1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Splat Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Zeether, Sep 11, 2015.

1. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

I meant that The Splat will die eventually, pandering to 90's nostalgia kids. But the smart thing will be to change the programming every 7-10 years, with new era of Nick shows.
    PS: Are You Afraid of the Dark aired on T90AAT few years ago

2. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

A bit off topic but still has to do with this upcoming channel: While I see this whole thing as a bad idea because it'll die fast, I think it brings up one of the main problems with cable. Almost all of the channels that were dedicated to a specific topic like History or Discovery have changed their formats to nothing but reality tv. As much as I know this channel will not last as a 90's rerun channel, I have a part of me that wishes it would. At least we'd have one network that is actually what it's supposed to be. Channels like History, Discovery, TLC, Bravo and others should change their names to suit their programming. They have nothing to do with what they were originally intended to be anymore. There is no more choice. I just don't understand what made channels with their original incarnations profitable 20 years ago. People watched it then, why not now?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Not really. She was nominated for a KCA in 2008, the show was nominated for a KCA in 2009, and it basically has been spammed on TeenNick since 2009. Right now, it airs 11 times a day.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

OK, sorry. My mistake then. I really never watched any of Nick's live-action shows outside of You Can't Do That on Television, Space Cases and The Adventures of Pete & Pete, and even then it was mainly the shorts, the specials and the early series episodes.

5. shoohorn

shoohorn Banned

So maybe if it isnt enough they might also air all canceled nicktoons from the 2000s like catscratch and the x's and danny phantom

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

also consider the fact that most people who watched thouse shows in the 90's probably already own them on dvd so they would have no reason to watch this channel unless nick does some classic revivals & new content! this is exactly why we will never get a channel dedicated to video games because both a 90's classic channel & a video game channel is way too specialized! now if this channel combined the two together on the other hand that could work (airing shows about classic video games with the 90's stuff think kinda like a sports discussion show but for classic video games)

EDIT:also look at what happened to boomerrang it started out just airing classic shows then it added modern CN shows like gumball & teen titans go the classic shows it does air like tom & jerry & the flintstones they repeat the same episodes because thouse shows have a certain amount of episodes & yet my dad is either oblivious or doesn't care if he's already seen them! (he claims they are "new episodes") im personally SICK & TIRED of him watching the same episodes of tom & jerry & the flintstones!

#66 Mikurotoro92, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. MasterBandicoot

MasterBandicoot New Member

It looks like it will be its own channel. Good idea because the 90's are all that only showed a few shows at a time.

8. emocobra666

emocobra666 Member

well just look at metv my mom watches it during the week and that channel is just out shows as reruns but they have different blocks. the channel looks to be doing fine imo

9. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Well I'm hyped for this. Who knew this day will finally come?

If The Splat won't have any new and original content, I'm assuming it'll be commercial-free unlike TeenNick (which for some odd reason, still has advertising despite not having any new content right now). And yeah, it can easily replace TeenNick from the looks of it. The sitcoms airing on TeenNick right now could just move to Nicktoons. Yeah, I get that it's called NickTOONS, but I've lost hope in the channel already. Its schedule is too repetitive, and the sitcoms don't seem to go anywhere anytime soon.

I'm still looking forward to The Splat though, even if it'll just be an all-reruns channel akin to Toon Disney and Boomerang (in fact, I'm already making a fantasy schedule for it). It would be fun to see Rocko's Modern Life and The Wild Thornberrys again.

10. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Well-Known Member

I still have a bit of doubts it'll be a new channel though. I feel it could work better as a new channel with new revivals of said old shows, but maybe adding some 90's & 2000's shows as their little aditional fill to the channel. Similar to the new rebranded Boomerang.

But knowing Nickelodeon's case lately.. it could just be a block rebrand for all we know. Though I would be happy to be wrong if it IS a new channel.

11. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

You do know the article on MTV said it was a channel, right?

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

MeTV isn't a cable channel, though.

13. ninetieskids

ninetieskids New Member

According to a WorldScreen article I found on Tumblr, Cyma says, "The ’90s Are All That is getting a new name. We’re calling it The Splat, so we can [tap into programming] from the 2000s. We didn’t want to be limited to the ’90s. We’re trying to take advantage of the social aspect of the people who really want to connect with their old Nickelodeon, so there are a lot of social components to it as well."

I'm starting to think it is a just a re-brand for "The 90s Are All That" afterall... + shows from the 2000s so they aren't "limited" to the 90s, which is pretty much what they're promoting. TeenNick and Nicktoons aren't really popular, so I don't think they'd create a completely new channel, unless they replaced one. Who knows maybe it will be an online library sort of deal, that would be ideal.

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Found the article.

Changing the name of the 90's Are All That makes more sense, not to mention The Splat is a better name anyway.
    The question now is...will the programming block's running time be expanded?

15. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

A block rebrand actually makes more sense considering 90s Are All That's Twitter has been making tweets about As Told by Ginger lately. Not to mention a whole channel with just 11 shows going seems....odd. I guess this means they'll pop in Invader ZIM, ChalkZone, Ginger, Teenage Robot, etc. which is good but I've been buying Nicktoons on DVD lately so, not much here (unless if they are adding Ginger).

I just hope this means the block expands and gets more care, I mean what have they got to lose considering all TeenNick airs is Victorious and Zoey 101 all day.

16. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I thought the concept of launching an entirely 90's channel was a little hokey, a block refresh sounds much more feasible. Did the fate of The Hub resonate with no one in the industry?

Too bad nearly every news outlet has reported this as "NEW 90S NICK CHANNEL COMING SOON". That's a bit frustrating.

17. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Guys, I don't trust WorldScreen. They're making you pay to see the article, which makes things seem off, and I think MTV is more reliable. This could just be click bait.

18. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

How much you wanna bet this channel will either die or become a modern Nicktoons clone within the next few years?

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Honestly, The Splat being a re-branded "90s Are All That" block sounds more plausible to me than it being a whole 'nother channel. Why would Nickelodeon launch a 5th channel when they have 2 digital extra channels that they're barely doing anything with?

All it takes is for one person to type something on the internet and everyone else thinks it's true, regardless if it's accurate or not.

#79 Goldstar Neo, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  20. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

If it IS a new channel, I don't see it lasting very long.