1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weekend Box-Office Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Clown Prince, Feb 3, 2013.

1. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I'd be shocked if M. Night could still get work after this. If I were a studio exec, I'd rather go with a kid straight out of film school than him.

2. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

The trailers seem to be going out of their way not to use the Z-word, I'm surprised they aren't promoting it as a zombie movie given their popularity right now. Will Smith was the biggest box office draw you could have once upon a time. Guess not so much anymore. Hitflix had an article recently about the death of the movie star at the box office as a result.

Which is a shame. He's actually pretty talented, or has shown to he sometimes, but his box office cache is pretty nonexistent now.

3. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Guess I was right to only watch Star Trek: Into Darkness (Definitely one of 2013's best movies so far, IMHO) and Hangover III (a guilty pleasure, IMHO... It was stupid as all get-out, sadly, but I still enjoyed it, nonetheless)... Nothing really grabs me here right now, otherwise!

Yeah (IMHO), M. Night really needs to take a hike already (I don't care how "smart and sophisticated" his films come off, they're overrated and worthless after given a few years age, IMHO!); in terms of end-of-the-world fare, Oblivion (Tom Cruise has been on a role lately with being in stuff I enjoy seeing, period!) is ENOUGH for me, thank you very much.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think I've heard smart and sophisticated with M Night since the 6th sense or Unbreakable. If anything for a long time now people just label his work as stupid and pointless.

5. I.R. Shokew

Glad I'm not the only one, then... Thanks for that reminder.

Then again, when I'm able to approach stuff and still surprisingly enjoy it, despite majority negative words being said about it like Hangover III, for a major example (hopefully I'll find a better comedy to watch sooner or later; I almost always usually do, BTW), and find myself immediately writing off your attempts at being "shocking,poetic, deep, sophisticated, and smart, etc." like what After Earth is clearly failing at even attempting to do... This is all I can say to you in the end.:

JUST. GIVE. UP. ALREADY.

Then again, I didn't even pay attention to M.Night when he was legitimately good at what he was attempting to even do. I always felt & knew he was a hack in some way, shape, or for. Seriously, it was only a matter of time before this cold hard truth caught up with him and everyone woke up to expose him for what he is (and what his movies are, once you take a step back and analyze them for properly, of course.) in the end...

#65 I.R. Shokew, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  6. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

When you really think about it, he still is. That hasnt gone away. In the last ten years only two (the second being this current mess) of his movies have been financial flops. What makes it seem so long ago is because he took that four year hiatus. If Smith had chosen Djano instead of this vanity project with his son, he would have had 6 out of 7 seven number one movies at the B.O over the last 8 years. But i guess at this point of his career being number one at the B.O isnt that big of a priority (if it had been, he would of teamed up with Tarantino).

But most of the end of the world movies havent come out yet. We had a mediocre one and another terrible one so far and both performed exactly to expectations. Nerds will flock to Pacific Rim and At Worlds End. The average movie goer will watch Elysium. People will watch World War Z regardless of the movies I just mentioned. I mean were gonna get to see robots fighting monsters, the end of the cornetto triology AND a movie adapation of one of the best zombie books out there. If people like the ShopSoldier have already had there fill than there really missing some potentially epic movies.

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, M Night has one final chance and it's called 'Unbreakable 2'. Both Willis and Jackson have been begging him and he keeps putting it off. All you need is Willis coming back, Jackson in jail, a new villain with super powers, and a new actor to play his son with super powers. If he messes that up, it was nice while it lasted.

8. I.R. Shokew

All the off-putting is my proof that if he does it, it will fail much worse than After Earth has so far... Even if only IMHO, I don't see this pulling M.Night out of the fire he clearly is being cooked/roasted in right now.

9. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

On the weekend before the next big summer tent pole blockbuster opens we got two new films. One a pretty good success, the other kinda eh. Opening in first place was the R rated The Purge debuting to $36.3 million on a $3 million production budget. Reviews are at a 41% at Rotten Tomatoes but that didn't seem to matter to those that wanted to turn out to see the rather interesting concept of the film.

Falling one spot to second place is Fast and Furious 6 with $19.7 million and a $202.9 million total. Combined with it's foreign total of $381.7 million, it's worldwide total is now up to $584.6 million!

