1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Star Wars Trilogy" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Sep 21, 2004.

?

Rate the DVD Set and Post Your Comments

1. *****

68.2%
  2. ****1/2

9.1%
  3. ****

13.6%
  4. ***1/2

4.5%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

4.5%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Special Features
    *Episode IV, A New Hope
    Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
    *Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back
    Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
    *Episode VI, Return of the Jedi
    Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

*"Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy," the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced on the Star Wars saga, and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films
    *Featurettes: The Legendary Creatures of Star Wars, The Birth of the Lightsabre, The Legacy of Star Wars
    *Teasers, trailers, TV spots, still galleries
    *Playable Xbox demo of the new Lucasarts game Star Wars Battlefront
    *The making of the Episode III videogame
    *Exclusive preview of Star Wars: Episode III

It is now officially September 21, 2004 which means the big day is upon us! The original Star Wars Trilogy now available on DVD! The stunning four disc set features all three films from the first trilogy plus a special fourth disc with special features and featurettes galore. All other threads dealing directly with the DVD release (announced features, etc.) are closed (anything currently left open is intened to be) so keep the rest of the discussion here!

To talk about each movie go to the respective talkback...
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
    ...to talk about the commentaries and the fourth disc keep it right here!

2. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Okay, well, I'll start, since I received mine from DeepDiscountDVD on Saturday ... but it's waaay too late right now, so just a couple of quick thoughts for tonight:

Like, I think, most of us, the first time I saw a screen capture of Hayden Christensen substituted into Jedi as "spirit" Anakin, I ... didn't react well. HOWEVER, that's one of the first things I checked out when I got the set; and I've gotta say, seeing it in the flow of the scene, it's really not as bad as I thought.

Based on Disc 4's preview of Episode III, the culmination of that movie will be a huge lightsaber duel, Anakin vs Obi Wan, & it looks like it'll be pretty good, reminiscent of the Darth Maul fight from Episode I. That should make a strong impression, leave us with a strong image of Anakin right before we see him at the end of the movie as Vader. And that may mean that having Christensen as redeemed "spirit" Anakin will resonate better in the saga taken as a whole. Just a thought.

Post over. Bed now. :yawn:

3. Ordinary Guy

Ordinary Guy The Old Dark Knight

Wow! Finally it's here on dvd.

The Star Wars trilogy.

For everyone who is mad because these are not the ORIGINAL versions. I will admit that Lucas should've pulled a Spielberg and release both versions on 2 disc per movie. But hey it's frickin' Star Wars so I'll deal.

The Good:

The sound and picture quality are outstanding. Good job on restoring these after 20 years.

The addition of Hayden Christensen did not bother me at all. The only thing I was disappointed in with this addition is that he is not credited in the end credits.

The addition of Ian McDirmad to Empire was great even with the change in some dialogueto the scene.

The 4th disc especially The Return of Darth Vader featurette is amazing. If your like me and are trying to stay spoiler free of Episode III you will be amazed.

The Bad:

The updated version of Jabba the Hutt in Episode IV I feel looks too cartoonish compared to the one in the 97 version.

The use of Temeura Morrison as the voice of Boba Fett bothers me. Jango Fett was a cool character, but the should've left the original voice of Boba Fett in because it added to them saying in Clones that he was unaltered so he should'nt sound like Jango even though he's a clone. If anyones voice should've been altered it should've been the Stormtroopers because their suppose to be exactly like Jango.

Other than that great job.

4. FredNash

FredNash GiveToMeYourMoneyStupidHo rse!!

I just got this set, and I haven't watched it yet, but I just had to say that I found the (spoilers) tag on this talkback to be incredibly funny.

5. MovieGuy

MovieGuy Lost Fan

The Star Wars Trilogy Review by MovieGuy

So in conclusion, this is a great set.

The Packaging:

PROS: This is a great looking set. I purchased the widescreen collection so I hav the silver box. The front picture of Darth Vader is great and the back that features the original A New Hope artwork was fantastic. You have pull ANOTHER box out of the first box that is also great.

The cover art for each disc is awesome and so is the disc art which features original posters.

So overall, no cons except...

CONS: There is a piece of paper that was put on the side that tells the bonus features and specs. Usually, these are held on by a little piece of rubber cement. This set, a huge piece of rubber coment. Now, I don't know if each is like this, but it was on mine.

Audio: This set has great 5.1 Surround. All I got to say.

Video: All three films has an excellent quality and each film has a great 2.35:1 aspect ratio. All I got to say.

Bonus Features: I'm going to go into it, but this is a great bonus disc. The Empire Of Dreams documentary is one of the best around. The featurettes are interesting and the trailers are fun to watch. But, the main thing you HAVE to watch, the Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith sneak peek. After watching this, I cannpt wait to see the movie. It will probably be the best of Episodes I, II & III.

