1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Top 50 Animated Television Shows

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Greg1, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

"Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crackpot."

[​IMG]

1. The Simpsons (1989) - 104 points

The Simpsons is an Emmy and Peabody Award-winning American animated sitcom created by Matt Groening for the Fox Network. It is a satirical parody of the "Middle American" lifestyle epitomized by its title family, consisting of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. Set in the fictional town of Springfield, the show lampoons many aspects of the human condition, as well as American culture, society as a whole and even television itself.

The family was conceived by Groening shortly before a pitch for a series of animated shorts with James L. Brooks. Groening had been called in to pitch a series of animated shorts, and had intended to present his Life in Hell series. When he realized that animating Life in Hell would require him to rescind publication rights for his life's work, Groening decided to go in another direction. He hurriedly sketched out his version of a dysfunctional family, and named the characters after his own family. Bart was modeled after Groening's older brother, Mark, but given a different name which was chosen as an anagram of "brat."

The Simpson family first appeared in animated form as shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show, with the first episode, "Good Night", airing on April 19, 1987. The family was crudely drawn, because Groening had submitted basic sketches to the animators, assuming they would clean them up; instead they just traced over his drawings.

In 1989, The Simpsons was adapted into a half-hour series for the Fox network by a team of production companies, including what is now the Klasky Csupo animation house. Due to the fledgling position of the Fox network, Jim Brooks obtained an unusual contractual provision that ensured the network could not interfere with the creative process by providing show notes. Groening has been quoted as saying that his goal in creating the show was to "offer an alternative to the audience, and show them there's something else out there than the mainstream trash that they are presented as the only thing." The first full length episode shown was "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" in place of the intended first episode, "Some Enchanted Evening." The latter had to be reanimated after the creators saw the poor quality of the final animation, and was eventually shown as the final episode of the first season.

The Simpsons was an early hit for Fox, and has won several major awards. In its 1998 issue celebrating the greatest achievements in arts and entertainment of the 20th century, Time magazine named The Simpsons the century's best television series. On January 14, 2000 the Simpsons was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It is the longest-running American sitcom, as well as the longest-running American animated program. The Simpsons has been influential on popular culture. Its catchphrases have been adopted into the English lexicon. The annoyed grunt "D'oh!" has entered the English dictionary. It was cited as an influence on many adult-oriented animated sitcoms of the late 1990s.

And there you have it. Discussions and debates shall be allowed here till the end of time.

2. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

All I have to say is....

Where's Freakazoid! and Dexter's Lab?

3. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

The complete list, consolidated:

1. The Simpsons (1989) - 104 points
    2. Futurama (1999) - 79 points
    3. Animaniacs (1993) - 71 points
    4. Batman: The Animated Series (1992) - 65 points
    5. Space Ghost Coast to Coast (1994) - 54 points
    6. Tiny Toon Adventures (1990) - 44 points
    7. Pinky and the Brain (1995) - 43 points
    8. The Ren & Stimpy Show (1991) - 41 points
    9. South Park (1997) - 40 points
    10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) - 35 points
    11. Spongebob Squarepants (1999) - 30 points
    12. Garfield & Friends (1988) - 29 points
    13. The Brak Show (2000) - 25 points
    14. Paranoia Agent (2004) - 24 points
    15. Cartoon Planet (1995) - 24 points
    16. Azumanga Daioh (2002) - 23 points
    17. Animated Tales of the World (2001) - 23 points
    18. Clangers (1969) - 22 points
    19. Powerpuff Girls (1998) - 21 points
    20. Serial Experiment Lain (1998) - 21 points
    21. Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) - 20 points
    22. Gargoyles (1994) - 20 points
    23. Robot Chicken (2005) - 20 points
    24. The Tick (1994) - 19 points
    25. Rocky & Bullwinkle (1959) - 18 points
    26. Family Guy (1999) - 18 points
    27. Bagpuss (1974) - 18 points
    28. Excel Saga (1999) - 18 points
    29. American Dad (2005) - 17 points
    30. Rex the Runt (1998) - 17 points
    31. Invader Zim (2001) - 17 points
    32. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) - 16 points
    33. Clerks: The Animated Series (2000) - 16 points
    34. 2 Stupid Dogs (1993) - 16 points
    35. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (2004) - 15 points
    36. Kim Possible (2002) - 15 points
    37. DuckTales (1987) - 15 points
    38. Shakespeare: The Animated Tales (1992) - 15 points
    39. The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (2001) - 14 points
    40. Rocko's Modern Life (1993) - 14 points
    41. Cowboy Bebop (1998) - 14 points
    42. Mighty Max (1993) - 14 points
    43. The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! (1989) - 13 points
    44. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (1989) - 13 points
    45. Underdog (1964) - 13 points
    46. Superman: The Animated Series (1996) - 13 points
    47. Justice League (2001) - 12 points
    48. The What A Cartoon Show (1995) - 12 points
    49. Doug (1991) - 11 points
    50. Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990) - 11 points

I have too much free time.

4. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

Here are a list of shows that were voted for, but didn't make the cut (in alphabetical order):

Arthur and the Square Knights of the Round Table
    Avenger Penguins
    Batman Beyond
    Bob and Margaret
    Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
    Bump in the Night
    Count Duckula
    The Critic
    Darkwing Duck
    Dexter's Lab
    Ed, Edd and Eddy
    God, the Devil and Bob
    Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi
    Inspector Gadget
    Johnny Quest
    Kimba the White Lion
    The Magic Roundabout
    Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures
    Muppet Babies
    My Gym Partner’s a Monkey
    Pocoyo
    Project Geeker
    Samurai Jack
    Sealab 2021
    Spider-man (60s)
    Spider-man (90s)
    Super Friends
    The Tex Avery Show
    Toon Heads
    X-Men

5. Marcus2

Marcus2 Member

What??

Why was this on the list? You have snubbed a great cartoon like The Fairly OddParents for The Powerpuff Girls, a fairly minor animated series. Remember when the girls beat up Rainbow the Clown? That's precisely when the show should have been looked down upon. The Powerpuff Girls makes most of the lists, but not The Fairly OddParents. At least SpongeBob made most of them. What is wrong with you people??? There is only one children's cartoon that deserves to make it higher than The Fairly OddParents and that is SpongeBob SquarePants.

6. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

Hey guys, the whole "doing lists on the games forum" didn't work out. Was this fun enough to do more lists here?

7. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Oh please. I like Fairly Oddparents a lot too, but what your saying is just your opinion, and isn't fact. I cannot believe you'd tear PPG a new one for that Rainbow the Clown episode, while FOP is just a guilty for doing similar insensitive material. And Fairly Oddparents was never as popular as Powerpuff Girls was in it's heyday. Please don't tell me you joined just to post this silliness.

8. Marcus2

Marcus2 Member

The Powerpuff Girls was never one of cable's highest-rated progams, but The Fairly OddParents IS. You really don't know what you're talking about. The Fairly OddParents was (and still is) nearly as popular as SpongeBob SquarePants is. Meanwhile, Powerpuff Girls was actually not that popular.

9. DarthGonzo

I guess you missed that time when PPG toys, clothes, shoes and other knick knacks were everywhere. For it's time it was one of Cartoon Network's highest rated shows, it was popular with adults, and it was highly influential. I deserves to be on this list. Maybe room could have been made for FOP but I'm not upset that it isn't there. Doesn't make me like the show any less.

And don't flame me. I have no time for that sort of thing. And Fairly Oddparents - despite it's rating - lacks one thing Spongebob does have: a very strong adult fanbase.

10. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

Cool, debate!

I'll take that as a yes.

11. Marcus2

Marcus2 Member

Not that many adults older than college students, unless occasionally, liked the show. And I'm sure it didn't influence anything of major importance. And I did not miss that period of time you mentioned. What a waste of time and money it was to come out with all of that media. Want a picture of reality? The movie only made barely over $11,000,000.

12. Draft

Draft Active Member

You have nothing to compare it to tho since you have no idea if a FOP movie woulda flopped

I like Fop over ppg, but i don't like how you are flamming these people

13. Marcus2

Marcus2 Member

I'm sorry. What am I doing wrong?

14. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Insulting people for having opinions that differ from yours.

15. Marcus2

Marcus2 Member

I am not trying to insult people. I am trying to speak the truth.

16. DarthGonzo

The truth and your opinion are two entirely seperate things. You may be "speaking the truth", but your also doing it in a nasty, biased, condensending way.

In short, your flaming!!

The deal with the movie is that it had seriously bad timing. The Powerpuff craze was long over by the time the movie was released. Do you honestly think a Fairly Oddparents movie released now, at a time when the show's biggest days are behind it, would do better than the Powerpuff Girls Movie?

It's obvious that you simply do not like the Powerpuff Girls because you've done nothing so far but attack the show.

17. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

Marcus, if you want your opinions reflected in these lists, be sure to vote in them.

18. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think Marcus was around for this one, as he just registered. Anyways, take it easy, Marc....it's only a cartoon. Remember that if this gets too out of hand, I'll be forced to use my whacking stick.

19. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

How sad is it that neither the quote or the pictured scene from Family Guy has nothing to do with the griffins?

20. Marcus2

Marcus2 Member

Oh grow up, DarthRat. You're the one who seems more biased than me. From what I saw, you were mean to me from my first post. Powerpuff was NEVER a craze! It was never nearly as popular as Pokemon was in '99. SpongeBob's biggest days were behind it when its movie was released in '04: It only made some $85,000,000 compared to the Rugrats Movie's $100,000,000.