1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Super Hero Squad Show" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 7, 2008.

1. ktk

ktk Member

Hmm, at this point in time I think I could live with a monthly or semi-regular marathon. Far better than the nothing we've gotten over the past few months. Especially if it stays in this good timeslot.

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Watching the Beta Ray Bill ep. now. I ain't seen this show for so long, I actually missed it.

3. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

In a surprise change, Cartoon Network has revised its October 2011 schedule to include new episodes of The Super Hero Squad Show to be stripped out in a new weekday morning timeslot. Episodes of The Super Hero Squad Show, including the final batch of new episodes of the animated series, will be stripped out in a weekday morning timeslot beginning Monday, October 3rd, 2011 at 7:00am (ET) on Cartoon Network. All the details can be found here.

5. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I should have seen this coming. It's Metajets and Gormiti all over again. I thought that full hour at noon with the improved ratings meant CN might give it a better chance in a later slot, but I guess not. Let's see if they still advertise it.

On the other hand, I don't fully blame them, it's a competitor show after wall, and when CN's contract runs out, it's possible Disney XD will take over.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I was beginning to wonder if they were ever going to run those episodes so I'm just glad to see that they are.

7. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

I hope so.

I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but i've always found the show to be fun and they used characters that don't normally show up in Marvel toons.

8. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, I really doubt that Disney is going to do a Super Hero Squad third or more seasons, although anything is possible. With the lack of news from Marvel Studios, I'm kinda despondent about any good news coming from that quarter.

9. DonkeyKongSong

I never said they were going to make a third season, I meant they could just air it.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Hopefully Disney XD can pick up the show and then we can ACTUALLY see the second season.

11. DonkeyKongSong

Well, honestly, I think this show got kind of lucky in a way. MetaJets and Gormiti were aired at 6am EST, meaning 5am PST. Ouch, I feel sorry for fans of those on the West Coast. SHSS airs at 7am, 6am PST, and though that's still half an hour earlier than The Amazing Spiez! was, it might work to catch kids when they're not asleep or at school (it's possible The Amazing Spiez! may have been on while some kids were at school).

However, since the show isn't vanishing the second it finishes (like MetaJets did), I feel this show could end up going the way of Gormiti (which also premiered in October). It'll probably be rerun until January until it is replaced by something else (it would be incredibly ironic, though possible, if it were Bakugan that replaced it, since SHSS DID replace Bakugan on weekday mornings, since Bakugan is what replaced Gormiti when it vanished). However, since Bakugan's ratings aren't what they used to be (which is probably why it was removed), it's possible that Redakai could replace it if it has enough episodes by then.

About Disney XD, I do have a feeling that this show (along with Wolverine and the X-Men on Nicktoons) are under contract by Cartoon Network and Nicktoons, and may eventually go to XD once the contract expires. It's possible SHSS may get a better slot then.

12. opopopz

opopopz Member

I don't think you understand time zones very well...

SHS is airing at 7:00 AM PST, same as on the east coast.

13. DonkeyKongSong

Whoops, I meant CST. Because I do remember hearing someone in the CN forum mentioning Gormiti being on at 5am, but I guess it was CST.

14. Sixshot

Sixshot New Member

I reallllly wish they'd make a 3rd season... but no news seems to be bad news.

Such an awesome, well-made and funny show with cool references for adults...

So many bad shows drag on forever! It'd be nice if anyone picked it up and kept going!

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's pretty interesting that Cartoon Network is going to rerun the Season 1 episodes now. I missed that when reading the original announcement but I was assuming that the network might be done with the show after getting the remainder of Season 2 out of the way.

16. DonkeyKongSong

I mentioned that in the thread before, when I said "it's going the way of Gormiti". That was a reference to a show CN ran in late '09 called Gormiti: The Lords of Nature Return! which only had 26 episodes in its first season, but it ran Monday-Friday at 6am EST. After episode 26, the show restarted from episode 1 despite CN not ever advertising this show at all and repeated the first 26 episodes in a loop until January. However, a show with similar treatment, MetaJets, was booted immediately after finishing its 40-episode run. I actually was going to say they'd boot SHSS after that since it finished on a Friday (like MetaJets) where Gormiti finished on a Monday. But they may just get what they can out of it before the contract expires.

However, I'm also glad it's not going the way of The Amazing Spiez!, which never even finished its run in the US (the remaining episodes have aired in Canada and some other countries).

17. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Marvel Animation Age caught up with The Super Hero Squad Show Story Editor Matt Wayne to discuss the series finale, airing Friday, October 14th, 2011 on Cartoon Network. The series finale episode of The Super Hero Squad Show, "The Final Battle! (‘Nuff Said!)," is scheduled to air Friday, October 14th, 2011 at 7:00am (ET) on Cartoon Network. Click on the image below for more.

[​IMG]
    Comments?

18. Captain Travis

Can't say I'll miss this show I never once found it funny, but I feel bad for its fans and the creators about the crazy time slots it occupied.

19. DonkeyKongSong

My thoughts exactly. I don't think season 2 ever got a decent timeslot, other than the first two Six Against Infinity episodes.

20. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I enjoyed it myself, though I know it wasn't for everyone. If you're more into dark, serious, intense action-y stuff, then you should avoid The Super Hero Squad Show at all costs, but for those like me, who prefer lighthearted and silly comedy over dark, serious, intense action-y stuff, then TSHSS is right up your alley. (Though I preferred the first season over the second season overall; I preferred Superhero City as the show's main backdrop and I found all of the Infinity and Dark Surfer stuff to be a tad drawn out and overdone, though I do want to see how they're going to wrap this all up.)

Of course the 'crazy time slots' are due to the fact that Turner's arch-rival Disney acquired Marvel over the course of the show and so CN obviously wasn't going to tout their competition's property or give them a desirable time slot. The shoddy treatment that TSHSS got towards its' end was simple politics.