what I feel Man of Steel is, sadly...

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

...Maybe you shouldn't judge Man of Steel until you watch it...

8. Convoy Rat

Convoy Rat Member

He's already heard the general consensus, and that is all the information you need to know to stay away from this movie.

9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Yes, because following the mob mentality means it's always right.

10. Convoy Rat

Convoy Rat Member

Well with the price of movie tickets these days, sometimes it's worth seeing what the majority thinks before blowing your money.

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Ties into what Spielberg was saying about the implosion of the film industry recently.

12. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

What's you're definition of "general consensus"? Do you just look at RT score and some message board comments and nothing else? While the RT score is middling, maybe a $125 million opening weekend, an A- Cinemascore, and an 8.2/10 on IMDB might make you think twice.

13. DarkGojira

DarkGojira What are you staring at?

I disagree. Not everyone is going to have the same opinions. Even if a movie is good, someone will have a different opinion on why he/she believes otherwise.

I personally believe the only person that matters about whether the film is good or bad is you. You, and you alone, have the right to decide if you liked the movie or not, no matter what anyone says. But, that's just me.

By the way, looking at the box office numbers for The Croods, I wish that Rise of the Guardians was the first film to be distributed by 20th Century Fox. I think they could've done a better job with the marketing.

14. Jean74

Jean74 Ready for Autumn

Knew that Man of Steel would be #1. As it has gotten back half of it's cost. As it cost $230M to make. And already grossed $130M nearly in the USA! And more around the world.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Man of Steel fell to number 3 and did worse than expected in its second week in the U.S.. Word of mouth might be dragging it down.

Box Office: 'Monsters U' Zooms to $82 Million; Brad Pitt's 'World War Z' Nabs $66 Million

Heading into the frame, box office observers believed World War Z would end up in a closer battle with Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan's Man of Steel, with many giving Superman an edge over zombies.

As it turned out, Man of Steel fell more than expected domestically, even as it jumped the $200 million mark in North America and nearly $400 million worldwide. The movie grossed $41.2 million domestically, a 65 percent decline, pushing its domestic total to $210 million.

Overseas, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures' Man of Steel towered over the competition, grossing $89 million from 52 markets for an international cume of $188.3 million and global total of $398.3 million. Highlights included China, where the tentpole took in $25.5 million. And it beat World War Z in the U.K., grossing $8.2 million in its second weekend, versus a $7.1 million opening for World War Z.

I wonder if it's going to end up being one of those huge hits that the studio still calls a "disappointment."

That's interesting that it did better in the U.K. Maybe they're starting to get tired of zombies there.

16. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

You could always just wait and Redbox it for a buck and a quarter, heck of a lot better than the price of tickets plus the gas and the time.

Promoting his book Monsters in the Movies: 100 Years of Cinematic Nightmares, director John Landis has actually posited some interesting things about why zombies currently tend to be the most popular monster of the moment. I find the guy's personality and viewpoints to be kind of abrasive, but if you Google around (I heard him on the BBC with Kermode and Mayo and The Treatment with Elvis Mitchell), some of his insights are interesting.

17. sun

sun You stay, I go

...Just as important as "blowing your money" is blowing your time. Time is extremely valuable these days. Kinda like driving to the theater, finding a parking spot, standing in line to buy a ticket, waiting for the picture to start, sitting thru 20 minutes of trailers, then the movie..maybe... There is enough talk out there, to hint that the movie is boring....too long...I have talked to some, not here..but others, say it is boring..too long. ..Forget the rest..Boring..means poorly written or poorly directed or both..Why waste the time on it...if it is boring?..., boring..like me...so there....I will see something else, Sandra Bullock, yes always liked her, or Maybe the Monsters U...I need to get to the U....oh, maybe I'll see it at the redbox..for a buck and a quarter..or maybe later...at the library for free...

18. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

Monsters University was the number one movie again this weekend falling 44% and earning another $46.1 million and bringing it's total up to $171 million!

Opening in second place was the R rated girl comedy The Heat earning $40 million against a $43 million budget.

World War Z dropped one spot to third with $29.8 million and a $123.7 million total.

Opening very poorly in fourth place was White House Down with $25 million against a $150 million budget. Poor decision I think opening it so close to Olympus Has Fallen. It ranks as Roland Emmerich's worst opening.

And rounding out the top 5 is Man of Steel. After falling 67% from it's debut weekend to it's second weekend, it fell another 49% between it's second and third weekend. It made another $20.8 million and brought it's total up to $248.6 million. It's worldwide total now stands at $520.3 million.

Opening next weekend for the 4th of July holiday are two new movies. Both open this Tuesday night at 7:00 and first up is Disney's The Lone Ranger (rated PG-13). Directed by Gore Verbinski and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer it stars Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, Tom Wilkinson, William Fichtner, Barry Pepper, James Badge Dale, Ruth Wilson, and Helena Bonham Carter. With all the production problems and delays and a huge budget reported at close to $250 million, many are predicting this to be Disney's next John Carter. Meaning bombing big.

The other movie of the weekend is Despicable Me 2 (rated PG) starring the voices of Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand, Steve Coogan, Ken Jeong, and Benjamin Bratt.

Here are your numbers....

1) Monsters University- $46,180,000 ($171,006,000)
    2) The Heat- $40,000,000 ($40,000,000) NEW!
    3) World War Z- $29,800,000 ($123,722,000)
    4) White House Down- $25,700,000 ($25,700,000) NEW!
    5) Man of Steel- $20,820,000 ($248,660,000)
    6) This is the End- $8,700,000 ($74,681,000)
    7) Now You See Me- $5,500,000 ($104,681,000)
    8) Fast & Furious 6- $2,410,000 ($233,313,000)
    9) Star Trek Into Darkness- $2,040,000 ($220,501,000)
    10) The Internship- $1,425,000 ($41,705,000)
    11) Iron Man 3- $1,403,000 ($405,435,000)
    12) The Purge- $1,229,000 ($62,791,000)

19. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Looks like Man of Steel probably won't top Iron Man 3 this summer, then, it's falling too fast.

20. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I perdicted MoS was gonna fall pretty fast similar to Returns. Its word of mouth hasnt been all that great i would imagine. And what the heck were they thinking with white house downs release. I could take olympus's audio for the trailer and use it for White house down and youd never know the difference.