1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Virtual Console Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Eddy, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Using that logic, I'd probably be better off ditching my copy of Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 and download Super Ghouls N' Ghosts without a worry on my mind.

Anywho, nothing that strikes my fancy this week. I should take that as a sign to finish up Beyond Oasis, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Kid Icarus, ActRaiser and whatever other title I've bought and then promptly forgotten about.

2. launchpad25

launchpad25 Member

Nah, i'm keeping 'Capcom Classics Collection' because it has 'Final Fight' in all it's arcade glory. :D

3. PC!

PC! lolwut?

If you have a Wii, why don't you just buy Mega Collection for the GC? It doesn't have the Game Gear games on it.

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Not a bad week, but I already have the games I want this week on the Sega Genesis Collection (AGAIN!)...

If you don't own the Sonic or Sega collection, I recommend Sonic 2 and Golden Axe II. I like them both more than the originals.

5. Chad Bonin

Chad Bonin a.k.a. Knux Five
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Downloaded Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

By my count, I own this game on...

Genesis- First release.
    Genesis- Sonic Classics 3 In 1
    PStwo- Sonic Mega Collection +

... and now, Wii.

If you like a game, why limit the amount of times and versions you have it? On the Wii, I can play it within a few clicks.

And, I'll probably download it on XBox Live Arcade whenever Sega actually ANNOUNCES that initiative.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

The only Sonic game I'm holding out for is Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I'll gladly double (technically triple) dip for that.

7. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

I understand the willingness to buy Sonic games again. I really do. I bought them on Genesis, Saturn and GameCube. I was planning to buy them again, but then I did the math. StH, StH2, SSpinball, S3&K, and S3DB are the basics. At the VC rate, that's $40 already. We don't even know if S3&K will come out; they might release StH3 and S&K separately. It'll be pretty costly to buy them when my Sonic Mega Collection disk is quite handy (plus, it comes with extras like Blue Sphere and S2&K). I purchased LoZ:OoT, LoZ, and ZII:AoL for VC despite owning the collector's disk for a few reasons (better graphics for the former and controls more like the NES for the latter two) and I don't have any regrets, so to each his own. But I think Sonic Mega Collection is the way to go for this.

The only other GCN releases I'll consider purchasing for the VC are the Mega Man games. Atomic Planet screwed up the controls so bad I'd pay the price ($44 and no MM8) to replace them. Of course, I'd prefer a disk compilation to save money and ensure transferability should my Wii break (come to think of it, I'd prefer that for all my games), but I'll take them how they give them.

8. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

Because we aren't all made of money and have important things to spend it on sometimes, rather than buying something we own 3x?

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If I ever get a Wii, I only plan on buying games which haven't been released as part of standalone compilations. I feel it'd be rather pointless to buy Sonic 2 for Wii when I already have it for Genesis, as well as for Sonic Mega Collection+ and Sega Genesis Collection.

10. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

Pretty good week for games. Lode Runner is surprisingly addicting once you get used to the controls and premise, not to mention your main character gets chased around by Bomberman clones. :)

Speaking of Bomberman, I wonder when Nintendo will release the original NES Bomberman on the VC as well as Bomberman 2, which I don't believe got a U.S. release?

11. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Personally, I'd be ecstatic to get Bomberman 64 and Hero.

That's right. I said Hero.

12. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

But isn't Battle Lode Runner the better game? I can't see why someone would want to bother with an inferior version of the same basic game... Well, unless the extra dollar for the TG version is that much of a deal.

13. SuperPhillip

SuperPhillip Resident Superhero

Apparently PAL VCs this week got F-Zero X.
    Hopefully it's coming to other VCs within the week.

14. Dark Fact

True, but I guess if people want to choose, they have their options. Besides, doesn't the NES version have a level edit mode whereas the TG version doesn't? :confused:

I'm also wondering if Lode Runner 2 would get the VC release? That game had HUGE levels.

15. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Well, this is from a thread I read on Gamefaqs:

I'm not huge into Lode Runner, but from general opinion it seems Battle Lode is slightly better.

16. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

I'll pass this week and just hope I get Paper Mario next week...

Gee, this thread is getting big. I assumed one of the mods would've locked it and made a part 2 thread by now...

17. Tanooki

Tanooki Supplexing disease since 1982.

big threads are bothersome? :p i'll look into it

another pass for me this week, but maybe i'll actually get golf. lots of memories with my grandpa playing that game back when i was a little kid

18. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

Is there any way to activate Game Genie codes for the Virtual Console games or do you think they'll put one up for download eventually?

19. James Bester

James Bester Screaming for Vengeance

Man, it seems like I've been expecting Paper Mario for four weeks now, and it STILL hasn't become available yet.

20. Dark Fact

I usually consider the GameFAQs boards to be the video game equivalent of 4Chan. Meaning, I wouldn't take their reviews seriously.

However, as long as you have fun with either game, that's all that really matters. :)

As for this week's new games, not much here to look at but NES Open Tournament Golf seems pretty interesting. This is Mario Golf before Mario Golf.
    Don't threads need to have at least 500 posts before they get locked?
    Game Genie had nothing to do with Nintendo's official line of products. It was a separate product created by Galoob (and later Camerica) to be used for Nintendo games. Just like Game Shark is not affiliated with Gamecube, Playstation, and XBox. I don't know who even has the license to Game Genie at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.