1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Splat Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Zeether, Sep 11, 2015.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

This page on The Splat's website mentions Teennick.

2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

If there's a re-run channel for music (VH1 Classic), I don't see why Viacom can't launch one for cartoons (Splat). In Europe, VH1 Classic has been in loop mode for years. We even still have the old logo. And so what? There aren't any ads either, except perhaps for a few local opt outs. People here are so used to it that any change would be noticed and could turn against them - like rebranding it into MTV Classic, updating the presentation or switching to 16:9. I really don't understand why some of you are making it an issue. It's not. And please don't bring up Boomerang. It's not exactly the same. If you really need those ads in the equation, consider ads for the DVDs. Or cable/subscription fees. As for promotion, the channel is going to promote itself just by existing. Word of mouth. Everyone will know and talk about it. Social media can do wonders. Plus they can promote it on their other channels as well. And when that NickToons movie comes out, you can bet on something too.

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I don't think that Nicktoons movie is happening. According to Jerry Beck, it's not true.

[​IMG]

4. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

The problem is this has been done before, just split into two networks (Nicktoons and Nick GaS). Look at how they turned out. One of them completely shifted programming and the other one no longer exists. People are not going to stick around and watch the same shows repeating over and over again. It gets old fast. Yes, Nickelodeon seems to have a 90's Nicktoons movie in the works, but lets see if that even gets off the ground. A lot of these projects get cancelled.

5. Checkerboard

I don't find Jerry Beck relevant. At all. What does he have to do with it? It's on Variety, Fuse, Wired, TrackingBoard and dozens of other sites. It's definitely more than a rumor.

6. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt MTV is being replaced by The Splat network. It may be better for The Splat to replace Nick@Nite due to less quality and lesser content and overplaying shows.

7. Checkerboard

MTV isn't going anywhere. Ever. Despite what some people may think of it.

8. Toon Master

TrackingBoard isn't a site to be trusted. They've thrown out tons of false rumors in the past.

9. Checkerboard

Not saying I 100% believe it, but such a movie would make sense and go with The Splat. Just because a Jerry Beck says 'no' =/= case closed.

10. Toon Master

I'm not saying it's case closed either but by now I think we'd all expect an official press release.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

If The Splat is going to be an actual TV channel, it won't be replacing MTV. That's not happening. Like it or not, MTV is too big to be replaced with a 90s Nickelodeon reruns channel. If anything, I believe that The Splat (again, assuming that it is indeed a TV channel) will replace eitherTeeNick or Nicktoons for 2 reasons: 1) I don't see Nick wanting to launch a 5th channel when they're already maintaining 4, and 2) rerun channels don't make a lot of money, so what's Nick's incentive to spend a fortune trying to launch The Splat as it's own channel? I'm thinking The Splat will just be a renamed/revamped TeeNick or Nicktoons.

I don't see this happening either. Adults aren't going to watch a bunch of kids' shows all night long, especially without the prospect of seeing anything new. Many adults wouldn't be willing to switch off a new episode of The Daily Show or The Late Show to watch a 20 year old rerun of Rugrats. Some would, but a lot more wouldn't.

#51 Goldstar Neo, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm thinking if it's going to replace any network it'll likely be TeenNick. It makes sense since The Splat will essentially be a longer 90's Are All That. And TeenNick as far as I know, only airs reruns at this point now that Degrassi is leaving.
    Though it would be a good fit for Nicktoons, I rather Nicktoons airs cartoons from the 2000's, while The Splat airs 90's content.

13. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

I don't know If they are replacing TeenNick, what's the point of expanding the brand internationally, if you are closing it down? Maybe it will be some irrelevant Viacom Network, like MTV Jams, they don't even have the website/social mediampresence for it, and MTV2 morning music programming is the same. At the same time, maybe, they are not closing TeenNick, but giving The Splat more airtime, Nick@Nite-ish.
    Also, maybe, if they are closing TeenNick overall, 00s live-action will stay in the daytime schedule, and current live-action will be on NickToons. The thing with The Splat, that the title does not give you any restrictions about the shows, like The 90's are All That.
    Also, who told you, that The Splat will have no original shows? There are a lot of rumors of reboot plans. Having 2-3 original shows will keep advertisers. And they will have the budget, considering Viacom owns every single show in the schedule, and don't have to pay syndication fees

14. Goldstar Neo

1. Those are only rumors as of yet.

2. Even if that's the case, that's only a couple of shows. 2 or 3 new shows amidst a sea of canceled reruns isn't enough to sustain a 24/7 cable channel, at least not for more than a couple of years. Just look at the The Hub. Oh, wait, you can't because that channel ended after only 4 years on the air because it became over reliant on nostalgia.

