1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Super Hero Squad Show" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 7, 2008.

1. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

The thought crossed my mind. Perhaps The Hub could get some of the other Marvel shows that Marvel isn't interested in playing on DXD due to various conflicts of interest. Spectacular Spider-Man perhaps (though it's only 26 episodes) and the Marvel series currently on Nicktoons which Disney will probably not bother airing by the time Nicktoons loses the rights.

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'm pretty happy about the Hub news for Super Hero Squad even though it basically means I can't watch it anymore on HD (My cable package offers no Hub HD mirror channel). The way Cartoon Network buried the show was unforgivable. Not surprising though after how they treated Fantastic Four.

What are the possibilities of World's Greatest Heroes appearing on the Hub after the Nicktoons deal expires? Or would that and Wolverine and The X-Men be more likely to appear on DXD?

My overall problem with DXD is that new shows like Avengers and Ultimate Spider-Man really should be on Disney channel. Why limit the number of viewers? And can anyone come up with a good reason why the new Marvel shows can't be on main-Disney?

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I can think of two reasons.

Disney in the past has actually stated that XD is where the boy-aimed shows will air, and that normal Disney Channel will be for the girl-oriented programs. Marvel shows are generally watched by boys as opposed to girls (not saying that girls don't watch).

Second, Disney Channel mostly airs sitcoms. Its kind of a younger ABC Family. In their eyes, Avengers, X-Men, or Spider-Man might not fit well with Suite Life, Hannah Montanna, or Shake it Up.

And yes, I know that there are exceptions, but that is generally how things have gone in the past.

4. Sketch

Yes those are the reasons but they really aren't good reasons.

I suppose you could argue that because Disney Channel has no emphasis on action what so ever that airing Marvel cartoons on it wouldn't pan out. But I'll site Avatar the Last Airbender as an example of an action show succeeding in a sea of comedies. Stick Marvel Universe next to Phineas and Ferb and you should get plenty of cross-over audience.

I think it would be in Disney's best interest to at least try airing Marvel Universe one night a week on Disney Channel. They could air it on DXD as well but limiting the audience to just DXD seems downright fool hearty.

I would also suggest airing those shows on ABC Saturday mornings but they lost that block.

Disney wants DXD to grow and get into more homes but in the meantime they're really short changing the Marvel series by limiting them to that network and other even less available channels. Especially when they're so quick to throw out anything that didn't get immediate results.

Marvel Universe deserves a shot on Disney Channel. It's Disney's apprehension toward using Marvel brands on their own network that makes their buyout of Marvel feel like such a wasted opportunity.

5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It is time to change and branch out from that mindset. Look how becoming complacent hurt Nickelodeon.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I wasn't saying that they were good reasons, just that those seem to be Disney's mindsets.

7. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

Hurt how? They are both very successful with their shows aimed at the Tween/Teen market. Disney certainly doesn't think it's time to change anything.

Also, DXD is where all the actions shows go.

And Andrew, there's no "Apprehension", don't be silly. They just wouldn't fit with the channels other programs.

8. Sketch

Again I site Avatar: The Last Airbender. Why can Nick do that but Disney Channel got cold feet airing W.I.T.C.H. and has never even tried airing a Marvel show since the purchase of Marvel.

There is certainly apprehension. Even for airing these shows on Disney XD given none of the Marvel shows air on weekdays despite having plenty of episodes to do so, not even in the overnight hours and trying to follow the premiere schedule for Avengers EMH was quite a task. You can't tell me they put premieres on Sunday mornings because they thought it was a good time to air action show premieres compared to say... prime time on any night of the week.

The apprehension comes from the lower ratings these shows pull in compared to Phineas & Ferb, Suite Life and other higher rated boy centric shows on DXD but the apprehension is absolutely there and I'd say anyone who thinks the less than great treatment of Marvel shows on DXD have gotten over the years is just a coincidence then they're being naive.

They could at least try airing Marvel shows one day a week on the Disney Channel to see what results it might get and if they put episodes of Phineas and Ferb around them then they wouldn't even stick out that much. Sure beats putting them on a channel available in a lot less homes and cutting their potential audience in half.

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

After spotting an episode, it looks as though Spidey snuck into The Hub's interstitials for the show.