Dropping only 33.6% from it's debut weekend last week was Now You See Me which dropped one spot to third place with $19.5 million and a $61.3 million total.

Debuting in fourth place with kind of a thud was The Internship with $18.1 million on a $58 million production budget. Rated PG-13, this should have attracted more people. But alas, the re-teaming of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson didn't produce. While it'll probably make it back and then a little bit more, it's not a successful comedy like some of the other big ones of late.

Rounding out the top 5 is Epic with $12.1 million and a $84.1 million total.

Out of the top 12 this weekend is The Croods (13th) which leaves with $181.6 million and another $388.6 million at the foreign box office. Also gone is Frances Ha (14th).

Opening next weekend is only one new movie and that one movie is Man of Steel (rated PG-13). A lot of hopes and anticipation lie with this new reboot of the Superman franchise. Hopes of say a DC cinematic universe like Marvel's for example. Directed by Zack Snyder and written by David Goyer Man of Steel stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix, and Richard Schiff.

1) The Purge- $36,379,000 ($36,379,000) NEW!
    2) Fast & Furious 6- $19,760,000 ($202,946,000)
    3) Now You See Me- $19,500,000 ($61,374,000)
    4) The Internship- $18,100,000 ($18,100,000) NEW!
    5) Epic- $12,100,000 ($84,155,000)
    6) Star Trek Into Darkness- $11,700,000 ($200,140,000)
    7) After Earth- $11,200,000 ($46,592,000)
    8) The Hangover Part III- $7,380,000 ($102,374,000)
    9) Iron Man 3- $5,787,000 ($394,316,000)
    10) The Great Gatsby (2013)- $4,230,000 ($136,175,000)
    11) Mud- $1,209,000 ($18,600,000)
    12) Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani- $890,000 ($2,943,000)

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

With the way everyone was laughing at the concept of The Purge, I thought it'd do much worse.

We're not gonna get people who believe in this, are we?

11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

You're not alone here, especially given how the "concept" is nothing more than a way of saying "Our home invasion film is different" (and pretty much a MacGuffin of some sort).

I'm sure this board is safe, as I think we all know well that this type of thing will never happen in real life as Congress would never pass something that would put their lives as risk (not to mention that this type of thing would be unconstitutional). However, I'm more concerned about copycat incidents, especially in a time where there's been a lot of violent incidents in the news (including a shooting at a college the same day this film came out in the United States).

12. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Next week looks kind of crowded for "Man of Steel."

I think there is a morbid curiosity about The Purge that made it popular even if it isn't good. Still, surprising it's doing that well.
    It may do a better job of being the horror story of today then "World War Z" does, even though it was an episode of Star Trek 45 years ago.

13. sun

sun You stay, I go

"The Purge" not exactly original...from a Star Trek Ep. (org series)

"There has been a dearth of horror films at the multiplex in recent weeks, which Rocco acknowledged was a major factor for "The Purge." Written and directed by James DeMonaco, "The Purge" is set in a utopic United States in the year 2022, where crime has been eradicated except for one violently cathartic day a year when nearly all mayhem is legal." ..... .....This is a take off on a Star Trek ep..from the original series....exact same premise...quite a tough thing to do, make a whole movie based on one ep.....So, who is it going to be who comes up with the title and ep number ?...someone out there will know......

14. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I think you guys were alone actually, because that concept was what netted them 36 mil, meaning it was intriguing enough to get people to watch. But the movie was terrible and the word of mouth was just as bad.so expect a huge drop off next week.

15. Fix-it Felix Jr.

This is the End
    comes out this Wednesday (rated R), would that count as a film coming out this weekend? Also, that film along with every other comedy of this summer's (The Heat, Grown Ups 2, We're the Millers and Kick-Ass 2) box office should increase with The Hangover Part III and The Internship opening below expectations.

#75 Fix-it Felix Jr., Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  16. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Ep. #21: The Return of the Archons (which actually does a better job with the "crime is legal" premise, as it shows what happens when you take away individual creativity).

As for basing a film on entire episode, isn't Wrath of Khan basically a sequel to the Space Seed episode?

17. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

It's an interesting idea, but to explore it fully would probably have implications that wouldn't make a for a very good commercial thriller, since you'd probably be hamstrung by the expectations of Hollywood producers and conventions (And Michael Bay is one of the producers on this, so lets be honest, social commentary probably isn't very high on his priority list.). Rod Serling probably would've had a field day with it on the The Twilight Zone. It's a great speculative fiction kind of idea though. I'll probably wait for the DVD, however.

#77 Hanshotfirst1138, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

That's probably another problem with the film: for this type of concept to work, it would have to be more than just a simple "home invasion" storyline with a tacked-on concept. The better way to explore the concept:

1. Make it an anthology;

2. Focus not only on the people avoiding the event, but also those taking part in it (and their motives);

3. Focus on other areas of crime besides murder (i.e. a story where people commit a robbery to get back the money that a greedy businessman/corporation took from them; a guy who takes advantage of the Purge to do vigilante work and protect those innocents caught up in the mess);

4. Have one story (possibly being the last one) be about one of the people behind the legalization of the Purge be a target themselves, making him/her reconsider this decision.

19. The Clown Prince

Staff Member Moderator

From Box Office Mojo on Man of Steel....

This Is The End had a Friday number of $6.8 million with a $19.1 million total since opening on Wednesday.

20. The Clown Prince

Staff Member Moderator

Numbers for June 14-16.

This was the weekend of Man of Steel. So for such a highly anticipated release I'm gonna let Box Office Mojo talk about it....

Box Office Mojo mentions the critics weren't thrilled with it but didn't mention the score which is at a shocking to sum 56% with a current 121 Fresh and 95 Rotten. It also opened at an impressive 4,207 locations, and don't quote me on the number, but around 800 some odd locations were going to have 2D screenings. WB wanted to you to have to see this on 3D if at all possible. It's also made an additional $71.6 million overseas. It opens in other markets in the next two weeks. With a $225 million production budget and another $100 some odd million spent on marketing, WB is said to have already made a good chunk of that back thanks to the many sponsors of the film. Warner Brothers, desperate for a new franchise to replace Harry Potter and The Dark Knight hopes beyond hope that this continues to do well so they can continue their path towards the much talked about shared DC cinematic universe.

Opening in second place and doing very well was the comedy This Is The End with $20.5 million and a $32.8 million total since opening on Wednesday. Critics have liked this one as it has a 85% at Rotten Tomatoes. This Is The End had a $32 million production budget.

Still doing well is Now You See Me with $10.3 million and a $80 million total.

Fast and Furious 6 finished fourth with $9.4 million and a $219.5 million total.

Rounding out the top 5 and tumbling 75% was last weekends number one movie The Purge which made another $8.2 million and a $51.8 million total.

Opening next weekend are two new movies. First up is the delayed, production troubled and expensive World War Z (rated PG-13) based on the book by Max Brooks. It stars Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox, and David Morse.

The other new movie of the weekend is Pixar's latest with Monsters University (rated G) starring the voices of Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Helen Mirren, Alfred Molina, Dave Foley, Sean P. Hayes, Joel Murray, Peter Sohn, Charlie Day, Nathan Fillion, Bobby Moynihan, Julia Sweeney, Aubrey Plaza, Tyler Labine, John Krasinski, Bonnie Hunt, Beth Behrs, and John Ratzenberger.

Here are your numbers....

1) Man of Steel- $113,080,000 ($125,080,000) NEW!
    2) This is the End- $20,500,000 ($32,800,000) NEW!
    3) Now You See Me- $10,320,000 ($80,009,000)
    4) Fast & Furious 6- $9,433,000 ($219,574,000)
    5) The Purge- $8,201,000 ($51,845,000)
    6) The Internship- $7,000,000 ($30,951,000)
    7) Epic- $6,000,000 ($95,429,000)
    8) Star Trek Into Darkness- $5,660,000 ($210,491,000)
    9) After Earth- $3,750,000 ($54,200,000)
    10) Iron Man 3- $2,908,000 ($399,610,000)
    11) The Hangover Part III- $2,735,000 ($107,986,000)
    12) The Great Gatsby- $1,605,000 ($139,909,000)