1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Underwater Babes of Toontown

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by J. B. Warner, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Bic

Bic Acid-filled Twinkies!!!

While I'm not familliar with the characters from "The Fairly OddParents", your strip was fantastic. Awesome job!

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Thanks!

They've gotten several requests, and now here they are - Babs, Fifi, and Shirley from "Tiny Toon Adventures", teaching themselves the old cartoon trick of breathing underwater!

[​IMG]

3. sockhead

sockhead slothcommander

I really like these. The Futurama one is probably my favorite. The expression on Amy's face and her pose with her head backwards is great. I like the ones with a bit more narrative to them. I'd second the request of April from TMNT and throw Dee Dee from Dexter's Lab out there as well.

4. Viper

Viper I'll Never Forget You Two!

Hi. I like these drawings a lot too. The Tiny Toons girls picture was terrific!

I have a few requests for future drawings too:

Totally Spies' Sam, Alex, & Clover--it would be funny to see them do an "underwater" mission!:anime:
    Martin Mystery's Diana Lombard
    Team Galaxy's Yoko
    TMNT 2003's April O'neal
    American Dad's Francine & Haley
    Yugioh's Tea, Serenity, and Mai Valentine
    Yugioh GX's Alexis
    MAR's Dorothy & Snow
    Bee Movie's Vanessa Bloome
    Winx Club's Bloom, Stella, Tecna, Musa, Flora, & Layla--(seperate or all together)

That's about it for now, but I'll try and come up with more ideas soon.:)

5. J. B. Warner

I'm not too familiar with all of the characters Viper mentioned, but I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, enjoy this entry - it's Jessie from "Pokémon", engaging James in that old game where you try to hang upside-down from the pool's edge for the longest period of time...

[​IMG]

6. Black Spot

Black Spot Member

I’ve been reading this thread for a while, and your pictures are full of silliness – the latest one is totally absurd. I love them; they make me smile.

7. J. B. Warner

Another pair of frequently-requested characters, here's April O'Neil and Irma Langinstein from "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" reporting on the fascinating field of underwater fashion modeling!

[​IMG]

8. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

thanks for the one of April and Irma, keep up your good work :D

9. J. B. Warner

I'm back again, returning to the realm of Warner Bros. cartoons I know so well. Here's Space Jam's own Lola Bunny, taking the concept of water polo to new depths...

[​IMG]

10. J. B. Warner

She's technically more of a "cutie" than a "babe", but she was underwater in an episode of "Inspector Gadget" - here's my take on Penny's adventure in a flooded elevator!

[​IMG]

11. Glitcher

Glitcher Lord of the Thundercats

I'm highly impressed with your drawings, J.B., both here and on DeviantArt. You seem to channel the spirits of the original animators with the way you emulate their style very convincingly and expressively. (The pic of Babs and Lola is a particular favourite of mine.)

I don't pretend to understand your morbid fascination in drowning girls, but I think you could do better with the colours in an underwater environment. It looks like you've simply added a light blue overlay, which only desaturates the characters and gives the picture a rather drab appeareance. You already have some dramatic lighting at your disposal with the rays filtering down through the surface, so I suggest you use that to your advantage. Remember that there's naturally less light underwater, so increase the constrast and paint some stark highlights where the rays touch their skin! I recommend you play around with the Curves menu (Ctrl+M) to affect both contrast and saturation at the same time. You could also try superimposing transparent textures of water surfaces if you find them too difficult to paint, yourself. (Have a look at cgtextures.com.) Finally, I feel your toon art is just crying out for some coloured line art. I wrote a tutorial on that at the link below if you're interested.

I see a lot of potential here. Keep improving your colouring, J.B. I'm eager to see more. :)

http://glitcher.deviantart.com/journal/10166201/#comments

12. J. B. Warner

Thanks for the tips! Although I do want to point something out...

I have no interest in drowning. Back when I first started taking an interest in underwater fashion photography, I took a lot of flak from people on the No Homers Club form (which I frequented at the time) who assumed I was into drowning as a form of bizarre sexual fetish. This was and still is a falsehood, and naturally, such accusations offended me, so I made it a point not to depict any drowning scenes in any of my underwater art - I don't like the idea of the characters I draw experiencing anything like that. I may draw characters in situations where it looks like they'll drown, but it's never played seriously, and I always have the intent that they'll live to see another day. (It should be noted that I was never able to stop the haranguing I received at the hands of the No Homers members who thought I was a pervert, and I had to leave the board as a result, so the subject it still very touchy for me.)

The interest I have in the underwater environment is hard to explain, and thus, it's very easy for people to misinterpret it. I just think it's a unique and interesting place to set my work, that's all.

13. Jackson54

Jackson54 ^I'm with stupid^

Keep up the good work, the folks at NoHomers now love your drawings

14. Damien_696

Damien_696 Guest

Hi ummm... I was wondering if you could do one of you drawings of Jenna, Dusty and Aleu underwater (all of them are from the balto movies) yeah i am a balto fan. But I though it would be intresting.

15. J. B. Warner

Well, I'd need some reference pictures for them, but I suppose it's a possibility...

16. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

All three of them are wolves, and one isn't even female. :confused: Looks like you'll have to open a "Underwater Animals of Toontown" thread, J.B. ;)

17. J. B. Warner

Yeah, I found this out after he contacted me through a private message - I'm not very familiar with the Balto films, and at first I assumed that at least one of them was a human character.