1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The U.K. votes to leave the EU

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jun 24, 2016.

1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Captain America 3 isn't out there yet?

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

American conservative columnist George Will had a column on the "Brexit", which can be read here.

He appeared on Fox News Sunday and I think he had some good points in favor of the "Brexit". From the transcript:

Begin transcript:

"CHRIS WALLACE: Now, George, you have a column today in which you're almost as happy about Britain leaving the E.U. as Nigel Farage was. Why?

GEORGE WILL: Well, even the supporters remaining in the E.U. approached it with a kind of weary, gloomy resignation, saying we really have no choice. And voters hate being told they have no choice. They said, we're so entangled with the E.U. and there will be such calamities if we leave that we just have to grin and bear it and hope that the E.U. gets better over time.

For all the attempts to say that everyone in favor of leaving the E.U. did it for racist reasons, which is a standard progressive response, the fact is 60 percent to 70 percent of all that the Britain government does is either compelled or mandated or in some way controlled by Brussels and counts and -- on the continent. Ask yourself, how many Americans would put up with 60 percent to 70 percent of America's public decisions being made by a commission in Canada and a court located in Honduras? I don't think very many.

The New York Times headline yesterday said, "Britain Enters Uncharted Territory." For what, 17 centuries they were outside the -- they were an independent nation. They spent 23 years in the E.U., think better of it and decided to leave. And this is considered a calamity.

One other point. They remain in the really important European institution, NATO. When the Balkans were engulfed in violence and genocide, really, the E.U. was utterly hopeless, utterly irrelevant. NATO came to the rescue and Britain remains a part of NATO."

/end transcript.

3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

So now we know why so many Londoners voted against the Brexit.
    https://www.theguardian.com/science...blow-to-uk-science-say-top-british-scientists
    "Leave vote sparks concerns over losing £1bn a year in funding and closing doors on researchers from EU countries"
    Oxford and Cambridge University are probably going to increase their enrollment fees once the EU stops fundng them.
    I just want to say that NATO is about warfare and peacekeeping, while the EU is about trade and tries (but fails) to unify European policies. Saying NATO is better than the EU, is like saying tennis rackets are better than microwaves. They're both good (or try to be good) at their own things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

George Will says alot of things and what he says is often couched in emotion. I guess you could say this about the "Leave" argument as a whole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

It's starting to look that Brexit was the right decision after all....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

EU or No EU, aren't we forgetting CERN is in Switzerland and the U.S and Japan contribute a lot to research. That money is redistributed British money.

Iceland, Switzerland and Norway have higher GDP per Capita than the EU average, all three have an EU trade agreement (at a price) but not subject to its customs union and are free to make any trade deals with anyone else.

I'm still surprised by the result, but Cameron must execute Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty NOW for the sake of Europe and the world's economic markets and get a deal.

#25 RegularCapital, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  6. Action!

Action! Active Member

The US Stock Market fell again. Fell about 260 points today.

7. Red Arrow :D

XD

The Netherlands, Poland, Austria, Belgium, Hungary and Denmark definitely don't want to merge with all other EU members. This is not going to happen, unless they mean just France and Germany will merge. (That would be pretty cool : P )

A civil war would break out if Belgium merged with France.

8. JedEmily

JedEmily Active Member

Is this not how a war starts?

9. Red Arrow :D

Don't worry ;) I don't think there's a West-European war coming up anytime soon.

But I also don't think mainland Europe is going to treat the UK the say way they treat Norway and Switzerland, unless the British suddenly find oil sources or secretly own most European money.

10. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

Next, to leave EU should be Poland. My country is enough paid for the left-side interests. We got only 90 mld. € by paying 106 mld. € for the stupid EU. Plus, in our country we won't to have muslims, homosexuals, and left-side polithics who wanted to "rescue their asses" to grab a trough.

11. RegularCapital

Well a deal has to be made for the fact that the City of London trade more Euros (and Dollars) than any city in the world, not making a deal could put an end to that liquidity in the Eurozone, well at least temporarily.

Also Britain is a 100% committed member of NATO, the Council of Europe and a permanent member of the UN Security Council so definitely no war, we didn't fight in two world wars for nothing. Britain and France are the two main countries that keep Europe safe.

The EU said that there's no going back into the union for time being, we're at the point of no return. If we want to reapply, our application will be treated like everyone else.

But to be honest, I bet the EU is glad to see the back of us, I think the divorce is mutual and a deal will be made, of which will include some contribution to the EU budget and the acceptance of cross-border regulation.

#31 RegularCapital, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  12. Red Arrow :D

Agreed.
    Of course, even though that might be tempting to do as an Englishman at the moment, you can't generalize all member of the EU.

Some are glad (not to say relieved) the UK left, but others are not.

Anyways... Are you really sure that superstate thing wasn't a joke?! I can only find it on English sites. My newspaper doesn't mention it, I couldn't find any Dutch or French source and not even a Swedish source :sweat:

IS THIS CENSORSHIP?!! : O

I did find news about Merkel trying to make a more flexible union for the Benelux, France, Germany and Italy, but not as a superstate. (Although I honestly wouldn't mind such a superstate, as long as it's just those 6 countries, no one else!)
    But then again: France might want Belgium back, but Belgium certainly doesn't want France back. A superstate wouldn't be realistic.

#32 Red Arrow :D, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  13. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

So let's recap...

A pack of xenophobic scumbags ran a campaign based entirely on lies they themselves quickly refuted the following day.

The increasingly inept PM allowed them to have their vote due to his own massive ego and "well people couldn't be THIS dumb" attitude.

Said vote passes and about half of the country immediately wants a doover.

The world economy takes a massive punch to the gut because of the usual massive speculation (as of last week though, the NYSE has bounced back).

PM Twat becomes first fall guy for this disaster and shows himself the door.

Ringleader #1 knows damn well he'll have his head bitten off and drops out of PM running.

Ringleader #2, after getting excoriated in everything BUT the Murdoch-owned press, resigns from his own putrid party...again (yeah about that...)

What a "beautiful" thing they've done! /s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

16. JedEmily

JedEmily Active Member

This is indeed beautiful.

17. RegularCapital

The case for Brexit wasn't Xenophobia (yes I agree there were racists supporting the leave campaign), it's about having a sensible immigration policy, sovereignty, and international trade outside the EU (as trade policy is done as a block and not by individual member states). There were people from all racial backgrounds backing both leave and remain.

But, most importantly, both sides of the argument LIED.

Both the Remain and Leave teams have put forward very convincing arguments, but unfortunately the "Status Quo" wasn't an option, Remaining also had implications too, as it would be sending a message to the EU to say that they're doing a fantastic job, but clearly they're not, someone had to make a stand. This is an institution that doesn't take reform very kindly.

Voting in the referendum was a difficult decision to make, especially as there's loads of Brits that do take advantage of what the EU has to offer and a leap into the dark is one hell of a risk.

Britain has the upper-hand in the negotiations due to the fact that we're Germany's biggest customer and leverage will be made on defence grounds if Brexit does happen. If a deal is not made, it would be one incredibly stupid decision, which would cause an economic disaster which would dwarf Lehman Brothers.

By the way, the referendum isn't legally binding, the UK Parliament can throw it out when they vote on to accept the public's decision.

Contrary to the belief, there is actually a plan, the question is whether the EU would actually accept this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B6B6SBG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

19. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

You know, for a time I always thought of Britain as New York... but now I'm starting to see it's more in line with Texas and Missouri.

20. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

London is New York City, the rest of the country is everywhere else. It's the classic urban-rural divide. Doesn't go away just because you leave the US. This battle can be seen across time and around the world.