You believe TrackingBoard, a site that's notorious for posting unfounded rumors, before you believe Jerry Beck, a man who's been involved hands-on in the industry for decades? Interesting...

All of that is proof of nothing. A rumor that's being posted on multiple sites is still just a rumor until it's confirmed to be true. The one source that we haven't heard from regarding this movie yet is the only one that really matters: Nickelodeon/Viacom itself. Until we get an official press release, I'm going to assume that this crossover movie is fake.

#54 Goldstar Neo, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  15. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

1. Yes, but few months ago, before all that web buzz started, I was surfing one web-comunity, completely unrelated to cartoons, and one user told a story, that she was fired/quit from Nick. After that, few other people were asking for some insider info (just for fun, websites general audience are not teenagers). And she told, that few reboots are in talks. In few weeks, all this huge buzz started, and that reminded me, that she was maybe not lying. But that's just me.
    2. It's actually enough. There is a lot of channels that work like that (Talking about Viacom, there's Logo, that has 3 first-run shows a year, one award show, and a huge amount of reruns, but the concept is nice, so it works). You just need a strong idea and great managment.
    The Splat is a great concept. For example, 95% are classics/reruns, but they can promote them with special themed marathons, and interactivity via social media, and they even have a host for that, Stick Stickly. They also have 90's fest, witch can be The Splats KCA's, with once-a-year special about it. They also have a possibility of Where are They Now? kind of show, and some low-budget talk show with Nick live-action actors, discussing nostalgia, 90's et cetera. Yes, you can't run a show like that on a daily premiere basis, but give it 13 episodes a year, and it will bring enough ratings to make it profitable. All that with 2 cartoon reboots (That can simulcast on Nick@Nite, NickToons, NickMom and TV Land just for great numbers in press releases) and annual or biannual TV-specials. It can actually work, because, again, they own the rights for everything, and ad-money and profit from merch/90's fest can finance two cartoons.
    The Hub had a lot of hugely expensive shows, plus, had very little of a real background. Viacom has a lot of media-platforms for grown-ups, plus, a succesful The 90's are All That block. Yeah, it was criticised on ToonZone, but it had nice ratings for late-night block on digital nework no one cares about. With little-to-no promo/investment.

16. Goldstar Neo

1990s nostalgia is hot right now because fans who were kids in the 1990s are currently in their 20s, which is part of the much coveted age demo (18-35) that's most sought after by advertisers. The Splat won't run for years and years because nostalgia for on particular era is fleeting. In the 2020s, 2000s nostalgia will be trendy, and The Splat (assuming that it'll still be around by then) will be revamped to cater to that audience. This channel will likely be a half channel like Nick at Nite or Adult Swim and will only run for a couple of years with few ads or promotion until the lineup becomes stale and repetitive. As long as fans know that a 90s reruns channel won't be now and forever and are OK with that, then it's all good.

17. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

This news sounds awesome! We recently witnessed Noggin's revival, so a 90's Nick revival wasn't far off.
    As for what channel it's going to replace, I think TeenNick will be the most likely choice, because it barley has any originals and is just a channel full of reruns. They can't replace NickToons because their most profitable show at the moment, TMNT, airs there...for seven hours a day.

18. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

I think they will air early 00s shows from the start, that's the point of the rebranding. But yeah, sure, in 7 years, if the channel will be successful, shows like Avatar, MLAATR and Zoey 101 will be all over the schedule, I think

19. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

I wonder if people will stop using NickReboot when this comes?

20. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I'm not sure how much live-action is going to be on the channel, given that the actors from those shows have to be paid a royalty. My guess is that it'll be like 90's Are All That and mainly just be the LA shows Nick has actually produced like All That and Kenan & Kel. The acquisitions like Are You Afraid of the Dark? I don't know about. Even with this, I doubt we're going to see Zoey 101 resurface anywhere. Nick has swept that show under the rug ever since its' star Jamie Lynn Spears got pregnant.

But yeah, The Splat is supposed to feature Nick shows from the 1990's through 2000's.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2269223/nickelodeon-the-splat/

Someone in the comments section of the article I linked to says that they hope to see Yogi Bear, Inspector Gadget, Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain and The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show on The Splat. Hate to burst this person's bubble, but none of those are Nick shows, they're 3rd party acquisitions which Viacom would have to pay for. An archive based channel isn't going to have a ton of money to throw around for 3rd party IPs, plus Nick generally isn't all that big on acquisitions these days.

#60 Silverstar, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015