1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Splat Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Zeether, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Why? Pre-schoolers aren't awake to watch kiddie shows during the night time hours, and most adults don't want to watch pre-school programming unless it's with their kids. There's no reason for the Nick Jr. channel to be Nick Jr. 24/7. Sure, channels such as MTV Hits and blocks like NickMom serve no real purpose, but no one's forcing you to watch any of them.

Getting back to the topic: I think that The Splat will be a programming block that will be considered a channel for legal and advertising purposes. I really don't see Nick launching another whole channel in addition to the 4 that they already have.

#101 Goldstar Neo, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Keep in mind that Nick Jr. doesn't have a West Coast feed, so the adult programming would have to start really late when no one's up, thus serving no purpose. Plus, I don't think any adult would want to turn off a new episode to watch a 10-year old rerun on a preschool channel.

3. Goldstar Neo

And catering to an audience that isn't there by running preschool shows all night long does serves a purpose? Sense no make. Also, NickMom starts at 10 PM (EST). Most adults, even working adults, stay up past 10.

That's generally, though. Most viewers would rather watch something new than a 10-year-old rerun. What channel that said rerun happens to be on is irrelevant.

It makes more sense for The Splat to run on TeeNick since that channel already has the "90s Are All That" block. The Splat could conceivably be run on Nick Jr., I'll give you that, but TeeNick would be less of a stretch, audience wise.

#103 Goldstar Neo, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. Tommypezmaster

Tommypezmaster Active Member

I wonder if this channel will be anything like the earlier version of Boomerange in 2006. Airing a few shows airing outside the 90's.

5. Goldstar Neo

The Splat is a program block, not a channel.

Last night on Comedy Central's At Midnight, Chris Hardwick mentioned The Splat and described it as a block, and since Comedy Central is also owned by Viacom, I'm inclined to go with that.

6. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Still seems completely ridiculous that they'd have all this fanfare for just a programming block. There's got to be more to it than that.

7. Goldstar Neo

I attribute this mostly to Nickelodeon's ratings taking a dip recently. Appeasing 90s kids is a good way to garner attention, but at the same time, it smacks of desperation. It's almost like Nick is saying "Hey! Remember when we used to be great?"

8. SkippyReviews

SkippyReviews New Member

Block or not, I'm happy it's not just 90s stuff, I've wanted to see MLAATR reran for a while now. It's probably going to be on Teen Nick according to the LinkedIn page.

9. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

10. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

11. Toon Master

I wouldn't take anything the New York Daily News reports as fact just yet. I think this is going to air on Teen Nick but I could be wrong. Honestly, they should have just told us whether it would be a block or a channel when they announced it. They're confusing a lot of people.

12. Goldstar Neo

Guys, The Splat is going to be a programming block, not a separate channel. It's just going to 8 hours of old-school Nick shows from the 1990s to the early 2000s. It's basically"The 90s Are All That" but with the 90s taken out of the name so that they can run shows from the beyond that one decade. Nick has no reason nor inclination to launch a 5th channel, and a 24/7 channel couldn't survive on retro programming alone.

13. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Taking away any possible rights issues, let's assume they have them, could they air You Can't Do That On Television? Or they can't air it because of its content, or have to air real late at night with a disclaimer this is not for kids? I think that show ironically lives up to its name today. The firing squad (not to mention how ethnically insensitive it was to Latinos), the dungeon, the fat jokes and other appearance jokes the kids did at each others expense, you can't get away with it on children's television.

If you just add children to the title, in 2015 it lives up to its name. You Can't Do That On (Children's) Television.

#113 zoombie, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  14. C222

C222 New Member

I think they may possibly just get rid of TeenNick all together and rebrand as " The Splat". There's no boundaries with that name especially since they said they wanted to tap into the 2000s. TeenNick desperately needs some kind of rebrand/ change and has nothing going for them and nothing new announced. I don't see Nick @ nite going because they actually have new original programs announced but idk. I just have a feeling there is more to this than this . All of this is just speculation with all these different articles giving different info. Until there is an official press release from Nick than I'll believe it.

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

That's what they should do since all they do is just spam the same five shows, but I think TheSplat will just be a programming block like Nick at Nite, and Adult Swim.

16. Toon Master

And soon the Splat will play the same 5 shows as well.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The block is said to run from 10 PM to 6 AM, so I don't think content would be an issue. (They were able to get away with showing that stuff on kids' TV in the 80's after all.) The main issue surrounding The Splat airing YCDTOT would be re-acquiring the rights to it, and possibly royalties.

18. D-nice is the man.

I'm confused is The Splat replacing TeenNick, the New Name for '90s are all that. and if it does replace TNCK will the live action shows go to of all places Nicktoons, heck you might as well rename Nicktoons Nickelodeon 2.

19. Goldstar Neo

The Splat is an 8 hour program block that will (most likely) be airing on TeeNick. It won't be the entire channel.

20. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre James Earl Jones

Viacom own You Can't Do That On Television lock, stock and barrel. The show is probably considered too old though.