1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The state of the Spidey Comic

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by killercroc, Jun 8, 2001.

1. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

After not reading one for several years I bought two Spidey comics yesterday. Can't remember which title but it was #30 and #31. Him fighting Fusion.

Man, these are just not very good anymore. I hate the way they're drawing Peter now. And Flash.

The story was weak. 300 people got killed and he doesn't even seem that upset. That's not the Parker I remember. The old Parker would have obsessed about it. I really could gone for several paragraphs.

Are there any good comics out there anymore? What about Daredevil: Yellow?

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Different strokes for different folks. I gave up on Amazing Spider Man around the early 290's (a few issues before McFarlane took over. In retrospect, that was a mistake!) and I had started reading the title around #232. So for about 60 issues, I read good Spidey stories and not so good Spidey stories, the same with Peter Parker. It was the multitude of not so good Spidey stories in the latter part of that run that made me drop the book. I only picked up both Amazing Spider Man and Peter Parker with issue 30, each. And I am blown away at how good it is. This may not be the Spider Man Stan Lee and Ditko created, but this is good Spidey just the same, and it takes me back to the joy I had when I first started reading the title all those years ago. I plan on sticking around for a while. I had picked it up now and then here and there thru the years but never liked what they were doing with the character. I think both Amazing Spider Man and Peter Parker are stellar titles.

3. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Re: Re: The state of the Spidey Comic

Actually, in retrospect, the McFarlane issues are not so good unless you are a speculator fan (collect comics to make money). The stories were kind of blah, and McFarlane kinda got lazier as he went along.

The best Spider-Man runs, IMO, are as follows:

ASM 1-38 (Stan Lee/ Steve Ditko)
    ASM 224-251 (Roger Stern/John Romita Jr)
    ASM 39-99 (Stan Lee/John Romita/Gil Kane)

The Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man issues are kind of blah, save for the Peter David run.

John Romita Jr's current drawing style takes getting used to, but he's an excellent storyteller.

4. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Macfarlane

I stopped around the Macfarlane Spider-Man launch. I didn't think it too unfortunate.

He did revolutionize the way Spidey was drawn, but his charater drawing and expressions were rather 2-dimensional and he's stories a little ordinary.

I did catch up recently (after a half arsed attempt to follow the clone saga) with the return of MJ - that was ruined by her buggering off again.

However, I read JMS (Babylon5) first spidey issue and that was excellent. If he continues in this vein the book(s) may be worth picking up again.

5. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

Re: Re: Re: The state of the Spidey Comic

Actually the McFarlane issues were very good. it was the beginning of Peter parker's marriage and David Michelinie put out some very nice stories. I have to agree with JRJR's style. It's too blocky. And I don't like the new colors for ASM.

6. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

I'm sorry to say this, but you're not part of the majority when you say this. Those 2 PPSM issues were very well done. Classic Spidey. And yes there are a lot opf good comics out there. It depends what type you like though. I suggest you try Amazing Spider-Man. It's not as good as PPSM, IMHO, but it's up there.

Mr. Eye

7. Leaping Larry Jojo

Re: Re: Re: Re: The state of the Spidey Comic

Not really, IMO. They outlined some cute moments in Pete's relationship, but Michelinie's run was short on the tooth and intrigue produced by Roger Stern. Sterns's run had chills (Hyde, Tarantula turning into a real spider), thrills (Black Cat's cat and mouse games with Spidey, battle with Juggernaut), mystery (Hobgoblin's intro), and romance (Mary Jane's return, a love triangle).

JRJR is underrated BECAUSE: he can tell a clear story. Open up most issues of X-Men and try to follow the stories without the words. Not very easy. JRJR can tell a story clearly and concisely without the use of words. I do think, however, his art style fits Daredevil more than Spidey. He also did fantastic work on Hulk #25.

8. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

JRJR also did some artwork on UNCANNY X-MEN. He's draws one heckuva mean Wolverine, I'll tell you what. JR doesa great job on the artwork, and I wish he would get the status he deserves. Instead that high status is diven to flash in the pans like Joe Madauri (SP - he's good, but pretty...late). He does a great job on his artwork.

9. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

Re: Re: The state of the Spidey Comic

You don't have to be sorry! I don't mind not being part of the majority. Of course it makes me think that if these are considered very good, then there have been some crappy Spider comics out there since the late eighties when I was reading them.

Now I only read two comics, but they left me feeling unsatisfied. What happened to the great stories like the Sineater?

He's just not the same Spider man that he was. Not that change is bad, but in this case I think it is. He doesn't seem to have that with great power ethic anymore. 300 people died and all he can worry about is MJ.

And where did spidey go after that explosion? It just showed him back at his house. He didn't even keep trying to get fusion.

10. Leaping Larry Jojo

Re: Re: Re: The state of the Spidey Comic

Actually, I kind of agree with you that Spider-Man is not currently in its best years. I recommend you peruse the Roger Stern Amazing Spider-Man run from 224-251 again.