The Truth about TOM 4

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by SRB2Unleashed, Jun 16, 2012.

1. SRB2Unleashed

SRB2Unleashed Dragon Ball obsessed

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter! Moderator

They didn't have the technology to make faces?

Then how do they explain Miguzi, which premiered 3 years earlier?

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

That's a good point but maybe they were thinking it was too soon to revamp TOM with the move to Saturday night so they revamped Sara and the scenery instead and saved the revamp of TOM for the 10th anniversary which by then they probably fully expected to get to.

4. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

I don't get why people still need to bring TOM 4 up over and over again. Maybe you liked this design or maybe you didn't, but that really doesn't matter anymore because he's gone and we are never going to see him back ever again. People keep trying to act like TOM 4 was the biggest mistake the world has ever seen and he really wasn't. Forget about him and call it a day.

I'm not saying it was a mistake to post this. I'm just saying that I think people need to get over TOM 4 and that everybody has needed to get over him since 2007.

I just don't understand why there was a need to find out who created the idea for TOM 4. Do some people really care this much about something everyone seemed to hate?

5. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 New Member

Wasn't this always the case? They said so in an past interview. From what I remember, Sean always wanted Tom to have a fully animated face but they couldn't due to lack of technology in the beginning. Once they had the technology, they changed his design. Of course, fan reaction was negative. I find visors to be cool piece of character design imo. When they took that featureaway from TOM, he looked really lame as a result.

6. SRB2Unleashed

SRB2Unleashed Dragon Ball obsessed

People were saying for years that Snyder wanted a kid-friendly version of TOM. I was curious and asked DeMarco about it. I remember that interview, it aired on TV correct? If not I watched it online (that was the video that led me to search for a HQ rip of TOM 3 with the red guitar and I STILL can't find it) and I remember Sean saying he always wanted TOM to have a face, but honestly, they could've just had TOM 3 occasionally take his 'helmet' off.

7. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

Here's that video of Sean talking about the 07 redesign.
    The saddest part is, that yeah...they took away any real "cool" factor TOM had, period.
    Some of those pre-production designs looked pretty neat though, ala the TOM with a slimmer build than TOM 3 but still had the face.

8. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

It was on Jetstream.

9. El-Hazard

El-Hazard I like birds

From the sound of it, a lot of genuinely honest hard work went into making this version of Toonami. I'm honestly a little bummed out for them that it didn't reach the level of fan appreciation that they wanted it to.

10. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

It sure does seem that way, but I don't think anybody wanted the old Tom to go so people put up a fuss about Tom 4. I honestly never thought Tom 4 was as bad as people said he was besides the fact that he looked like a kids toy, but we don't have to worry anymore because Tom looks as good as ever nowadays.

11. El-Hazard

El-Hazard I like birds

I agree. I think for the most-part, we were just fine with TOM 3.
    It was a bit of a surprise when they announced the new look.

I never hated him either.
    Sure, I preferred TOM 3, but TOM 4 didn't make me wanna puke blood or anything.

I liked the two new characters they had, but I did miss SARA.

12. Mister Miracle

Mister Miracle The Best Kept Secret

Tom 4's smile still haunts me!! I can't fall asleep, some nights!

Now that the real Tom is back I sleep well and satisfied! :p

13. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter! Moderator

TOM4 wasn't horrible. Sure, he didn't look as good as his other incarnations, but he still kept his mannerisms and attitude.

As for the sidekicks...

D was great. He was like a slightly darker, punchier TOM. Him and TOM4 should have just run the block on their own.

I didn't like Flash. He came off as a bit too chipper and out of place. He felt more like he belonged on Miguzi than Toonami.

14. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

I pretty much agree with the above.

That being said, I still much prefer the TOM2/3 look.

15. DarkMaster

DarkMaster New Member

:bubbles: :blossom::bcup::tom::robin::raven::D:anime::) I love tom2 favorite drawing

16. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy New Member

The Toonami years from 2004 to 2008 were a train wreck.

Everything about Tom 4 was just a failure and its nice that he isn't part of the Toonami canon.

Its crazy to me that DeMarco and everyone else was okay with the look. The look and feel of it is anti Toonami.

17. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

Toonami was no trainwreck until the network decided to make it one. The debut 2004 lineup was all good stuff, and 2005-06 had a lot of good lineups. It wasn't until late 2006 that the lineup began deteriorating, and what got the block killed wasn't the look, it was lack of support after the look debuted, when the premiere programs shifted elsewhere and left Toonami with just Naruto ultimately.

Everything Toonami had was either cancelled or stripped away from it gradually after the summer of 2007. Two potential Toonami-saving programs, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, and sci-fi actioner Kiba, never got to air on the block for various reasons (Kiba never got off of Jetstream, and Moribito, despite being picked up initially to save the block, was dumped to Adult Swim by the Snyder/Sorcher regime who wanted nothing to do with the show).

There was a well-publicized leak in 2007 when Toonami was going to return to four hours, with Storm Hawks and Fantastic Four premieres, two hours of Naruto, One Piece, and DBZ (probably being a placeholder for Moribito) were all going to run. But when Cartoon Network's head of acquisitions, Jennifer Davidson, died just weeks into her tenure (only picking up Moribito before she died), and left the network in Snyder and Sorcher's hands completely, they were ready to depart with the block, Toonami never got its four hours back, and it died less than a year later.

While a lot of people took it personally, Snyder and Sorcher wanted to leave their own mark on the network, and Toonami was a leftover from not one but THREE previous regimes who all decided to keep it going in various capacities. Egos killed Toonami.

18. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

And what mark would that be? CN Real? Hall of Game? Toonami lasted longer than many things before and after it.

19. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

Then why do you think Toonami was originally neglected and then killed, if not because Toonami didn't go with the direction Snyder and Sorcher wanted it to?

At least if Toonami dies now the only people we can blame are ourselves for not watching.

20. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

In regards to TOM4, this thread is pretty amusing