1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The U.K. votes to leave the EU

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jun 24, 2016.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Posting this for our U.K. members and for our European members to comment on (and for Americans and whomever else that may want to chime in):

It's official: The U.K. has voted to leave the European Union.
    Here's CNN Live Blog as things unfold.

Prime Minister Cameron is resigning. Financial markets on both continents are in upheaval.

It's a lot to take in, for those of us (like myself) who are on the outside looking at it all unfold.

Comments?

MOD NOTE:
    Normal "political discussion" rules apply for this thread.

#1 wonderfly, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

This is a good day for the UK, honestly.
    However, it will take 2 years for the Leaving process to complete itself properly. The people must also be weary that those in power in both the UK who wanted to stay in the EU, and those in the EU who will try to force the UK to stay (especially) will be doing everything they can to keep the UK in the failing system.

The EU is a failure and I welcome more and more nations leaving it. ASAP, if not NOW.

#2 I.R. Shokew, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

This is a good day for France and the USA. For the other countries? Not so much.

70 000 à 100 000 people in London will loose their job in the next 5 years because it is more tactical for many companies to stay in the EU.

I understand people write the EU off as a failure, but it is still stronger as a bunch of separate European countries. The pound has never dropped so much.
    Scotland and Northern Ireland want a second referendum. They want to leave the UK and go back to the EU.

My brother is really angry right now xD I honestly don't care that much. I'm just glad RegularCapital voted to stay :D

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Greece part of the EU? We've been watching Greece nearly collapse several times only to get yet another loan it won't pay off from a richer country, and it's because of this EU thing, isn't it? If they go down, they all go down.

In that sense, the EU was probably a bad idea to begin with. Connecting healthy countries with corrupt ones who can't manage their money only drags down the stronger ones, and punishes them for decisions they had nothing to do with.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

6. Red Arrow :D

The European Union is supposed to help less rich countries, and they managed to do that with all poor countries that joined, except Greece.

You can't help Greece. Taxation doesn't work because the rich in Greece don't have to pay anything :( (All their money is in Switzerland) I have been in Athens and it is really sad to see: lots of poor people and lots of extremely rich people. But no middle class. Many European countries tried to help Greece (especially Germany), but it's no use. All money pumped into Greece immediately went to the rich.

Does that mean the EU failed? Yes, absolutely. Those that mean all countries should leave the EU? No, voting for exit is voting for more poverty. These Brexit-voters do not realize what the EU has accomplished. The European trade zone (or whatever the English name is) has helped pretty much all companies and an economical crisis would break out without it.

Brexit voters really don't know how European economics works. Like, at all. Or maybe they just don't care. Well, this "I am born in a rich country and nothing can stop me from living in wealth!" mentality shall come to an end if you keep living in ignorance :shrug:

EDIT: 72% of the young voters (anyone under the age of 24) voted against the Brexit. British high schools probably teach economics to their students.

• Like Like x 2
    #6 Red Arrow :D, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, then if what you say is true, they should've just booted Greece out and continued on. If that wasn't possible, they should've had some stipulation that if your own country was below a certain level of incompetence your EU status would be revoked. Maybe if they had something like this, Brexit wouldn't have gotten far enough to become reality.

8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I don't think the Brits were motivated by a firm stance on economic policy. I think they just didn't want to have foreigners around and wanted to flip off the country's cosmopolitan elites.

9. Red Arrow :D

Agreed.
    Well, the UK has been ranting since they joined in 1973. They would have left anyway :D
    France will now try to send all his unregistrated refugees to the UK. (where they belong)

The only reason these refugees are in Calais is because they want to go to the UK, but the UK doesn't want them and France is "friends" with the UK so they keep them in Calais.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

11. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

12. Action!

Action! Active Member

Civil War coming soon?

13. Red Arrow :D

In Texas?

14. Action!

Action! Active Member

US

15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

American secessionists are too lazy and stupid to run their own nation-state. Especially the Alaskans.

16. sasq

sasq Active Member

17. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Please don't let it be in Portugal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Eggy

Eggy Member

I'm so glad that the UK has voted to leave the EU because the EU is undemocratic.

19. Red Arrow :D

Except it's not. All people who have anything to say in the European Council.have been voted democratically. Don't like the EU? Then vote for someone else.

Heck, even the US is less democratic than that because not everyone in the US has the right to vote, and some votes are more important than others thanks to that elector system.

I feel very sorry for Northern Ireland and Scotland and I hope they leave the UK. (Scotland could join Scandinavia :p ) Otherwise England is going to suck all life out of Scotland :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UK's second most Googled question after Brexit: 'What is the EU?'
    Couldn't they have Googled that BEFORE the referendum? XD

#20 Red Arrow :D, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016