1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Top 12 Worst Parts of Donkey Kong 64" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

The Top 12 Worst Parts of Donkey Kong 64

It's a good thing I still had that old FAQ lying around -- I wouldn't have remembered that owl otherwise. I do, however, remember the beetle. How could I forget him....

I got the Jungle Green N64 back in the day which came with DK64 (still have the box too), and so it was the only game I had on the system for a couple months. It might explain why I would thoroughly complete such punishment. I won't be able to resist rebuying it upscaled on the Wii U, though -- nostalgia is not rational.

The best part of the game was the instruction manual, and that's not a put-down -- the manual (written entirely by Cranky) was really that good. A scan may come with the Wii U version but you can read it here now.

Exclusive for readers who check the forums: If you want to see what the original FAQ would have looked like, it's here.

2. Calvin64

Calvin64 Member

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Why settle with a list of specific minigames? I thought the most frustrating part of the game was the whole damn thing.

I was really excited for DK64 before it came out, but then Rare dropped the ball. This could've been a great 3D platforming successor to the Super NES trilogy. Rareware had built itself a reputation for pushing a console's hardware limitations with mind-blowing graphics and sound and fun gameplay. Instead, we got a slow-paced, boring collect-a-thon with subpar graphics and a bland, forgettable soundtrack. What happened?

I easily consider Donkey Kong 64 Rare's worst game during their Nintendo era.