1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Video Game History Foundation

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mandouga, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

http://gamehistory.org/

Personally, I think this is a great idea. This new organization is actually taking steps to preserve the history of video games. IMO, you all should check it out.

(sigh) I can only hope the guy in charge doesn't start running afoul of cease-and-desist orders from various current video game companies (e.g.,"You want to preserve the history of our company? Pay up, or we'll see you in court.", or even "Our company assures you that we are taking steps to preserve our history. Your services are not required."). Preserving history is important, and even video games deserve it.

I have to admit though, I'm not entirely sure what they are trying to do. They mentioned something about an online library where people can view various things about video game history (including, I think, making some of it playable, but I'm not certain). They say they aren't a museum, but they did mention taking steps to preserving things like game boxes and instruction manuals, and magazines and stuff like that.

Again, I think everyone should take a look at least. They even have a(n unlisted) You Tube video on their site that explains what they are trying to do.

So, what do you all think? I know I'm going to support in any way I can...

Oh, and one other thing. The video that introduces itself doesn't properly credit the games that it references (e.g., Mega Man 2 by Capcom), just so you know...

2. SNS

SNS "I am..."

I agree, I will be keeping on eye on this.

Like when Nintendo forced the Internet Archive to take down all their copies of Nintendo Power.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For those keeping score at home, the founder of this was the same one leading the work on the Mega Man Legacy Collection. If this means even a bit more work along that line, it's a very good thing.