The Toonzone Sci-Fi/Fantasy Reading Group

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Gatomon41, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Is anyone here interested in starting a reading group for SF novels?

2. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I would if I had better access to books...

3. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

I wouldn't mind, but how would that work? Give everyone one month to read a book and report back to discuss it? Cause depending on the book, it might take me more than a month with my schedule...

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Sounds cool to me. We could have a thread here and a social group to support it.

5. wonderfly

Plus there's the problem of what to choose: preferably something none of us have read. Everyone wanting to participate would probably have to list what they've already read (most of us have done that already) and then we would choose among the rest of the titles on that "Top 100" list. Then you have to decide: contemporary or classic (H.G. Wells vs. Neil Gaiman), or stand alone book vs. a series of books ("I, Robot" vs "The Dark Tower" series). Or were you talking about doing a reading group for not just the books on that list, but for any scifi/fantasy books?

6. Shawn Hopkins

How about we give people two months to read the books and choose relatively short books? No 100,000 word monsters. No trilogies.

We could start by having people nominate books and then vote on the first one, or the first two. And maybe try to pick books that are in print, but a little off the beaten track so you know, you won't have Dune and everyone has already read it.

7. wonderfly

I've never read Dune. But yes, the trick is finding something no one here has read (or if you have read it, it's been so long that you're interested in re-reading it). And yes, stand alone books would be preferred (although it depends on the "series of books" that people might nominate)...

I'd actually be fine with a one month time limit if it's a stand alone novel (if it's not too huge). But then, so far the only ones that have expressed interest are you, me, and Gatomon41...

And to answer this:

With Amazon.com and Ebay, everyone here has access to books...

8. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Well, lack of credit card makes it difficult to buy things online, also lack of cash, lol. But, if you guys happen to read something I have, I might join in.

9. wonderfly

Sorry, I thought it was more of a distance issue (I thought you were saying there was no book stores nearby). Yes, finances could keep you from participating...but I guess it just depends on what you have in your collection already. I'd like to see how many others might be interested in participating though...

10. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

I would, but I'm in the middle of reading A Song of Ice and Fire right now--I'm about a quarter way through book 2--with the new Sword of Truth and Inheritance Cycle books being released in the next couple months...

Not to mention what I'm supposed to be reading for my lit theory class...

So yeah, I'm pretty much covered for reading material for a good long while. Alas.

11. Chaos Yoshi Mage

I did say that it's a bit of both, when I do get some spare cash, I like to spend it on books, but that's difficult when there aren't any bookstores around.

12. EinBebop

EinBebop Kneel Before Zod

Check out your library's website. The way I use my library is I go online, find a book anywhere in my county, have it delivered to my nearest library. My last two districts had self-checkout, so I was in and out in minutes, never had to talk to anyone. It was a beautiful thing.

Why yes, I AM antisocial.

13. wonderfly

I took the liberty of splitting this discussion off from the NPR's Top 100 SF/Fantasy Book discussion thread. The discuss felt like it was strong enough to warrant it's own thread (though I feel we should still use that Top 100 list for our selections...if we get this off the ground, that is).

14. Gatomon41

I'm gald that there's plenty of enough interest in a group.

One month reading period for novels sound fine. And starting off with classics would be good, since its a good chance of finding them on a libarary or used.

If we go with this, I think we should start off with "The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven and Pournelle. It seems like a good book for new and old readers.

15. wonderfly

Well, if you count 4 or 5 people as "enough interest".

"A Mote In God's Eye" was one of the ones I was going to recommend as well, but perhaps everyone interested should list 4 or 5 books they'd be interested in reading.

Looking over that "Top 100" list, I had a realization: There are more "stand alone" Sci-fi Novels than Fantasy Novels. Maybe Tolkein's to blame, but most fantasy novels are part of a trilogy or an ongoing series of novels. That's...problematic, as I like both Sci-Fi and Fantasy equally.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I could stand to make more time for reading fiction. So sure, count me as someone interested.

17. Gatomon41

Listing 4 or 5 novels would be a good way to start.

And maybe we can read a popular short story or two. Like the novels, they have to be well known, and fairly easy to aquire.

18. Shawn Hopkins

I would be fine with The Mote in God's Eye. I don't think I've read that.

But if we're making lists, I would list:

Ender's Game
    American Gods
    Snow Crash
    A Canticle for Liebowitz
    World War Z

19. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

I support the reading of science fiction.

"The Mote In God's Eye" would be fine with me since I've been wanting to read that for a while.

For a short story I would recommend "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Froster. We could get some interesting discussion out of that one. I'd call it a must read for the internet generation, but some people may not want to question such things.

20. wonderfly

If everyone is fine with "A Mote In God's Eye", that's fine. I'd still like to give another day or two for anybody else that wants to sign up to join in the discussion here. I still recommend posting lists of novels we'd each like to read, for comparison (to maybe see what might be good for the next selection). I'll post my list shortly...

In the meantime:

I figured out a way around this: yes, most Fantasy novels are part of a series, but we could just read the first novel in the series, and if we as individuals like it, we can read the rest of the Fantasy series on our own. Or come back to the 2nd novel as part of our reading group at a later date.

I guess it all depends on the Fantasy book though: for instance, Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" is oten thought of as a whole series, and it's massive, so I don't know if I want to even try it, though my brother recommends it big time. But the Raymond Feist's "Riftwar Saga" to me is known more for it's first 2 books which are a complete novel "Magician: Apprentice" and "Magician: Master" (published as just one book in England). It didn't have sequels for years, whereas Robert Jordan was pumping out books continuously. So reading just that one novel (or 2 novels, as published in America) is fine by me. If what I'm saying even makes sense...