1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The TPP... On the verge of happening

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by I.R. Shokew, Oct 21, 2015.

1. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Everyone should be scared of this - EVERYONE who ain't rich or well off. AT ALL.

To those interested, skip to the 1 - hour mark. It sums up things perfectly. And why I (and you) should be ANGRY and VIOLENT about THIS.

This is dystopian in every way possible. And should be treated as such.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

One thing that's been a topic of discussion here in Canada is that it will introduce milk from other countries that could hurt our farmers. Just the other other day we heard that this milk could contain chemicals and pesticides that are banned in Canada, but legal elsewhere. That's one example of the ramifications of this, but it's alarming. This is a deal so bad that its details have been kept top secret, even though it's supposed to benefit us, the people. It disturbs me that our new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, seems to have no real opinion on this. He's vowed to hold an open discussion on it with Canadians, but also said good things about it. I don't know what to think. This is deeply troubling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I.R. Shokew

4. I.R. Shokew

Further proof that the TPP is bad...
    • Article 18, Section J smells disturbingly like a zombie-SOPA: it requires Internet service providers to play “copyright cops” and take down websites, even without a court order, and rewards them with sweeping legal immunity when they comply.

• Article 18.63 demands that TPP member countries enforce copyright terms 70 YEARS AFTER THE DEATH OF THE CREATOR, even though there’s no evidence that these draconian term lengths benefit content creators. This will keep so much information, art, and creativity out of the public domain for decades longer than necessary, and open the floodgates for copyright-based censorship. Oh, and at the same time, doesn’t export the only good part of US copyright policy — Fair Use provisions.

• Article 18.68 broadly criminalizes circumventing any and all Digital Rights Management (DRM) even on a device that you own for a legitimate purpose. This could make it illegal to unlock your phone or modify a computer so that you could use Linux, for example.

• Article 18.78 on “Trade Secrets” is so broad that it endangers whistleblowers and journalists by criminalizing “unauthorized and willful disclosure of a trade secret including via a computer system.”

• Article 9 on Investor-State Dispute Settlement will allow copyright holders who benefit from that incredibly extended copyright term to sue governments they don’t think are doing enough to protect their copyright — or enough to punish user
    And here's a newstory link re-confirming why this is bad...
    http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...pp?t=dXNlcmlkPTU0NDM3ODMxLGVtYWlsaWQ9MTAwNzQ=

This comment sums up my thoughts perfectly.....
    "No longer is it enough to increase sales by offering a product, why do that when you could merge with a rival to monopolise a market. If your company deals on harmful products: fast food, tobacco and alcohol you would make every effort to increase your market even at the expense of the public. To stop the public learning the harms of what you sell you must control the media industry as well. When you become a company large enough to control all that you must now lobby politicians for the cause of your company, if money doesn't convince them your media will ensure that they don't matter any way. When the media the public gets is no longer just a paper you control but online from each other you must crush and censor anyone who goes against your interests and ensure future generations are educated in schools your company controls so they conform in future.

Now if you control the banks and the military, you can take wealth not by growth, but by robbery and destruction all the while you claim to be helping create the economy and defeat "terror". And they'll believe you, and with TPP you can now sensor those who don't.

When your corporation and a few others have all that you have complete control, a fascist system without anyone even noticing, anyone that matters that is."

5. sun

sun You stay, I go

This is not a good law, it will send jobs overseas. Further it will as said, monopolize many industries and give the corporations even more control over our lives..

6. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

7. stephane dumas

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I.R. Shokew

Thi BUMP was essential - for anyone who is interested.

Here's a full-on reading of what's in the TPP, courtesy of Youtube user and hero, Sargon of Akkad (in 5, long, painful, essential parts!):

9. stephane dumas

Sorry for the bump, but I saw this article from ZeroHedge about the TPP. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-23/obamatrade-will-cost-448000-american-jobs-new-study-finds Here an exterpt of that article.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. stephane dumas

I should had posted on the 2016 Presidential elections but since the main part is about the TPP I thought to post it here.
    http://www.infowars.com/msnbc-censors-sanders-condemning-tpp/

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

The TPP is dead.

The Obama Administration decided not to vote on it today (it's now the next President's job to look it over), and Trump is strongly against it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. stephane dumas

Time to play "Celebration" unless it's a bit premature... ^_^;

13. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

One of the very few good things about the Trump presidency.