The "truth" behind Adventure Time?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Inkan1969, May 3, 2010.

1. Inkan1969

Inkan1969 New Member

I've been wondering about the opening sequence. The first thing we see is a landfill filled with military refuse, and then the Land of Ooo is just beyond it. That scene gives me a theory: could the true premise behind "Adventure Time" be similar to "Where the Wild Things Are"? Maybe Finn is actually a human boy living in the real world. The adventures we're seeing are actually happening only in his imagination. I think that Finn might live in the real world, with his house nearby that dangerous landfill. So Finn came up with an imaginary place called The Land of OOO that exists beyond the landfill, a place he can't actually get to in real life.

Does anyone else have similar theories? Have the creators commented on the premise being real or imaginary?

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

You are not alone. I have thought the same thing.

3. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

According to Pen Ward, the Land of Ooo is actually a post-apocalyptic world, which would kinda explain the random scraps of technology and military artillery. I doubt that will actually be relevant to the series itself, though.

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Well, that explains the frozen business men in "Business Time".

5. AnimatEd

AnimatEd Did I forget to sign Rolf?

I saw him mention it in the chat room on his live drawing feed. He said that AT is set so long after a nuclear strike that life has began again (causing mutations such as Princess Bubblegum) and none of the characters know about this apocalypse.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

So, Ooo is Earth, post-apocalypse, eh?

A bit odd, but I like that better than the "Ooo is all just in Finn's head" idea.

7. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocksā„¢

If it was like that and the series ended, it'll be flashbacks and back to real life.

8. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

I think the "all in the kid's head" idea has been done a few too many times, so I'm glad that it's a different backstory. Whether it'll ever be explored, we will have to wait and see.

Actually, the post-apocalyptic premise seems to be more well-thought out and symbolic then it may seem at first sight. It sort of signifies that, even after going through the greatest of sorrows (the apocalypse), hope and optimism (Finn and Jake) can still thrive, and what better manifestation of hope and optimism then a kid, of course.

9. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Finn has no parents:confused:

10. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

Post-apocalyptic? Lol, well it's definitely not in the traditional sense but strangely it works.

Really? The only thing that comes to mind is St. Elsewhere. What other shows/movies/books etc. have featured this premise?

Perhaps but is it really that important?

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Possible, but likely. Finn is only 12; if this apocalypse occurred so long ago that none of the characters have any knowledge of it, it couldn't have just been 12 years previous, as the adult characters would have some recollection of those events.

In any regard, it remains to be seen how important that fact is, or if it will ever come up on the show.

12. intexdai

intexdai New Member

Maybe when finn was a baby he was frozen in a glacier years later he got thawed out and wandered off. Or there may be more humans in the land of ooh that we havent seen yet o_O? i do kinda hope well get an origin story out of the series

13. AnimatEd

AnimatEd Did I forget to sign Rolf?

It's probably best if they stick to the plan of none of the characters being related to this, though, since going back to the pre-apocalyptic world would involve getting rid of all the show's fun stuff or getting rid of its novelty by putting crazy stuff in the present as well. Not even Marceline, who's been alive thousands of years, should've been around for it, since I'm guessing vampires would be another mutation that resulted from the apocalypse. It'd be cool if they acknowledged it somehow, but I don't think any of the characters would be too interested in something that happened that long ago unless they TRAVELED THROUGH TIME (idea?).

14. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

Man this show just keeps getting cooler!!

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

I agree that it would be best for the inhabitants of Ooo to remain blissfully unaware of the pre-apocalyptic world. Having the cast become aware that there was a civilization before them which fell would take away from Adventure Time's fun factor and could potentially change the tone of the whole show. I'd hate to see AT change into some sort of serious or allegorical thing.

16. Inkan1969

Inkan1969 New Member

the truth

MasterToon, like I said, "Where the Wild Things Are" has the premise that the fantasy world is all in the boy's head.

Is that so? :anime: I was wondering why the landfill had so many bombs and weapons. I agree with you AnimatEd. I expect that the cast never finds out about the past, or they know about it but don't obsess over it. While this world is real in the show, I think Ooo still follows the principle of being a boy's perfect world: exotic lands, evil villains that a boy can beat to a pulp, a talking dog for a best friend, princesses to rescue and who are cute girls that fall over him. This apocalypse premise fits into that principle: Finn then is a kid Mad Max who's the world's only hope.

The post-apocalypse premise also fits into the show's recurring theme of death. Princess Bubblegum tried to bring back the dead; TreeTops's quest of a lifetime appeared to culminate in her death, the duo met zombie businessmen. Death is an integral part of the premise, but the duo can deal with death as adventurers.

17. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

You know, whenever threads like this one come up, I'm always reminded of this one lyric in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 opening theme song:

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts, just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show', I should really just relax"

Words to live by. ;):anime:

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Dude, you're seriously over-analyzing this show.

It's just a fun cartoon. Relax and enjoy it. :)

19. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

"Finn, you've traveled BACK IN TIME...and to Mars."

20. Inkan1969

Inkan1969 New Member

basic idea

I still think Ward has a basic idea behind Ooo, that it's supposed to be every boy's perfect world. I think that basic idea is what makes the cartoon so fun. Otherwise, it would be just random weirdness: another "Aqua Teen Hunger Force".