Overall Score: 10/10

BTW, I was the first one who purchased it at my local Costco. =]

6. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

The beloved Philip J. Fry makes a cameo in the SW DVD:

from http://www.peelified.com/cgi-bin/Futurama/1-003712-1/

I sat and enjoyed my new Original Trilogy Star Wars DVD's last night, and was delighted to see Futurama on the bonus disc. There's a small featurette about the Lightsabre, and at the end, whilst running the credits, they show clips from programs that have parodied the use of the Lightsabre and, as well as the Mark Hamill Simpsons appearance, nestled in the middle was Fry wielding his sabre in War is the H Word, slicing the sphere and spraying candy everywhere.
    Let's face it - it's only a small clip but that's a hell of a lot of coverage considering the sales of the DVD. I just thought it was pretty cool.

7. g_UnIt_GaNsTa

g_UnIt_GaNsTa |||||||||DRINK|||POWERADE |||||

This gets a 7,000/10 because it's just GREAT.

Heh. Big numbers.

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i am very excited to watch empire and jedi. i saw the special edition of a new hope back in 97 only that one time. i have never even seen the other special editions in full since their release. i browsed through some of the features. i was kind of hoping that the episode 3 thing was an exclusive trailer, but it was good regardless. the trailers were cool too. out of all the crazy stuff added on, they could have put the deleted scenes in...anyway, i am very excited to watching the rest of these great films and viewing the rest of the special features. later this week.

the only bad thing about this box set was the box. the box was a piece of crap. it is nothing more than really cheap cardboard. i was expecting the box to be of a little more quality. i put a crease in the flap trying to open this thing. it is a box set, so why damage the box it comes in??? i expecting the box to be the same form as my vhs box set. way more quality there.

yes i know, who complains about box quality???

9. Deadly Messiah

Deadly Messiah Active Member

Haven't watch any of the discs yet (will start that tomorrow), but am I the only one who hates the crappy floppy art box? I expected something as good as teh Indy box, but this was just crap. I'm thinking about just keeping my movies out of the box.

10. JLApe

JLApe Active Member

I've not seen it yet, so I want to know (to those who have already seen it): does this contain the updated versions of the Special Editions ('97) or updated versions of the originals ('77) version?

11. Deadly Messiah

I haven't watched it yet, but it is updated version of the SE. There is stuff from the SE taken out, and there are new things added in to make it a better movie.

12. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

^Yep. For example, Lucas wasn't satisfied with the CG Jabba in the '97 SE A New Hope, so that animation has been updated; and of course, Hayden Christensen is now "spirit" Anakin at the end of Jedi.

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I could hardly wait to crack open the wrappings on this DVD set when I brought it home last night.

And like many fans, the very first thing I went to was the preview of Episode III. We don't really see anything from the movie although we do see Darth Vada again. I really hope this is handled well in the movie. I loved the reaction of the movie crew when they saw Vadar.

I've only been able to skim through the features and give each disc a quick look over. I plan to start watching all three movies beginning tonight. I haven't seen these movies in years and I can't wait to watch them again, digital changes or no. I'll wait until I watch and view the changes to comment on them. I just want to see these movies again.

14. JLApe

JLApe Active Member

And Greedo shot first in this version, right? :D
    What about the Ewoks' music at the end of ROTJ?

15. Beat

Beat Retired

Actually, now Greedo and Han shoot at around the same time. Think a Western duel while sitting down. It's not the original, but it beats the 97 version.

16. Yash

Yash dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura

I wouldn't say the Hayden addition is a good change, but I'd like to steer clear of flamewars.

Also, I'm hopefully having my boxset arrive within the next hour so I'll have my comments then.

17. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Heh, heh -- yep, Greedo's got the itchy trigger finger, & the Ewoks' "YUB YUB!" song is replaced by the more sedate SE celebration music. I haven't compared the DVD with the SE yet, but I think some extra celebration locales have been added at the end of Jedi, including Naboo.

I didn't like the change when I saw the first screen captures of it here on TZ; but seeing it in the flow of the scene, it's not so bad. :)

18. Deadly Messiah

Well I just watched Eps 4 and 5, and they were really good. The picture quality is umbelievably excellent. They look like movies made yesterday, especially ESB. ANd the 5.1 audio is just so freaking cool.

As for added scenes, aside from the change in the emperor in ESB, and the Jabba and Greedo in ANH, what additions have been made in those 2 movies? I didn't notice anything new.

19. Yash

Yash dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura

It looks like Luke has a green lightsaber now.

EDIT: Looks like an error, because when he ignited it the second time it was blue.

20. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

just watched empire today. now i can see why some people arent fond of the special editions. i'm fine with adding new scenes and updating special effects. but i dont like the fact that the dialogue was changed in some scenes. i dont get the point of taking out yoda saying "feel like what?". vader's dialogue also didnt need to be changed when he says "bring me shuttle." in the original empire. he could have just said that and everything would have made sence.

the reworked emperor scene was questionable. the way the new dialogue was set up, it seemed like they didnt know who luke was and that they we're begining to look for him at this point of the movie. bringing in ian mcdiarmid was a good idea, but the dialogue did not need to be changed.

check back tommorow when i discuss jedi.