1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Splat Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Zeether, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

If this Splat is going to be a TV channel, Viacom will likely reformat one of their existing extra tier channels like Nicktoons or TeeNick into Splat rather than launching a new channel. That way they wouldn't have to pay for new air space or have to spring for an HD feed, which a channel with no new programming would have no need for, plus that way there wouldn't be the need to secure a ton of advertisers. (I still think a better option would be to make the channel a mix of classic and contemporary programming, but that's just me.)

In any event, it's clear that Viacom is desperate for ratings and viewers, anytime they're willing to pull the "Memba This?" nostalgia card to try to pull people (many of whom are outside of their usual target demo) in. We'll just have to wait and see how this develops and how long this idea stays afloat.

2. blahblehblih123

I seriously hope it's not a web channel. My internet's too slow for streaming.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

More than likely this will be a streaming channel. Honestly I like that idea better than a TV channel because I don't have a TV in my room.

4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I heard this on Twitter first and I had to check to see who I was following. I assumed it was just a rebrand of the block but now I'm not sure. I guess it could just as well be a streaming service. I think a channel is the least likely but Looney Tunes Fan really made it sound like a possibility, at least to me. Something must be happening to the 90s are All That if they rebranded the Twitter and Tumblr.

5. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

Don't forget Nick GaS. I think there was a point where Nick GaS was just airing the same 5 shows over and over.

6. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre James Earl Jones

Maybe a rebrand of TeenNick, since they cancelled the most successful original and have no other new programming announced. If you watch TeenNick at all you see all the high end advertising is really only on The 90's Are All That. 18-34 is the more lucrative demographic and that could be what it comes down to.

Edit: I've heard elsewhere it may just be a rebrand of the block for broader appeal and nothing more. The "You asked. We answered." leads you to believe it's more than that.

#26 HombreSinNombre, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Since not a lot of money is made off of airing reruns, they should aim for a cheaper alternative like running an official 24/7 streaming channel. However, I'd be satisfied if The Splat ends up being a block taking up a larger chunk of airtime of TeenNick similar to Adult Swim, Jetix, or Nick@Nite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PinkiePie97

I actually would like that because I'm usually sleeping when it's on. I've only seen it once and that's only because I was sick one night and couldn't sleep.

9. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think this is just a rebrand of the 90s Are All That block. MTV.com (a Viacom owned site) has posted a news story about a new network called The Splat. See for yourself.
    http://www.mtv.com/news/2269223/nickelodeon-the-splat/

I just wish we knew when it was happening. I figure though since Degrassi was the last original standing on TeenNick that The Splat will replace TeenNick.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. PinkiePie97

I guess we can rule out a rebrand of the 90s Are All That. I just wish we knew more.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

An article like that one would pretty much confirm that this isn't just a rebrand. They definitely wouldn't make a big deal about The Splat if it was just replacing 90s Are All That. They'll probably have more information on it soon. I'm still kind of leading towards some kind of online channel instead of a TV channel if they only want it to be full of reruns

12. PinkiePie97

You sure? The article specifically says "television channel".

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, I must have missed that when I was reading over the article. My mistake. If it is a TV channel, then I could see them putting any revivals for their older shows there to provide some exclusive content. Plus, any older fans of those shows would probably be more willing to get the channel if it meant that they could see some new episodes of their old favorite shows.

14. PinkiePie97

Does Viacom have any other channels that don't have much happening with it anymore? This is just a thought, but maybe The Splat could be replacing one of those.

15. simpsonsfan

Staff Member Moderator

Besides TeenNick, there's only the music channels MTV Hits, MTV Jams, VH1 Soul and CMT Pure Country. I think VH1 Classic still does well enough in the ratings. I think TeenNick is where The Splat is going.

16. PinkiePie97

You're probably right. Teennick would make more sense than a music channel. It was just a thought I had. I don't know how Viacom's other channels are doing.

17. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

There's also Nicktoons. Besides the NickSports block and a few anime acquisitions, there's not much going on with the channel. The schedule is also a big mess (and yes, it includes live-action sitcoms).

18. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

I think that The Splat should replace one of the other Viacom channels that's full of cheap reality shows.

19. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

As much as I like 90's Nickelodeon, I can't help but think that this is a bad idea. TV networks like this never last unfortunately as we've seen from many of Viacom's Nickelodeon spinoff channels such as Nick GaS and Nicktoons. Either they completely rebrand or shift focus to other programming. Viacom is notorious for letting anything that has to do with older programming loop as we've seen with the 90's Are All That block and the Nick GaS channel. I just can't see this lasting at all. Viacom should look into fixing the actual Nickelodeon channel. I know that streaming is part of the reason why ratings are falling but they haven't been helping themselves with their programming either.

20. simpsonsfan

Staff Member Moderator

MTV? That would be funny to see but not very likely. Besides TeenNick and Nicktoons the only other possibility I could see is Nick at Nite replaced by The Splat and air overnights on Nickelodeon. That way Viacom would get the most viewers they could get since Nick is in more homes than TeenNick and Nicktoons. In the end though I hope for a 24/7 channel.